Great North Run 2013

Options
Hi

I'm thinking about registering to do the GNR next year and wondered if a year is enough time to prepare myself for a run. I currently don't run AT ALL!!! I'm 5ft 8 - 200lbs, size 16 (UK) and at the minute I am onto Week 4 of Insanity and I walk as much as I can. Weight not budging so I need to address that and also my fitness level (although that has improved a lot).

Anyone done it and what would you suggest I do (if it's possible) in the year to best prepare myself.

Thanks.

Christine. x

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    There was a balls up with the emails and registration for this year and I didn't know I had a place till I got the email to say my pack was in the post!

I had to send it all back, which means I have a place for next year....need to start training for it....
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Oh wow Kendra. I want to do it - just once! so I can say "I did that" but really don't want to do it on my own. How far in advance do you think you need to start running and at what distance would you start etc?

I have no clue! haha. xx
  • kendrafallon
    Options
    My plans at the moment are to start with the C25k program, then move on to 10k and from there increase the distance slowly. My brother-in-law ran a marathon a few years back and agrees that this is a pretty good plan. I just haven't managed to convince myself to start the C25k yet!
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    do you get this app on your phone? I've heard people talking about it but my phone is crap. Can you get a dvd or something??

xx
  • nowornever250
    nowornever250 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A year is plenty of time and you can do it!

I did this years gnr and trained from 12 weeks out. Prior to that I started doing the Park Run which is a free to register 5k run, jog, walk in your local park. The one I go is incredibly supportive and some people walk it and some show offs do it in about 18 minutes (if only!). I started out at 38 minutes for 5k and have got faster, but no one cares how fast/slow you are. If you google park run you will find it.

Hope you do it - the email reminder for registration for 2013 is already open in case you didn't know.

Anne
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    do you get this app on your phone? I've heard people talking about it but my phone is crap. Can you get a dvd or something??

xx

Go to the NHS's website (http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx) , it's a podcast you can download. It doesn't have to be put on your phone- it can go on any mp3 player. :)

I'd be tempted to start with the C25K and then go from there. I started myself not even being able to run to the letterbox but four months down the line I'm now running 10k+ a few times a week.

Have you all decided what charity you're running for yet? :)
  • kendrafallon
    Options

xx
    There are a few different apps for the iPhone, it's simply a matter of picking the one that works best for you. Also there are a lot of podcasts out there too, so you don't even need the app.
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yes a year is plenty of time. I did it this year, and decided a year before that i wanted to do it, and was a non runner, and pleased to say i completed it and did it under 3 hours! Not too shabby considering that my training suffered through one thing or another.

Doing it next year! Welcome to help where needed. I may need kick up bum with getting me out training. :)
  • kendrafallon
    Options
    Doing it next year! Welcome to help where needed. I may need kick up bum with getting me out training. :)
    :laugh: I need that to get started running!!! I keep putting it off and putting it off...I will do it though, I will...:bigsmile:
  • sarouk
    sarouk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't done the GNR, or any half marathon for that matter but I reckon that you've got plenty of time to train for it and it'll be a wonderful sense of accomplishment when you cross the finishing line next year. In fact I think you've inspired me to give it a go myself (....now signed-up for the reminder when entries open in November!)
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The C25K is brilliant. I downloaded it on to my mp3 player (my phone's crap as well) I couldn't even run for the 30 secs the first day, but stuck with it. I've finished the 9 weeks now and can run for 40 mins....not very fast, but I do it! I run 3 times per week now, mostly on the treadmill as it's too cold, and hard outside. I'm trying to get out to run more, but it was like starting over, so I'd recommend doing at least some runs outdoors if you're aiming for the run...............I'm too chicken to enter that!
    You'll definately be fit enough if you start now and keep it up!
    Good luck!