NSVs (Non-Scale Victories)

Options
karint74
karint74 Posts: 131 Member
Seeing that number on the scale go down feels great, but that's not the only sign of progress! We work so hard day to day, and sometimes the pace of change seems so slow. Then one day, you notice a huge improvement in strength, endurance, or how your clothes fit. Or maybe it's just easier to say no to the wrong kinds of foods you used to be helpless to resist.

Here are some of my NSVs this week:

1. Today I needed to use the fourth (and smallest) set of hooks for my bra to fit. Less than 2 months ago, I was on the second set of hooks.

2. I can fit into an old pair of jeans I grew out of 2 years ago, but kept because I was in denial. Still a little muffin-toppy, but I'll take it! Size 12, y'all!

3. Yesterday I beat my own lifetime record for longest bike ride in one day. Old record: 28.5 miles. New record: 31 miles!

4. I was able to enjoy 2/3 of a serving of premium ice cream last night--and stop because it was enough.

Share yours!

Replies

• AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome!

I can run up and down the stairs without my knees clicking or worrying about falling down.

My feet don't hurt when they hit the floor.

I bought several pairs of size 10 jeans (down 3+ sizes).

Good week!
  • Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Good job!!

I lost only about 10 pounds total from July to September, but I'd swear since that point, I 'feel' as though I lost more, even if the scale does not say, yet. No, it isn't a redistribution from exercise...lol, must just be on a delay, cause my boyfriend over the weekend commented I seemed noteably thinner in the waist than even last month, (when I was at the same weight.)

:)
  • GmeB
    GmeB Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    flew to Burlington Vermont and didn't have to ask for a seatbelt extender!!! (one of my goals)
  • GmeB
    GmeB Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    had to buy a new belt,ran out of holes
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    These are great ladies! Keep up the awesome work!

1. Went shopping over the weekend and bought jeans another size smaller than I did about 1 1/2-2 months ago. Even though the scale hasn't changed.
    2. Someone from another company that our workgroup has dealings with (and is an AVID runner) traveled with us last month and came up to ask me "what workout do you do? because your arms & shoulders look amazing!"
    3. Measuring after my first phase (30 days) of ChaLean Extreme and having lost inches in my thighs, waist, neck, everywhere.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Today I work I needed to go find a manager from another department. She was sitting with two of her employees. One of these other ladies is someone with whom I come in contact briefly 1-3 times per week. We may be briefly in the other's department or pass in the hall and greet one another. I other words, she's familiar with me but we don't spend much time in one another's presence. So today she waits for me to finish my conversation with her manager, eying me the whole time and then says, "There's something different about you. You've been losing weight, and you look good."

Nice affirmation moment!
  • judykmmg
    judykmmg Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have lost 33 pounds total. I've been plateaued for about 10 days. But all of a sudden, everyone is commenting about my weight loss! I have given my whole closet full of clothes away. I have only been buying the exercise clothes. But I did go from L, XL to a medium. I do not want to buy any regular clothes until the end of the year. Hopefully I'll be a little closer to my goal. I mainly walk for exercise and that alone has been firming me up. Of course I walk a fast pace (for me anyway). I also try to do spurts of running (hate to run).
  • Larisonlj
    Options
    Today I work I needed to go find a manager from another department. She was sitting with two of her employees. One of these other ladies is someone with whom I come in contact briefly 1-3 times per week. We may be briefly in the other's department or pass in the hall and greet one another. I other words, she's familiar with me but we don't spend much time in one another's presence. So today she waits for me to finish my conversation with her manager, eying me the whole time and then says, "There's something different about you. You've been losing weight, and you look good."

Nice affirmation moment!
    Yeah! I know that feels great.
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've got some more this week!

1. I could do (some of) my pushups on my toes in this morning's workout, instead of from the knees. Haven't been able to manage "real" pushups in at least 2 years.

2. At last weekend's Halloween party, I managed not to spend the entire three hours standing around the table and continuously stuffing myself with cookies, brownies, and chips, like I usually would. This was *really* hard, a lot harder than I thought it would be. About 12 Styrofoam cups of water over the course of the evening gave me something to do with my hands.

3. Woke up on Nov. 1 without a candy hangover. Because I didn't eat any candy on Halloween. I think the last time that happened was 2005.

4. One of the twenty-something dancers in my morning class asked if I had lost weight, just out of the blue.

5. During the rainiest week of the years so far, I walked over 25 miles in my new rain boots, proving to myself that the weather is never too awful to walk outside if you're dressed for it.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Literally 5 minutes ago this happened

My youngest daughter (age 19): Mom, are you wearing a skirt?
    Me (Getting ready to go out): Yeah, the only pair of jeans I have that fit are dirty
    Her: Here, try mine.
    Me (scoffing at her): Those are not going to fit me
    Her (rolling her eyes at me): Just try them
    Me (putting on the pants): Holy eff they fit!
    Her: Told you they would. And you look great... well of course you do, those are my jeans!

Not only am I for the first time in my life wearing my kids clothes, they are actually a little too big on me.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,013 Member
    Options
    You ladies are doing amazing. :flowerforyou:

Here are mine for the week:

I bought a new pair of dress pants for work because all of the ones I have are literally falling off of me. They were size 8, not 12-14!

I just got back from my endurance run, which means I wasn't trying to break any speed records. I ran for 1 hour and 10 minutes without stopping. That is a personal record for me by 7 minutes.

One I loved over the summer was that I saw a couple of students I had substitute taught for. As I was walking away, I heard one say to the other, "I wonder how much weight she has lost." (That was about 5 pounds ago.)
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    - when I lie tummy down on the carpet my hip bones hurt.
    - was walking one day n my son n his friend walking towards me didn't realise who the "crazy lady" smiling at them was.
    - my mother rang me to ask me if a particular food was ok (my mentor).
    - my trainer wants a before n after shot on their wall...this is mostly an NSV cos I'm not shy about doing it!
    - another lady told me she saw me walking and thought to herself I want to be like her.
    - I've had people pull up in their cars cos they saw me walking 80+ lbs ago and can't believe it's same person.
  • Larisonlj
    Options
    Literally 5 minutes ago this happened

My youngest daughter (age 19): Mom, are you wearing a skirt?
    Me (Getting ready to go out): Yeah, the only pair of jeans I have that fit are dirty
    Her: Here, try mine.
    Me (scoffing at her): Those are not going to fit me
    Her (rolling her eyes at me): Just try them
    Me (putting on the pants): Holy eff they fit!
    Her: Told you they would. And you look great... well of course you do, those are my jeans!

Not only am I for the first time in my life wearing my kids clothes, they are actually a little too big on me.
    Oh that is WONDERFUL!! Congratulations to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Larisonlj
    Options
    - when I lie tummy down on the carpet my hip bones hurt.
    - was walking one day n my son n his friend walking towards me didn't realise who the "crazy lady" smiling at them was.
    - my mother rang me to ask me if a particular food was ok (my mentor).
    - my trainer wants a before n after shot on their wall...this is mostly an NSV cos I'm not shy about doing it!
    - another lady told me she saw me walking and thought to herself I want to be like her.
    - I've had people pull up in their cars cos they saw me walking 80+ lbs ago and can't believe it's same person.
    Awesome! Be proud, very proud. :smile:
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I can now wear my old clothes in my "other" closet!

I can cross my legs :-)

My bras that I just bought a couple of months ago are now on the last hook, some of my old bras are too big now too!

People are really noticing!!
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    - I had a box of clothes that had been packed up for at least 3 years, some of which had not been worn in about 5 years. I can now wear even the smallest pair of pants that were in that box!
    - I'm shrinking out of my jeans fast enough that I actually bought 4 new pairs this weekend!
    - I wear scrubs to work. My boss has been telling me, "You *REALLY* need to go to the scrub shop and try on some other sizes. It will totally be worth your while." I went last week and order a top 2 sizes smaller than what I had been wearing and pants one size smaller.
    - I sometimes have to throw surgical scrubs over the top of my own scrubs. I recently switched to putting XL scrubs over mine instead of the 2X I had been using.
    - When I bought a couple of new things this weekend, I bought them in MISSES sizes, not WOMENS sizes!
    - Somewhere along the way I had become unsteady walking down stairs, constantly felt as if I was about to fall. Now I've lived in homes with stairs my whole life. I used to make a game of seeing how quickly I could descend a flight of stairs while keeping all of my movements as smooth and fluid as possible. I have recently begun trotting down stairs with confidence again!
    - A co-worker with whom I have only occasional contact took a calculating look at me a couple of weeks ago and said, "There's something different about you. YOU'VE lost weight!"
    - I'm not hating what I eat, and most days it's not a horrible chore to stay within my goals. I begin to believe I can get where I want to go and then stay there. I am making changes that can be more than temporary!
    - My 13-year-old daughter told me this weekend that I have gotten much smaller, "I can SEE it!" She had been very negative in her comments about my weightloss efforts to this point.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed reading all of your stories. These are all really inspiring and you should be very very proud of yourselves. For me it's the fact that tonight I walked outside (37 degrees here) with my hubby through 2 different neighborhoods and at the beginning of this summer I could barely ride my bike that distance without thinking I was going to die. Now I'm not even out of breath and can keep up a good pace the whole time. We've all come so far!
  • mystikfairy61
    mystikfairy61 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Had my first? NSV this week. As I said when I first posted, I have been doing Zumba cardio and toning. The other day when I measured I had actually gained an inch in my waist, but when I tightened my abdominal muscles, I could actually feel with my fingers the tightness. So even though I may have gained an inch, I also gained muscle that I don't think I have had since I was in my 20's!!
  • gaj87
    gaj87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I took my rings in to get sized and when asked what size I thought I was now, I said a 6.5 or maybe a 6. When measured I was a 5.5. I've never been that size.
  • lmunro5394
    lmunro5394 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've focused so much on the scale... I forget to appreciate my NSVs.. So here are mine.

Last week I happened to be at a retail store and decided to just try on some boots to see if they would zip up. Guess what??!!! THEY DID!!!!! I have NEVER been able to wear boots that weren't for plus size women!

I was able to do 10 regular push ups today in strength training class. Not all the way down but close enough!

I'm sure there are more!