I quit! ...smoking that is :)

Options
It will be 7 weeks this Monday (my partner quit too). We both did it cold turkey using the Allen Carr method but we have both been gaining weight. Let's face it...she could afford too, but I really couldn't! I was overweight to begin with. Now, I'm at my all time highest :( I don't feel like myself at all being at the weight I'm at. I'm the kind of girl who gets distracted by her chocolate cake cravings. I am also the kind of girl who buys a gym membership and never sets foot in it for a full year before accepting I should just cancel the darn thing (true story). Apparently, I LOVE to self sabotage and find it super fun!

But... I DID quit smoking after a pack or more a day for 13 years. So, I know I can lose 50+ pounds if I just learn how. I've done WW in the past but am thinking about trying to just count calories instead. Also, today I bought a striiv pedometer (the kind that also gives you challenges and donates to charity if you meet the goals). It seems pretty cool.

Anywho, for all you calorie counters - could you give me some newbie tips? And how the heck do you handle going out to eat? I feel like I seriously need to retrain myself.

(Fun fact while im being honest to strangers online: My girl has no idea I have a pair of running shoes in the back of my closet that I bought 2 years ago, cost over $100 and have never worn.)

:)

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Since you have a history of starting too big and then quitting, why not try starting small?

Instead of trying to lose 2lbs/week, try for 1. Instead of telling yourself that you're going to work out 6 days a week, or start training for a marathon, try committing to a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule, or to walking every day. For that matter try eating maintenance for the first 3 weeks.

Basically, form the HABITS of watching what you eat and exercising, and then you can start to do things like reduce your cals and increase your exercise.
  • littlemsmetal
    Options
    Since you have a history of starting too big and then quitting, why not try starting small?

Instead of trying to lose 2lbs/week, try for 1. Instead of telling yourself that you're going to work out 6 days a week, or start training for a marathon, try committing to a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule, or to walking every day. For that matter try eating maintenance for the first 3 weeks.

Basically, form the HABITS of watching what you eat and exercising, and then you can start to do things like reduce your cals and increase your exercise.

^This sounds like a great idea. We sound very similar and I kick myself knowing if I had just aimed small, how much further I could be rather than aiming big, getting frustrated and quitting.
  • Dani_Davies23
    Options
    Hi there.
    I quit smoking about three weeks ago also using the Allen Carr method.
    Beside one slip up (tip, do not drink four Irish car bombs a few days after quitting smoking)
    I haven't gained weight only because thanks to this website. I find having to log in everything I eat prevents me from just eating because I'm bored etc.
    I've lost seven pounds.
    And although I can't say I don't miss smoking 100%, I find myself able to let go of it more and more as I head into this next phase of my life.
    I think the hardest thing was the fear of not being me, the loudmouth girl at the bar who can drink with the best of them and smoke long into the night.
    I'm still that girl, I'll certainly never be obsessed with fitness, I just don't smoke anymore....oh, and I log in my shots.

So hang in there!
  • AJ716334
    AJ716334 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So great to heat that you quit smoking!! I just celebrated 3 years smoke free yesterday!! I can't believe it. Unfortunately, I *did* gain weight, BUT I never let that discourage me. I tried times before to quit smoking and eat better and exercise all at the same time, and ended up failing. This time, I made the decision that smoking was the #1 self-harm I was doing to my health and focused on that alone. I did end up losing the weight, about a year later. Unfortunately... I've gained that back and then some, due to a combination of factors, but have never regretted my decision to focus on quitting and sticking to it!
    So CONGRATS to you! And don't sweat any weight slip-ups, that's something that has several angles to work on and you're already doing the right thing by being here! :)
  • BeyondTrouble
    BeyondTrouble Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Dani - congratulations on quitting as well! I don't go to bars much but I can only imagine how different/difficult it would be to turn into a non smoker at the places you party at. I tip my hat to you *tip*

Funbobby : 3 years?! That is fantastic!!! I can't wait till I can say its my 3rd anniversary too! Thank you for your words of encouragement and sharing with me your journey through your weight loss and being smoke free :)

It's now 2 months since my original post and my partner and I still haven't smoked a cigarette since the end of Sept. I've been trying to be good -diet & exercise wise - but man did those holidays do a doozie on me! I managed to gain back most of my weight but I am still getting to the gym 3 times and have broken in those hidden brand new running shoes I stored in the back of my closet.

I'm finding my groove and focusing on the fact that I'm proud to have finally kicked that nasty habit. Fat pants or not.

Happy new year :)
  • Dani_Davies23
    Options
    How are you doing not smoking?!!!
    :smile:
  • BeyondTrouble
    BeyondTrouble Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm doing great! I hardly ever think about it to be honest. Sometimes i forget that i quit but when i remember ...i think about how long its been since i last smoked i'm all like "Go Me!" and then I just carry on again with whatever I'm doing.

But How are you doing?! Is it still hard for you at the bar?