WOD surprise/ or know in advance?

Options
bowmab21
bowmab21 Posts: 150 Member
Would you rather know the workout before you go to your box, or surprise when you get there?

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    If I knew what the WOD was I probably wouldn't drag my *kitten* out of bed at 5.30am. It's best kept as a scary surprise.
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I get mine from the local box"s website. He was posting them 1 day at a time, now he posts the WOD's for the whole week. I kind of like it as a surprise, but Not having everything @ home, if I know in advance, I can find a suitable substitute.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    my gym stopped posting them cause too many people were "cherry picking" their workouts...

i kinda like the surprise, that way i never go in having a bad attitude towards the workout! even before they stopped posting them i "unsubscribed" from their facebook feed so I would stay excited. its kinda like christmas every morning haha!
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like to know in advance so I know to wear the right socks :bigsmile:

I got on set days so I really don't cherry pick for those days.
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    I like to know in advance so I know to wear the right socks :bigsmile:

I got on set days so I really don't cherry pick for those days.

Same except I also like to wear different shorts for run heavy WODs.

I always go the same days and time & I meet up with a friend so we hold each other accountable not to cherry pick.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I like to know as well. My box posts in the morning and it tells me what I should wear and allows me to mentally OVER prepare for it. I used to 'cherry pick' my WOD's but not anymore! I have set days that I go, PERIOD.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    my box does NOT post them so we don't get scared off and not show up. I like it that way, because I would probably do just that. I go Mon - Fri but it would be awfully easy to just skip a day I didn't like (currently I dread thrusters, if I knew about them in advance I'd sleep in!)
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I would rather not know and just walk-into my box and whatever the WOD is - I just suck-it up !!!

** I keep my most of my "extra" gear (high-socks, straps, brace, tape, etc) in my bag, so at least I'm prepared **
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I always carry my socks/wraps with me. I leave my lifting shoes at the box.

BUT, with a shoulder injury - I always check. My box will always mod the WOD for me, but if it's a WOD like, HSPU, Pull ups and/or battle ropes, I'm out.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Always know in advance, not cherry picking anymore but our coaches really stress being prepared for a WOD mentally, knowing or at least thinking through any scaling and any injuries or mobility issues so that they can give you proper coaching.

I think of it like my lifting routine, I don't walk into any gym not knowing what I will be doing for the day.

I'm not scared of the workouts, but I have an appropriate respect for them and understand that if I keep working on things I'm good at, I'll never get good at the things I suck at.

Embrace the suck.
  • Mom2thePookies
    Mom2thePookies Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always look at it the night before. I like to mentally prepare myself for it. Especially because I'm not a total newbie but somewhat newbie (started in June) I like to look up the different kinds of lifting just as a "Oh, that's what it is" kind of thing. I also have a bum knee so I like to know where I'll be modifying.
  • blinkinglight
    Options
    Surprise. If I knew I'd be less likely to go.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I always carry my socks/wraps with me. I leave my lifting shoes at the box.

me too
  • Sbiscotti
    Sbiscotti Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    my gym stopped posting them cause too many people were "cherry picking" their workouts...

i kinda like the surprise, that way i never go in having a bad attitude towards the workout! even before they stopped posting them i "unsubscribed" from their facebook feed so I would stay excited. its kinda like christmas every morning haha!

That's what we did. Too much cherry-picking. Now I get to post it the next day (yay coaching 6am!) along with giving shout outs to the top RX man and woman of the day. Now members aim to get to the top.
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like to know but am mentally go no matter what. If its something I'm going at I get psyched. If not, I start strategizing on how to beat the WOD.