Things I wish someone would have told me!

Options
13»

Replies

• heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Mine is still a trooper... With breastfeeding my hormones are still at the place where I'm just not into having relations. I wish I were because prebaby I had quite the appetite for being intimate with my husband....but now I just don't feel it these days. He is very understanding and I let him know that it isn't him, that it is me an my hormones. I still find him very attractive and I love cuddling... Just talk to him. 6 weeks is very important to follow though and even then I was still so sore down there that even if I had felt like it, my body wasn't ready.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just had to resurrect this thread as it seems useful...especially to those of us who are not too far away...
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I just had to resurrect this thread as it seems useful...especially to those of us who are not too far away...

Yeah, this is awesome!

I second grabbing everything from the hospital that's not nailed down. (Ok, not really, but I recommend the mesh panties, the pads (even the best Kotex from Walgreens aren't as good), the gauze pads, Vaseline, squirt bottles, diapers, formula (even if you end up giving that to someone else).) I literally cleaned out the bassinet and the bathroom.

Also, be sure to ask for a formula company "gift bag" from the hospital. It's free. Each of the three major formula brands (Gerber Good Start, Enfamil, and Similac) has one. I got Good Start because I knew I would likely use that if we ended up using formula, but at worst you can give the formula away to someone who needs it and keep the bag. My Gerber bag is awesome!

If you are using formula, ask your pediatrician for formula samples (they give you the small cans) and/or coupons. They get them for free, and that is what they are there for. Sometimes if they don't have the particular brand you need, ask if you can come back at a later time when they get them back "in stock." That's about $12 saved per can, and our pediatrician used to give me two!

Definitely do not have sex until you are cleared to do so. Not only is your cervix not healed, but your vagina is actually a different shape. It's more cup-shaped than tunnel-like, which sounds weird but explains why you bleed when you stand up and move around more than when you are seated/lying down.

Don't feel rushed into having sex again, either. It's going to be weird. We had sex once in early pregnancy the first time, and then not again until 4 months postpartum. I just wasn't feeling it, and all I had to do was tell my husband I was sorry about that. He was fine. Your guy will live. Men have (probably) gone through longer dry spells in their adult lives.

You will get your boobs back, at least back to yourself and your partner, sexually speaking (they may not look the same, though, sorry). I felt like mentally I could never make the switch back to their being sexual playthings after "belonging" to my baby, but it eventually happened, although not immediately upon resuming sex. It probably took another six months after that point (so 10 months postpartum) before I let my husband play with them again, and then it was just like old times :wink: (Note that I stopped nursing/pumping at three months postpartum.) On that note, if you are into having your boobs played with, you will be able to make that mental separation when your baby nurses, so it will totally not be sexual. I promise.

Cluster-feeding: your baby will have moments where, if you are breastfeeding, they will be eating constantly. I kid you not, there will be days when s/he will spend hours on end feeding with little to no breaks. These are supposedly in line with growth spurts, and they are supposed to come at certain expected times. (I forget what they are, especially since my son was doing this even before we left the hospital.) The lactation consultant I saw said that she tells moms that they simply have to cancel whatever they're doing that day, make sure you have good TV or reading lined up, and plan on spending the day on the couch or in bed. And you won't know if until those days actually arrive, either. If you're already able to get breastmilk pumped into bottles, you can let someone else take over for the length of time that bottle lasts to give you, your body, and your boobs a break.

If your baby is screaming, and you feel like you can't take it and are by yourself with him/her, it's perfectly OK to leave the room (as long as s/he is somewhere safe) and go somewhere and close the door for a minute or two. Cry, scream, sit in silence, whatever - it will help retain your sanity. Then breathe, go back in, and handle things.

I will probably get flamed for this last one...

The BIG thing I wish someone had told me (someone did when I was first home and crying and miserable and feeling guilty about breastfeeding) was that you may not be "in love" with your baby right away. Most women are, or at least say they are, but some are not. My son and I didn't have this instant connection that everyone says you are supposed to have. Don't get me wrong; I didn't hate him or want to hurt him or anything like that, and I thought he was adorable, but for the most part he was this needy little being who cluster-fed and cried and pooped and didn't ever sleep, ever (really, ever). Babies that young can't express their personalities, so they can't really endear themselves to you the same way a 6-month-old can. It took a couple of weeks, but after the dust settled I was able to focus on how awesome my son was and how much I really loved him. It's like it took a bit of time for my "mommy gene/instinct/whatever" to kick in. It doesn't make you any less of a mother or a good person or anything if you feel this way. Today I adore my son like nothing else in the world, and I don't beat myself up about not feeling like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread the second he was born. I think things will be different this time around now that I know how much love there will be, but if my frustration and exhaustion seems to exceed the love and adoration in the beginning, I know it will reverse soon enough!
  • speshell4
    Options
    what I wish someone would have told me. - or maybe someone did and I did not listen-

Your epidural can wear off. I had an epidural with my fist. The labor lasts way longer than anyone thought. I remember the nurse saying she is out of the drip. And the doctor saying she is fine for another 30 mins. We will have this baby about by then. Well 3 hours later. I had no epidural. I could feel EVERYTHING! And my boy had to be suctioned out.

You can have different reactions to the epidural each time you get it. With my second I had a horrible allergic reaction to the epidural. I had red bumps all over my body and could not stop itching. I had to have 3 different meds to get that under control.
    You will get more rest at home than in the hospital.- I hated being there after the boys were born. But complications with both deliveries had me in the hospital for longer than I thought. I was not able to get any rest. I was checked on every hour by someone for something.

You will feel a ton of different emotions. – Not all happy. With my second I was rushed in for an emergency C-section after I was in labor waiting to push. We lost Silas’s heart beat and the cord was around his neck. I am very grateful they made the call they did and had the C. however I was SO angry with my husband. I was angry that he was able to spend about 3 hours with our new son while I was passed out from all the drugs. I was angry that he held him first and had this bonding time with him that I missed. I thought for weeks that Silas would love his dad more because of that bonding time. I was wrong- That baby is a mama’s boy!!!

I am on baby #3 and still learning so much from everyone.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Also, I really wish someone had told me to sleep while I still could. I'm so sorry I never heard that one before I had my son :tongue:
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    heather- where did you get your good nursing bras from?

also, what do you think will happen if you have sex before 6 wks??

For an aquaintance of mine having sex before the 6 weeks resulted in her milk drying up....a nursing mother's milk drys up when she's is PREGNANT. Talk about Irish twins! The best part is that her husband was super embarassed about it b/c he is a GYN and should have known better :laugh:
  • annamerrick
    annamerrick Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Remembered another one...I've mentioned this before on previous posts...but I think it worth saying again. If you are nursing most likely you will have raw nipples. "Soothies" were lifesavers and bring them with you to the hospital! When you shower put on the Lanolin cream before getting into the shower. The water from the shower will feel like razor blades on your tender nipples and the ointment helps protect them from the water (aka water razorblades! lol). Trust me...learned this lesson the hard way!

^^ This!! Soothies are the worlds best invention. I wish I had known about them for my first baby. Definitely get some for yourself (they last about 2 days) but ask for them while still in the hospital--my hospital gave them to while I was still there after delivering my second, which is how I learned about their awesomeness....!
  • annamerrick
    annamerrick Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Another one - take those mesh panties from the hospital home with you, and ask for more on the way out. :laugh: They came in so handy those first few days home from the hospital when I was recovering from a c-section. :smile:

Not only the mesh panties, but the pads with the cold-pack inside it. Those things are amazing!! My hospital only gave me enough for during my stay, but I asked for more before leaving and got a good supply. They are a must for post-vag delivery!!

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere else and it is a little TMI, but something I really wish someone would have told me before delivering my first baby is that when you get to pushing, you really need to pretend like you're pushing a poop out. Right before you're ready to push you may feel like you have to poop. I did with both my boys, and could feel it even with an epidural. With my first I thought I really did have to use the bathroom so I called the nurse to see what I should do (since I couldn't get out of bed with an epidural in). I told her that I thought I needed to make a bm, and she laughed and told me that was the baby. Yet, it would have been helpful to know that to deliver the baby I needed to push like pushing out a bm. With my first I pushed for 2 1/2 hours because I had NO idea what I was supposed to be doing. I finally figured it out right at the end. With my second I pushed for 12 minutes and out he came. And yes, you may or may not actually push some actual poop out too.

The best advice when it comes to babies is what was mentioned above--DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU! Consider what others tell you and give things a try, but if you find something that works, DO IT (as long as its safe for you and baby). Once I figured this out I was so much happier and confident as a mother. Example--With both my first and second son, at night I slept on our sectional couch in the corner, sitting up with my legs extended, holding baby supported on a boppy, for the first 6-8 weeks. Baby would sleep longer (5-6 hours) and therefore I could get the rest I needed. We had no problems transitioning either one to the crib and for the most part they continued to sleep 5-6 hours and then longer. I'm not saying that everyone should do this but just wanted to give an example of something I decided was best for me and my family, and I'm happy that I didn't listen to advice against it.

Good luck all!!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Another one - take those mesh panties from the hospital home with you, and ask for more on the way out. :laugh: They came in so handy those first few days home from the hospital when I was recovering from a c-section. :smile:

Not only the mesh panties, but the pads with the cold-pack inside it. Those things are amazing!! My hospital only gave me enough for during my stay, but I asked for more before leaving and got a good supply. They are a must for post-vag delivery!!

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere else and it is a little TMI, but something I really wish someone would have told me before delivering my first baby is that when you get to pushing, you really need to pretend like you're pushing a poop out. Right before you're ready to push you may feel like you have to poop. I did with both my boys, and could feel it even with an epidural. With my first I thought I really did have to use the bathroom so I called the nurse to see what I should do (since I couldn't get out of bed with an epidural in). I told her that I thought I needed to make a bm, and she laughed and told me that was the baby. Yet, it would have been helpful to know that to deliver the baby I needed to push like pushing out a bm. With my first I pushed for 2 1/2 hours because I had NO idea what I was supposed to be doing. I finally figured it out right at the end. With my second I pushed for 12 minutes and out he came. And yes, you may or may not actually push some actual poop out too.

The best advice when it comes to babies is what was mentioned above--DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU! Consider what others tell you and give things a try, but if you find something that works, DO IT (as long as its safe for you and baby). Once I figured this out I was so much happier and confident as a mother. Example--With both my first and second son, at night I slept on our sectional couch in the corner, sitting up with my legs extended, holding baby supported on a boppy, for the first 6-8 weeks. Baby would sleep longer (5-6 hours) and therefore I could get the rest I needed. We had no problems transitioning either one to the crib and for the most part they continued to sleep 5-6 hours and then longer. I'm not saying that everyone should do this but just wanted to give an example of something I decided was best for me and my family, and I'm happy that I didn't listen to advice against it.

Good luck all!!

YES, pushing is just like pooping. With my son, my first push was only "eh," then they told me to push like I was pooping, and two pushes later, my son was born! It's so much easier when you think of it that way.

That's awesome about the sofa/Boppy thing. I slept on the sectional with my son downstairs for the first couple of weeks (he was in a bassinet - we are self-employed, so if my husband didn't work, there was no money, so I wanted him to get some normal sleep), and we transitioned to the crib just fine. I didn't know until after it was too late that the Boppy was so good for things other than breastfeeding, but now I know! I will have to try that, since I'm sure I'll spend a couple of weeks on the couch again!