Breast Stroke???

Options
rides4sanity
rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
I am much more comfortable with the breast stroke over freestyle. Mostly because it's easier for me to breath, neck issues are rough, and because I haven't figured out how to kick in freestyle. I'm taking lessons to get my freestyle down, but was wondering if anybody actually has used breast stroke in a tri? I know it isn't as fast, but it is better than drowning.

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I did intervals of breast stroke and front crawl in a tri. It was fine :)
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Thanks leila
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've swam over a couple people doing brest stroke in a tri ;)

People do use it; I never have. I would just make sure you are either to the side or back when starting to make sure no one can bump into you.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I used it in my Tri this year..
  • brits111383
    Options
    I would be really careful when choosing to do breaststroke. The kick can take out another swimmer really easily. I do not appreciate it when the person in front of or next to me feels tired and completely whacks me in the shoulder, head or gut when switching to breaststroke. If you're tired and in a pack of swimmers, you should really slow down or move off to the side before switching to breaststroke. If you don't have someone behind or next to you in the water, switching to breaststroke is fine, but sometimes that's hard to know in a race. Just be cognizant and considerate.
  • realredhead79
    realredhead79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've used it. The goal is forward progress no matter how you get there.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'll say is breast stroke won't ingratiate yourself to other triathletes. Getting kicked in the face with a freestyle kick is one thing, getting kicked in the face by someone doing breast stroke is a whole other ballgame.
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    I wondered about the wide stroke, but to tell you the truth, I am extremely claustraphobic and will start back anyway. I've not done a tri, but this has been one of my biggest probelms when starting a non-chipped or mass start race in the past. Especailly a 5k, the minutes it takes me to get to the line past the strollers and friends walking hand in hand cost me dearly.

My freestyle is coming along so I think it'll be okay, but if I panic I have a feeling I'll revert to breast stroke just to get my barings.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is a triathlete but has a nasty shoulder issue, so she can't do freestyle arms. She actually grew up a swimmer, so she is pretty aware of good technique, but her shoulder just can't handle freestyle. She does a breast stroke arm with small freestyle kick. You could try a combination of strokes? You'll be faster with freestyle, but if you are having issues, you have to adjust to what works for you! :)
  • alaliberte
    Options
    Could you just do the back stroke instead? I know it's hard to get your bearings on your back but you could roll over from time to time or use the beach to spot yourself from going off course. The breast stroke is just so slow...back stroke is faster. But it's true that the goal is to advance in a Tri no matter how you get there...however I'd stay toward the back of your heat so you don't get trampled.
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Thanks all, definitely starting in the back and really hoping to have a better handle on my freestyle by then, but the suggestions are much appreciated.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I know everyone says that breast stroke is so slow, but.. I learned breast stroke when I was a kid before the crawl so I am much faster doing that (and more comfortable!). I used that for both my triathlons this season (alternating with the crawl) and it was not a problem at all - I, like you, like to have my face out of the water!
  • jerikris
    Options
    Did an Ironman this year before I had perfected my freestyle - alternated between freestyle and breaststroke. It wasn't very fast, but I finished without being shredded.
  • wannabfit34
    wannabfit34 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A buddy of mine used it in a tri that he was injured for. It slows you down but if you are good at it then maybe it won't slow you that much especially if you are not comfortable with freestyle