Autism Schmautism

Options
perfectingpatti
perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
Our 12 year old son, David, has autism. He begged us all of last year (6th grade) to try out for football when he got to intermediate school. We kept telling him no. I felt strongly about it because I thought he'd be made fun of or treated badly. My husband thought he'd get hurt. He cannot control his emotions, so I thought he'd end up crying at practice or a game and that would bring him all kinds of grief with the other guys. One night, he was in our room and asked again. His dad said no. David looked at us and said, "Y'all are closing doors of opportunity for me more than my autism is and I hope you know that", and he left our room.

This is David after his 6th game last night. They are undefeated. He made 2 awesome tackles in last night's game. The other players were pounding on his shoulder pads and helmet to let him know what a great job he had done. His coach told him how proud he is of him. He's never cried during practice or a game. He is loving it. He's taught us a great deal.

David20_zps7b366be0.jpg

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It can be hard - I can remember standing on the sideline watching my then six year old trying out for football (soccer) and hating it. He is 13 now and one of the top students in his year and is good at most of the sports including team sport such as rugby and basketball.

I think all kids surprise us parents along the way but those with autism especially so. Well done to your son and also well done to you to raising such a fantastic kid.
  • dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This literally just brought a tear. How wonderful for your son!! I love stories like this when classmates or teammates really make someone feel like part of a team. Good for your son and good for you and your husband! You must be so proud. :)
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Our 12 year old son, David, has autism. He begged us all of last year (6th grade) to try out for football when he got to intermediate school. We kept telling him no. I felt strongly about it because I thought he'd be made fun of or treated badly. My husband thought he'd get hurt. He cannot control his emotions, so I thought he'd end up crying at practice or a game and that would bring him all kinds of grief with the other guys. One night, he was in our room and asked again. His dad said no. David looked at us and said, "Y'all are closing doors of opportunity for me more than my autism is and I hope you know that", and he left our room.

This is David after his 6th game last night. They are undefeated. He made 2 awesome tackles in last night's game. The other players were pounding on his shoulder pads and helmet to let him know what a great job he had done. His coach told him how proud he is of him. He's never cried during practice or a game. He is loving it. He's taught us a great deal.

David20_zps7b366be0.jpg

Oh My God! I love this. Thank you for sharing. It not only puts things into perspective but gives me stuff to work towards as my toddler grows. It really brings a tear to my eye.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    David had his last game of the season tonight. They played for the championship and lost so they got 2nd in district. All night he kept thanking us for letting him play.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love this story. Both my sons are Aspergers and we never let it define who they were. Matthew is a state qualified wrestler and Danny played football for a bit. Matt was teased when he first joined the team but as his skills developed the other boys came to accept him. It was the greatest feeling. Danny it was kind of the other way it was harder for him to be accepted by the team but he loves the game. Autistic children are amazing in what they can set their minds too. So I was so glad tor ead your story. It made me feel so proud of what our kids can do!
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

David20_zps7b366be0.jpg

Go David! What a wonderful photo. Congratulations to all of you