Getting sick from smelling food?

Options
I let my band mates get some fast food while I drove them home the other day, and by the time I got home, I had a headache and was vomiting. The only things I'd had for food at that point were Corn Chex, baby carrots, and some cheese. I had also had carrots and cheese the evening before for a snack; they didn't make me ill then. My grandmother thinks that even just breathing in such a small area (my car) with high-gluten foods is what made me ill.

Has anyone else had this happen? Could my grandmother be right? Do I really have to restrict my friends' needs while in my car? What do I do? Please, someone help me figure this out. Thanks!

Replies

• dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have read that some people are sensitive enough to gluten, that they react by inhaling it. I believe that to be true, because I not only react to gluten, but corn as well. I think my corn sensitivity is the worst, I react to smelling it.
    It truly sucks, doesn't it?
  • JMStockman1979
    Options
    Yes, it does suck! I had NO clue I could be that sensitive to it. I know that even a small taste will give me headaches and cause vomiting as well as digestive issues, but I didn't know that just breathing it in would cause issues. I suppose that explains some of the cause for the constant headaches I've had all my life before going G-Free.

Thanks for your input, and CONGRATS! 1 lb til goal! Good for you!
  • jnoring
    Options
    My boyfriend loves Taco Johns and when he eats it the smell just makes me horribly sick to my stomach. It’s almost a blessing because I won’t be dumb and try a little bit!
  • JMStockman1979
    Options
    Thanks for your input! I agree; knowing how violently sick I'll get, I know I won't be dumb and try any when people offer. My band mates offered to get me something or share some of theirs, but I refused. I'm so very glad I did, more so now because I've learned that smelling it will make me sick.