African dance. Took my 1rst class last night.

Options
African dance. cRaZy fUn!!! Anybody else ever done it?

Replies

• imalexgirl
    Options
    I have not tried it, but I have a friend who teaches it. It sounds fun, but very intense. Let us know how you like it as it goes...I may get brave and try it!
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Awesome! My school teaches tribal belly dance, which has some African elements, but not the real thing. Let us know how it goes!
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    It's very connected to Earth! Feet are flat on the ground most of the time (unlike ballet and such) and the arms are very expressive. Mostly I'm amazed at the core control necessary. Holy Mackeral, how Do they DO that? look on youtube. It's awesome. I'm really excited to learn to move it like they groove it. I've got a lotta backup to do it with too! ; ) Booty Baby is where it's at in this class. For once I'm "in style".
    PS> 1hr45min = 383 cals burned happily. We stood around a lot though, learning to sing the African song that went with the dance.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I totally love african dance. I did a workshop in the summer and I thought it was amazing. Unfortunately I don't have enough time in the week to do another activity, otherwise I'd be all over it.
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    Had to give it up as it wasn't good for my Meniscus-less left knee.... Sad. It was SOOOO much fun and very liberating!
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Had to give it up as it wasn't good for my Meniscus-less left knee.... Sad. It was SOOOO much fun and very liberating!

That's so sad! I hope you find other ways to dance....