Where do you buy meat substitutes from?

Options
Hi, I see there are only two other members of this group but I've got a UK specific question so I hope you can help. I really fancy a burger. I used to get Linda McCartney Mozzarella ¼lb Burgers from Tesco and loved them. REALLY LOVED THEM. Now they no longer stock them and have a pitiful vegetarian section that is sometimes totally empty. I've looked at Tesco online and they don't do them on there either. All they have is a sort of vegetable hash brown thing that is nothing like a burger. I could make my own but I cook fresh food from scratch all week and sometimes I just want to shove something in the oven and it be easy. So where do you buy your food from? Where has a good selection?

Replies

• HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Asda online do a good range I think and morrisons always have plenty of stock. If you have a heron or a farmfoods they usually have quite of a lot of different products i've never seen elsewhere like quorn "tuna" fish cakes. My local tesco still stock the mozeralla burgers so it might be worth a walk to another local store to see if they have any :D

Good luck!

I set the group up as I get fed up of people mentioning great products that us UK folk cannot buy!
  • pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There's a Sainsbury's near me that stocks LM's Mozzarella ¼lb Burgers, so if there's a Sainsbury's near you, you could try there? I've always found that of the 'big' supermarkets, Sainsbury's is one of the better options for vegetarian and vegan food, generally speaking. (Although my local Tesco does seem to be improving. The same clearly can't be said for yours!) Alternatively, a lot of health food stores seem to get LM's stuff in, so even if they don't stock them specifically, it might be worth asking if they could order some in for you -- or if not, they'd probably be able to point you in the right direction of somewhere equally local that sells them.
  • Clcleeds2012
    Options
    Sorry I only just saw these reply's!! It looks like I'm going to have to go to Waitrose (one hours drive) because there is no Sainsbury's where I live or Morrisons (forty min drive). It's a pain but I really miss those burgers! Thanks for the info guys. :smile:
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Holland and Barrett are a bit variable but usually have some meat and diary subs (and good sales). Sainsburies have cauldron and quorn as well as own brand sausages and burgers.

Goodness direct does online delivery so you could order a lot and freeze if thats possible for you
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love the Vegusto meat (and cheese). It's a bit pricey, but tastes great.!

Also, have you fried making your own seitan? It's pretty easy to do, and you can make a big batch and work through it slowly...
  • Clcleeds2012
    Options
    I've never heard of seitan! I'll have to look it up.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you do want to try making it, the cheapest place to buy the wheat gluten from is Low Carb Superstore, it is ridiculously expensive everywhere else. I make seitan sausages from the recipe in the Post Punk Kitchen vegan brunch book...
  • Clcleeds2012
    Options
    Thank you, I think I'll try that at the weekend :happy:
  • BritishVegGirl
    BritishVegGirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Independant health food stores do quite a lot of fake meats :-)
  • Dzouan
    Dzouan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was inspired to have a go at making seitan this weekend (from flour rather than gluten) after reading about it here. I'd eaten it once in a restaurant and hadn't enjoyed it at all (tough and leathery). The homemade one was so much better though, really tasty and a nice texture. It seems very healthy compared to most commercial fake meats and has given me so many ideas for new meals. It's great to have something that's quick to prepare when you get home late too.

Thanks for suggesting it!
  • bunnylover91
    Options
    Ive never made setan before but im tempted :-)
  • shellythepink
    Options
    I've made seitan quite a lot. It tastes very different depending on how you cook it. I'm not keen on it boiled as it gets a strange spongy texture, but I love it baked in the oven. The flour seems expensive, but it goes a long way and is very filling.
    Most of the meat sub burgers tend to be quorn or have eggs in. Once you get onto vegan burgers they are often nut, bean or vegetable mixtures. Sains sells the Linda Mac burgers, but they are expensive. Have you thought of getting some of the burger mixes that you just add water too? My hubby likes a few of those and they are very quick to make and are more along the meaty textures. I have seen seitan mixes that you can buy to make ribs and things, but haven't tried any. I agree that you're probably best to make your own and put them in the freezer for days when you don't feel like making anything.
  • mikeroobuddha
    Options
    What about Tempeh if you're lookinbg for an alternative source of protein? I have had mine from http://www.freshtempeh.co.uk/ and it's really versatile and a bit different.....

I'm going to give the seitan a try but would be interested to hear of any other ideas... feel free to add me as I'm always open to new suggestions :smile:
  • antileah
    antileah Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Iceland veggie burgers are not full of nasties and they taste quite good, my boyfriend really likes them but I'm not really a fake meat lover! The make your own mixes are a lot better and in fact the best ones I've ever had were one's that the other half made out of kidney beans and various other things, he modified a recipe he found online with just random things we had in the cupboards, I don't see why you couldn't freeze a batch of them!
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    H&B, although only when they have the sale on!