Election day USA

Options
I'm not American so don't know how this will go down as I don't know how sensitive the topic is, but how does everyone feel about the impact of religion in this election? Has it grown in importance or decreased since the last election? Are bigger issues like the economy getting more attention this time round?

Replies

• thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think religion plays a huge part in it. At least that's not what I head people discuss. It's mostly the economy and social issues. Though I guess many of the viewpoints on social issues have root in people's religious beliefs (abortion, gay rights, etc).
    I was going to post something this morning: I am curious if there are any Republican atheists. It seems an oxymoron to me somehow.
    I am hardcore liberal and will be voting for Obama.
    I truly feel that only ill-educated people or selfish white males could vote Republican. Women who vote republican make no sense to me. Someone on Facebook posted a picture that said "Women voting Republican" and showed an illustration of a woman punching herself in the face. So right on.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I agree with thektturner. People aren't focusing on religion as the deciding aspect of who to vote for, but so many conservative viewpoints are based on their religious beleifs that it's impossible to separate the two. Ask someone their opinion on gay marriage, on abortion, if they are against those things, it is almost without exception linked to their faith. And because the religious right has done such a great job at tying these social issues into religion, they are convinced that all of the other conservative positions must be god's will too.

Even when I was religious, it made no sense to me how the "fend for yourself, we don't watch out for each other, we only watch out for ourselves!" attitude of republicans got linked to christianity, when every sermon I heard in church talked about selflessness and love.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    No, the economy is not one of their hot topics. It's all about social issues (religious crap). They cater to the religious reight (american taliban), who is growing like a creeping plaque across the nation. They have the money, thus they have the power. The more "holier" you are, the more supporters you have. We might have the right to vote, but our votes dont count. The Electoral College decides who will win office. If 99.9% of the country (popular vote) voted candidate A, but the Electoral College voted candidate B, candidate B would win...the EC is "the decider". The US is not a free country...contrary to what most people around the world believe.
  • CollegiateGrief
    Options
    If 99.9% of the country (popular vote) voted candidate A, but the Electoral College voted candidate B, candidate B would win

I'm not an expert by any means, but as long as the electoral college reps from each state go with whom their state chose, that would not be possible. The religious right agravates me as much as anyone, and they are a damn large segment of the population, but it's not hopeless. Gen Y will soon replace the Silent Generation, and the conservative/liberal dichotomy will start to lean more liberal.

I like to look at this desperate push from the uber conservatives as a death cry. They see themselves fading, and they're lashing out. But reason will win. Eventually, it will win.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'm republican and believe in the supernatrual, but I voted Obama. We gave someone 8 years to screw it up, let's give this man a second chance to see if he can fix it. While I am against abortion, I can't vote for someone who supports a moron who says real rape won't cause a woman to get pregnant. I am against same sex marriage because of my faith yes, but I voted for it because who am I to judge anyone? I did vote against gambling. Nothing like bleeding the poor even more dry. I did vote against letting illegals pay in state tuition prices. Screw that. My grandparents came legally, so can everyone else. Anyway, God bless you all.
  • CollegiateGrief
    Options
    P.S. - FOUR MORE YEARS! :D
  • thektturner
    Options
    If 99.9% of the country (popular vote) voted candidate A, but the Electoral College voted candidate B, candidate B would win

I'm not an expert by any means, but as long as the electoral college reps from each state go with whom their state chose, that would not be possible.

It has happened on rare ocassion, that the electoral votes for a state will go against the popular vote, but that is basically suicide for someone in an elected position and, therefore, again is a very RARE case.
  • thektturner
    Options
    I like to look at this desperate push from the uber conservatives as a death cry. They see themselves fading, and they're lashing out. But reason will win. Eventually, it will win.

Also.... Dear jebus, I hope you are right.

I look at the gay rights issue exactly how progressives back in the day looked at African American rights. How dare we hold anyone back because of people's prejudice? I hope some day the country looks back on this time with shame just like we now do that struggle.
  • chemalurgy
    chemalurgy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    In Oklahoma where I live, if you asked anyone who they were voting for, they would say the only choice was Romney because Obama wasn't doing what God wanted. The issue of abortion was more important to them than the thousands who died each year from lack of health care. Our governor refused 53,000,000 from the government to expand medicaid because she "knew" that Obama wouldn't win and the Affordable Health Care Act would be repealed. When Obama came to visit, she went on vacation. After I receive my degree, I'm definitely going to move to a more liberal thinking state.
  • CollegiateGrief
    Options
    In Oklahoma where I live, if you asked anyone who they were voting for, they would say the only choice was Romney because Obama wasn't doing what God wanted. The issue of abortion was more important to them than the thousands who died each year from lack of health care. Our governor refused 53,000,000 from the government to expand medicaid because she "knew" that Obama wouldn't win and the Affordable Health Care Act would be repealed. When Obama came to visit, she went on vacation. After I receive my degree, I'm definitely going to move to a more liberal thinking state.

I live in OK too. I'd love to move somewhere more liberal, and more beautiful, and bigger, with better weather. Like maybe the Pacific Northwest somewhere. But for now, not enough money. I just huddle down with my liberal friends and mock all the uber right folks for now. Haha.

But yes, I feel your pain. OK is a stupid state.
  • chemalurgy
    chemalurgy Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I live in OK too. I'd love to move somewhere more liberal, and more beautiful, and bigger, with better weather. Like maybe the Pacific Northwest somewhere. But for now, not enough money. I just huddle down with my liberal friends and mock all the uber right folks for now. Haha.

But yes, I feel your pain. OK is a stupid state.

I've travelled to almost every state in the US, so you'd think it would be easier to decide, but it makes it harder. I totally understand the money issue. All that I can say is it will get better if you keep working at it.