Injections

Options
mandyabraio
mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
Did anyone else have to give themselves injections... I have to have one at 9 pm night before surgery and then when I get home I have to have one a day for 14 days...they are to prevent blood clots. Just curious where you put it, He said the abdomin I am guessing upper stomach...I wish they would explain things better to you....they tell you stuff then you don't think about it until you get home..I'll be calling him Monday lol

Replies

• rncsalvi
    rncsalvi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandy, no I don't have to give myself injections but I am a RN, its probably levenox....wipe an area on your belly, pinch up some skin between your fingers and give yourself the shot, the needle is very tiny and you probably won't even feel it....Let me know how it goes.
  • rlshopp6
    rlshopp6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandy. I had my sleeve almost 2 years ago (Dec-10) and I remember the injections. I am not medically savvy, instead am the type to pass out at the sight of my own blood, but once I got over my fear and actually did the injection the first time, it didn't hurt at all, and was easy to do. Hope your doctor can reassure you too. Good luck!!
  • JillyInAZ
    JillyInAZ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandy,
    They did give me injections while in the hospital, (I think it was Heperin?) in lower abdomin. I didn't have to have them after leaving the hospital.

Jill
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Not at home after surgery but while in the hospital I did have them to prevent blood clots. They usually do that with everyone and then have you wear the compression boots when you aren't walking around to prevent the blood clots too. I had to get off hormal birth control 3 months before sleeve surgery and at least a month after due to blood clot prevention. I think my program is over parnoid about blood clots but at least they try to take all the preventative actions is how I look at it.
    I didn't have much bruising from the actual surgery but the shots in the stomach did bruise me and one bruise didn't go away for 2 months or more after surgery!
  • donna_l_49
    donna_l_49 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello, I had the shots in the hospital and had to for 10 days after I got home. It was levenox to prevent blood clots. Luckily my daughter is a RN so she gave them to me. She switched sides everyday. In the love handle area is where I got them. I had lots of pretty bruises from them that took forever to go away. Not so much from the ones at home but the ones in the hospital. Best of luck to you on your recovery.