Injections

Options
mandyabraio
mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
Did anyone else have to give themselves injections... I have to have one at 9 pm night before surgery and then when I get home I have to have one a day for 14 days...they are to prevent blood clots. Just curious where you put it, He said the abdomin I am guessing upper stomach...I wish they would explain things better to you....they tell you stuff then you don't think about it until you get home..I'll be calling him Monday lol

Replies

• DonnaLRB
    DonnaLRB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    They gave me one injection of Lovenox before I left the hospital. After my husband had hip replacement, I had to give him injections for about two weeks. I'm not sure how I would feel about giving them to myself, but I was able to give them to him with no problems for either of us. It's a very tiny needle.:wink:
  • themommyiwannabe
    themommyiwannabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thy didn't give me any. They gave me 12 pills to take the day before sugery, but no injections thankfully!!!
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thy didn't give me any. They gave me 12 pills to take the day before sugery, but no injections thankfully!!!

I have to take one injection at 9 pm Sunday night then when I get home from the hospital I have to take one a day for the next 14 days.
  • SandyFromNJ
    SandyFromNJ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi ya Mandy,

I had three doses of Heparin while I was in the hospital. I did not have to go home on any anticoagulation. It is interesting how the doc's differ.

Hope you are well,
    SandyfromNJ
  • mum_of_one
    Options
    I didnt have to do it either Mandy.
    Had no meds to take pre op, then had the heparin inj (Clexane) the day of sugery and the 2 days after whilst I was still in hospital. Once leaving hosp no more injections. Once you are up and moving about (ie when you are able to go home) I would assume the risk of DVT to be alot lower?
    Yes interesting the different medical, surgical and eating protocols we see on here.
    No matter which one though, in the end they all seem to work and thats the most important thing :)
  • sarahjayne823
    sarahjayne823 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Lovenox. I did not have to have the injections either, but I give myself a SQ injection every week for my arthritis. Very easy to do. I've got a couple of "fat rolls" on my stomach. Just grab a handful of skin and inject. You're wanting to get it into the adipose (fat) tissue in your abdomin (luckily I've got lots). It'll be through before you know it. If you still have questions, you could probably find a youtube video that will help you.
  • Willthemedic
    Willthemedic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just what Sarah said about where to give and how. Some MD's are concerned about PE's or Pulmonary Embolisms. This will help with not having them.
  • sara7860
    Options
    I had to have them the same exact length of time. Yes the upper tummy. Just make sure not give them in the same spot each time and do like them like Sarah said. They can be a bit painful if you don't grab enough. Don't be surprised if your belly gets all bruised up from them as well.
  • loriben69
    Options
    I got injections in the hospital, but NO, never had to do any on my own.... thank GOD! The only thing I had to do was take Milk of Magnesia the day before, but that was all! Wow! Never heard of anyone doing injections... :)
  • pwbarton1
    pwbarton1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had a history of emboli and am on regular doses of cumodin. The regular thinner was stopped a week prior and I did 2 shots a day for the week prior and week after then back on the regular thinner. The nurse had me giving them in the lower abdomin. I think the most discomfort was in my mind as the needles were extremely small. It comes out of your system quickly so I stopped the night before - I was scheduled to be first in the early AM.