vitamins/supplements?

Options
britstrrr
britstrrr Posts: 33 Member
What do you take?

I am new to veganism (2 weeks, but was a vegetarian for 8 years beforehand). I am taking a womens multivitamin adn a b12. I try to eat healthy, but want to do this right and assume there are other vitamins I should be taking. Any suggestions or links to sites about this?

Replies

• SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin (Deva), Vegan Omega 3 supplements and i use Nitrofusion protein on my training days to get a bit of extra protein :)

Is there something you were specifically concerned about?
  • britstrrr
    Options
    Just want to make sure I am covering all my bases. I know calcium is something that I might start lacking.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I also take Deva multivitamins but not with any regularity (couple of times a week?) and I take CSI Ultra Skin Antioxidant Multi-Vitamin every other day or so. I've never had any significant deficiencies during my yearly blood tests except for vitamin D - but this doesn't seem like a vegan-specific occurrence. My omnivorous friends have this issue and we all just take Nature's Source of Life Vitamin D supplements.

Every body is different and what we eat is different so I suggest keeping tabs with recommended values through the detailed MFP tracker and to get a yearly blood test. I highly recommend the blood testing because your body might assimilate nutrients differently and it'll give you a decent over all picture of where your stats are.

P.S. Never had problems with calcium deficiencies so you wont necessarily run into problems with this.
  • heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I take a sublingual B12 supplement usually and sporadically I take a rainbow 1 prenatal vitamin from before even though I'm not pregnant now I figure its still good for me on occasion:)
  • britstrrr
    Options
    I've started incorporating hemp seeds and flax seeds into my diet. Hopefully this will make up for some deficiencies. I wasn't a big dairy consumer before anyways, but want to make sure I do this right.
  • GibblesandBits8064
    GibblesandBits8064 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    B12 is the biggest concern. I'm also new to veganism, but I did a ton of research beforehand and I've already read a bunch of books. As was already mentioned, Deva Vegan Multi vitamins are really good. I use flax seed oil to get my omega 3's so since you're eating flax seeds that's good. And if you're worried about calcium become accustomed to drinking soy or almond milk. Even coconut milk. I've also read a lot of dark leafy greens have calcium in them and tofu. So if you're not big on drinking the plant based milks you could always incorporate the greens into a salad or cook up some tofu:smile:. Hope this helps and congrats on going vegan:drinker::flowerforyou:!
  • britstrrr
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I will look into the Deva vitamins once my dailys get low. I will also consider the Omega 3 vegan supplements, as this is something I have heard is important to brain development later in life..
  • a_stone_girl_dances
    Options
    I take a multivitamin (Deva), Vegan Omega 3 supplements and i use Nitrofusion protein on my training days to get a bit of extra protein :)

Is there something you were specifically concerned about?

I take Deva too and really like their product.
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Your calcium will be fine. Kale is a great food with just about everything in it!! A lot of people worry about Calcium... but when your body is more alkaline, you won't flush out the calcium like you do when your body is more acidic (meat-eating).

If you eat enough variety you won't be depleted in vitamins & minerals. I think the first thing to think about is that becoming Vegan won't take away nutrients, proteins, etc... It's THE healthiest way to eat. Btw... being a junk-food vegan is REALLY easy... also don't overdo nuts (tons of calories).

Let me know if you have any questions! It's great that you are transitioning!! But just to give a little peace of mind supplement wise... you can do a multivitamin w/ iron and be covered. Deva makes a great one. In case you are curious about amino acids too, animals protein has all the essential amino acids... Vegans get them too with variety of foods. Also Quinoa is seed (often mistaken for a grain) that has ALL the essential amino acids as well. They do have amino acid supplements if you're interested. If you want suggestions just email me!! :)
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't take any supplements at all and meet my daily requirements for protein, calcium, iron, etc. I lack intrinsic factor so take B12 injections bi-weekly. Due to this, I get bloodwork regularly. All my levels have been perfect since I transitioned to a plant-based diet.
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Platinum has a vita vegan multi which is great, also, mega foods has come out with a new vegan life (looks great!). Just watch out for vitamin d3, its in so many supps. Also, Vega makes a wonderful nutritional shake, 50% of your daily need of vitamins and minerals, protein, fiber, greens, probiotics.. it has everything :)
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I know a few of you have stated that you don't take supplements, but are still hitting your daily needs for calcium & protein. Are you achieving this with fortified foods, or strictly with all natural foods? I ask because I don't buy soymilk or other fortified foods, and while doing the food diary I'm having a hell of a time hitting my numbers for calcium & protein, even when I really try.
  • britstrrr
    Options
    I know a few of you have stated that you don't take supplements, but are still hitting your daily needs for calcium & protein. Are you achieving this with fortified foods, or strictly with all natural foods? I ask because I don't buy soymilk or other fortified foods, and while doing the food diary I'm having a hell of a time hitting my numbers for calcium & protein, even when I really try.

definitely wasn't for iron, even with multivitamin, so I am now taking an iron supplement. Calcium I surprisingly was, I guess from all the dark greens I eat.
  • violet976
    Options

definitely wasn't for iron, even with multivitamin, so I am now taking an iron supplement. Calcium I surprisingly was, I guess from all the dark greens I eat.

Really? I have no trouble hitting iron. I make myself a morning smoothie with fruit, 2 cups of kale & a handful of wheatgrass. That takes care of a lot of it. The rest I get throughout the day. That's one I thought I'd be short on, but surprisingly, no.
  • britstrrr
    Options

Really? I have no trouble hitting iron. I make myself a morning smoothie with fruit, 2 cups of kale & a handful of wheatgrass. That takes care of a lot of it. The rest I get throughout the day. That's one I thought I'd be short on, but surprisingly, no.

Yup I eat lots of kale, dark greens, and beans, but although it was hitting the MFP levels, not so much in my blood work.
  • violet976
    Options

Ah... that's very good to know. One of these days I really need to get my blood work done, just to get a baseline of where I'm really at.

Yup I eat lots of kale, dark greens, and beans, but although it was hitting the MFP levels, not so much in my blood work.