new to training questions

Options
I just recently ran my first race (only a 10k) and I did pretty well, considering I hadn't really "trained" for it the way that I planned. At the end I had such a good time that I decided that I would like to continue to sign up for them to keep me motivated and more consistent. I've found that I'm not a huge fan of rigid training schedules, but that I can run maybe four days a week (including one long run) and cross train once or twice with bicycling and pilates.

It sounds like from everything that I've read that timing is very important and that you need to really prepare for each race. I am working toward a half marathon in December, but I thought as I build up mileage it might be fun to mix in some others while I train for the next milestone. How important is it to develop a formal plan for each of these? Do I need to figure out some kind of progression each time with smartcoach or something similar? You're supposed to taper (I thought) for each race, so I am thinking that would mess everything up if you incorporate others.

Any guidance at all is appreciated!

Replies

• bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i always follow a training plan- i can't do without it. i need to be able to see where i am and what i'm up to. i'm also a shift worker and so i need to keep track of where about i am in my plan, and don't have the brain space to do that mentally.

however, my friend does not really follow a structured training plan. she runs a few times a week whenever she feels like it, and makes sure that one run is a long one. i think she basically knows to increase the long run distance slowly and to taper 2-3 weeks before. everything else she does does as she fancies. however, she is a life long runner and that seems to be her style. it drives me crazy!! i have to book in my runs like appointments. i'm jealous!

i think if a training plan is not for you, that's fine. but you will need to work out a way to increase mileage on long runs, and to taper effectively. if you're training for a half but are intending to throw in a few 10-15k races in there too, then you count those as part of the training. the only run you'll need to taper for is the half.

maybe it would be good to look at a training plan (i have used hal higdons novice half marathon training) and see how they do the long runs and tapers on there, then fill in the rest how you want to.

that's how i'd do it anyway, but i'm no expert! i think that if you want to enjoy running, you've got to make it so it fits for you. good luck with it!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The first question you have to answer is, am I preparing for this race to perform to the best of my abilities, or do I want to run the race to have fun and enjoy it. Your answer will determine how much time, structure and energy you will have to put into your training.
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The first question you have to answer is, am I preparing for this race to perform to the best of my abilities, or do I want to run the race to have fun and enjoy it. Your answer will determine how much time, structure and energy you will have to put into your training.

Very well said CarsonRuns
  • justrunjon
    Options

Yep this ^
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    You have to determine from the "git go" what your objectives are for this race. I HAVE to have a training plan. I print it off and put it on the fridge. My motivation is to cross each day off on the schedule as I complete it. I love doing that! Determine what you want and then go for it!
  • annabanana2587
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I guess I just need to focus on the longer one for now. I imagine over time, as I get in better shape that if I want to do shorter ones in preparation I won't necessarily need to prepare for these.