2 year old, no sleep, can't seem to make time for myself!

Options
Hello,
Anyone else struggling with craving out "me time"? I just can't seem to commit to any routine or habit that would benefit me and me only. I can do anything and everything my family needs but when it comes to myself ... well I'm good for a few days or maybe even a couple of weeks and then BOOM right back to feeling to tired again. I lost the "baby weight" put back on the "baby weight" and now I really just want to get out of my in between clothes. I want to care about my appearance, self and image but am just so TIRED all the time.

My daughter is 2 years old, I'm in my late 30's (I'm currently 38) only 4'11 in height. My daughter still wakes during the night which I know doesn't help but what can I do? I'm contemplating weight watchers to maybe have the group support? But it costs a lot of money, seems silly to spend that much money when I have access to MFP. So how do I get motivated? I'm a very smart person I know all the reasons why I should get into shape, eat properly etc ... however when you are so tired all the time what do you do?

HELP ...

Replies

• LadyClareSeashell
    Options
    Hi! I just wanted to offer some camaraderie. My daughter is almost two and although she sleeps from 9-6:30, I don't have a ton of time to myself... And I have a lot of trouble with treating myself well without food. Like, a treat for me is usually something sugary while I'm doing errands, cleaning or just sitting still wondering what to do next... I don't have much advice (other than the obvious, put it in your datebook, announce your plans etc.) but I feel your pain!
  • angieb74
    Options
    Just seeing what you wrote makes me feel better lol. I love sugar and unfortunately my husband loves it enough for the entire world. He's a snacker even after eating a whole meal ... right into the cupboard to find something to snack on! AHHHH ... how do you not join in ?
    I'm on another one of those days where ... today is the day of the rest of my new life lmao! At least I'm going to try, the hubby said he's going to help. He wants to loose weight also (his maybe 10 pounds compared to my 40). I just don't feel motivated, I mean I do one minute then I don't. Is that something you go experience also? My daughter is 27 months now and I'd love to know where she gets the energy. Like yourself I want to be everything to my family ... well and fit into my clothes again.

Cheers,
    Angie
  • bed2883
    bed2883 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am really struggling as well. I have two little boys (4 years and 18 months) and I woke outside the home. My job is pretty demanding and I work 45-50 hours a week. I don't have me time and I struggle to carve out time for myself.

It's so easy to stay fat. My husband never makes a comment. He loves me just the way that I am. On paper I'm perfectly healthy.

I'm one of those people who eats her feelings. I eat to reward myself. And if I have a bad meal that turns into a bad day which turns into a bad week. I'm always re-starting.

Like you I know why I need to make the changes, but I don't keep up with the committment.
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I hear you 100% I have a 13 month old and a 3 year old That take turns. Keep up the good fight. I guess a Mom's job is never done. I have 5 kids and 4 at home still.
  • angieb74
    Options
    Its sad to say but I feel a bit better knowing I really am not alone. I love eating period. I love a glass of wine also ... let's face it sometimes it can be a saving grace in a tough day lol. I've done really well for the past 3 days. I've worked out each day and stayed with in my very low calorie allowance. I'm determined to fit into my clothes again. I refuse to spend money on in between clothes. So I'm hoping vanity might actually be a good thing for once. Cross your fingers and toes for me that I can keep this up in the name of vanity :tongue:
  • angieb74
    Options
    I can't imagine having to work and take care of my daughter. Thankfully I'm lucky enough that we can afford to have me stay at home. So I probably shouldn't complain so much. A serious big round of applause to you for doing what you do. I've done really well for the past 3 days eating properly and exercising but it's still not easy finding the time when everyone wants something. My daughter is cutting the last of molars I can't remember the last time I've actually had 8 hours of sleep. Or even 4 consecutive hours. But I'm determine by this time next month I'll have lost 10 of my 40! Cross your fingers and toes for me I need all the help I can get.
  • angieb74
    Options
    Day 5 ... I'm so sore from working out. Today I may have to find another form of exercise just to burn some calories. Like walking, I think I'll try pushing my daughter around in the stroller today for at least an hour. Doesn't burn as much calories as a cardio workout but at least I'll still be working out. Only problem is I'm scared that if I miss 1 cardio work out I'm going to find a reason to stop all together. I've been so good this week. Of course to complicate things my daughter is not only teething now but has a nasty cold. Talk about not making it easy. How is everyone else doing?
  • angieb74
    Options
    So I did it. I just took the time for myself and I've lost 2 pounds. I've taken an hour a day to myself to do cardio, and I have even got in a few bubble baths (much needed after cardio). You were absolutely right we have to just take the time. And I think doing so helped me switch my thinking a bit, if my family is worth it I have to be worth it also ... so thanks for you advice.
  • angieb74
    Options
    Well I got sick and fell off the wagon ... I ate everything in sight over the week-end. I was doing so good but I also think I went a bit overboard. I was out of the gate like my pants were on fire. I mean I killed myself with cardio and every other single thing I could think of that would make me burn calories. Okay so I didn't do that great staying at 1200 calories a day but who can? I'm a mom a very busy mom ... do you know what that means. I'm starving constantly because I'm always doing something. No I don't sit down and watch TV. I take my daughter to classes, parks, play dates, etc. It never ends and neither does the cleaning, laundry, errands etc. And if you are anything like me (OCD for real) when it comes to cleaning you never sit down. My husband actually gets upset with me because I never sit still. But yet here I am trying to loose this HORRIBLE 40 + pounds. ARGH ... who can survive on 1200 calories? Really seriously please respond and give me ideas or advice because I don't think I can do this when I think of only having 1200 calories a day. Some say eat your exercise calories and others say don't eat your exercise calories? WHAT?

All I know is 1200 calories is too little for someone like myself. I love healthy eating, I love salads, veggies, chicken and especially fish so I have no problem with that it's just the little amount of calories required to loose weight? There has to be an easier way...

HELP
  • bed2883
    bed2883 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi -

I tried 1200 calories when I started and the pounds wouldn't come off. My success came when I was eating between 1200-1600, which included eating back my exercise calories or at least some of them. I then fell off the wagon after a friend passed away and just now starting to get back on track. I don't think I have had enough success to point in you in any direction, but you're welcome to add me as a friend and we can do this together. :-)
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm 38, i work about 50 hours a week with commuting. Finally i quit the gym and just bought a spin bike and a pilates DVD. I lost 30 lbs, and then gained it back after getting sick. But i'm back on the wagon for 3 weeks and have made an effort for 3 weeks. One thing that helps me is to book a massage 7 days in advance. Then... i have to work out 5 of the 7 days in order to get the massage. Every night when i feel like not getting on the bike i think.....(do you want to call and cancel tomorrow?) and I get on the bike. I can't do it every week, but i let myself do it every week for the first month, then every 2 weeks, and by the second month I see enough results that i am encouraged enough to stick to my plan. It's the jump starting that is the hardest. I also don't seem to lose weight "the accepted, natural" way, so i do this in combination with a diet plan.
  • angieb74
    Options
    I know the older we get the harder to take off the pounds but holy crap this is really difficult after becoming a mom so late in my 30's. But thanks for the advice, I think right now I'm concentrating on getting the eating properly down and then I'll add the working out in. I think I may be ripping myself off in the calories because I'm always on my feet I'm a mom I never sit down (seriously) so I only count the workouts and cleaning usually but I do so much more ... which is why I'm always so hungry not accounting for the all the other calorie burning activities and then trying to stay at 1200 calories. So on the advice of another member I up'd the caloric intake to no more then 1500 and this actually seems to be working for me I lost 3 pounds last week ... here's hoping another 3 for this week :drinker:
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I know the older we get the harder to take off the pounds but holy crap this is really difficult after becoming a mom so late in my 30's. But thanks for the advice, I think right now I'm concentrating on getting the eating properly down and then I'll add the working out in. I think I may be ripping myself off in the calories because I'm always on my feet I'm a mom I never sit down (seriously) so I only count the workouts and cleaning usually but I do so much more ... which is why I'm always so hungry not accounting for the all the other calorie burning activities and then trying to stay at 1200 calories. So on the advice of another member I up'd the caloric intake to no more then 1500 and this actually seems to be working for me I lost 3 pounds last week ... here's hoping another 3 for this week :drinker:
    Angieb...try the fitbit, you can track how much you are walking and just increase it a little each day...walk up some extra steps (it counts floors climbed)
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi. Similar boat - it's been months since the kids let me sleep a night through. Thing is I'm getting a buzz out of KNOWING I'm doing this for myself. My commute is one I can do by bike so I've a bit of activity built in every day but mostly I try to eat less crap! Sitting here knowing today I ate less than I used is a v good feeling. Hope. This time it works for you.
  • angieb74
    Options
    Thanks, I'm trying everything or maybe I feel like I am and I'm really not ... I don't know anymore. I just know things didn't seem so difficult before coming a mom. LOL I love my daughter with my whole being, but I just want a little of the old me back well just my size. Add to that I'm fairly short which always makes me look heavier then I really am. Or again that's at least how I feel. Maybe I'm just having a moment lol.