Did you hear?! Marriage Equality victories at the polls!

Options
No matter your political leanings, there was some great news from the election. Maryland, Maine, and Washington state have become the 7th, 8th, and 9th states to vote marriage equality into law, and Minnesota defeated a motion to define marriage as 'between one man and one woman'. Also, Tammy Baldwin was elected as the first openly LGBT senator.

What a night!

You can read tons more at The Human Rights Campaign's website, www.hrc.org.

Replies

• lazieats
    lazieats Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It is pretty dang great! Even better that this was a vote by the people. NOM and their ilk can't complain about "activist" judges and politicians "ignoring" the people's wishes. The people were pretty clear in their wishes!
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was so pleased with Maryland Tuesday night. I went to bed a happy girl.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I voted for it in WA. It was pretty close, but it passed.
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    So Awesome! Can't wait for California to realize what a mistake Prop 8 was and make it right.
  • emjohn69
    emjohn69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great night for LGBT rights! Let's keep up the momentum :-)
  • Katt1320
    Katt1320 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    YAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!

:):):) The country is changing, our representation is changing with it. I'm so proud of our country today.
  • dorkboi
    dorkboi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    So excited for this and the direction our country is taking!! I live in Nebraska and am legally married in Iowa. Unfortunately that doesn't do us a whole lot of good here but these new votes are giving me hope!!
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There were so many great victories that night. Definitely an exciting election! <3
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    The map of equality is growing!

marriagedp-2.jpg
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    This made me very happy. Now if we can just get North Carolina to repeal that ridiculous amendment one. Even as a straight man it infuriated me. Not just denying rights to our LGBT friends but also single mom and dads and unmarried straight couples I mean seriously, lets just screw everyone. I hope they can get it repealed, or if the Supreme Court decides that the DOMA is unconstitutional and wipes out all of those like Amendment 1 and Prop 8.
  • psiphiorg
    psiphiorg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here's the chart by population over time (through early 2013):

9Dh1Ol.png
    http://imgur.com/9Dh1O

The axes are percentage of the population of the US living in states with each of the various conditions at each point in time. The conditions are constitutional ban on marriage and all similar relationships (dark gray), constitutional ban on marriage only (light gray), only state law banning marriage (white), reciprocal beneficiaries (green), civil unions (yellow), domestic partnerships (red), and marriage (blue). If a state falls into more than one category (e.g. Hawaii has reciprocal beneficiaries and civil unions, Oregon has a constitutional ban on marriage but allows domestic partnerships, and New Jersey has both domestic partnerships and civil unions), the most permissive category is used for that state's population.

Population data comes from the Census Bureau's estimates.

The two short blips in the dark grey section in 2004 and 2005 represent times during which Louisiana and Nebraska's state constitutional bans on marriage and similar relationships were blocked by courts. The large blip in the blue represents, of course, California's summer of marriage equality followed by Prop 8.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Great graph, psiphiorg! It will be interesting to see the retreat of that ominous gray cloud.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Among straight voters, Obama and Romney were tied 49% to 49%. Among gay voters, Obama won 76% to 22%. Without gay voters, Obama and Romney would have tied.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/16/us/politics/gay-vote-seen-as-crucial-in-obamas-victory.html?_r=0
  • treetop57
    Options
    Viva Mexico!
    The Supreme Court of Mexico issued a unanimous ruling Wednesday afternoon that paves the way to universal marriage rights in the country. ... The court ruled on behalf of three same-sex couple seeking to marry in the southern state of Oaxaca. The court had already ruled in 2010 that gay marriages performed under a Mexico City ordinance had to be recognized nationwide. With this precedent, the remaining bans on gay marriage in most Mexican states could quickly fall. ...

http://aftermarriageblog.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/mexican-supreme-court-strikes-down-gay-marriage-ban/
  • treetop57
    Options
    marriagedp-2-1-1.jpg

We're surrounded!
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bizzarely we're still waiting for full equality here in the UK, although for quite some time now all three of our major political parties are in agreement on this issue and are pro-marriage equality there is stil no action. Typical of our useless government, all mouth and no trousers.
  • pocketmel
    Options
    I am not American but I am thrilled to hear the news ! Way to go. It is a great step for the LGBTQ community around the world! :D
  • treetop57
    Options
    And in the United Kingdom, the Conservative Prime Minister is proposing marriage equality:
    25 Jan 2013 02:38 PM
    Marriage Equality Update

The British government has just published their bill for full equality (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/10629232) , exempting the established Church of England from being required to conduct the ceremonies. Other faith traditions can do as they wish - from a full embrace (the Quakers) to the coldest of shoulders (the Catholic hierarchy). Parliament could vote as early as February 5. Even though the Tory right may not vote with their prime minister, support is so solid among Labour and Liberal Democrat MPs as well as many Tories that passage is looking likely. I think America's closest Anglophone ally permitting marriage for all - led by a Conservative prime minister - will have an impact here.

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2013/01/marri-1.html

I think the anti-equality forces in the US don't really care what happens among ferriners, even ones who speak English like Jesus did. But this is great news for our British cousins!
  • treetop57
    Options
    UK lawmakers approve same-sex marriage in first vote

London (CNN) -- UK lawmakers approved Tuesday the second reading of a bill legalizing same-sex marriage, an issue that has prompted widespread rebellion within Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservative Party.

The 400-175 vote indicated a significant majority of members support the measure. However, the legislation has to clear more parliamentary hurdles to become law.

It faces another vote in the House of Commons and a vote in the House of Lords. . . .

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/05/world/europe/uk-gay-marriage-vote/index.html

Woohoo!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    UK lawmakers approve same-sex marriage in first vote

London (CNN) -- UK lawmakers approved Tuesday the second reading of a bill legalizing same-sex marriage, an issue that has prompted widespread rebellion within Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservative Party.

The 400-175 vote indicated a significant majority of members support the measure. However, the legislation has to clear more parliamentary hurdles to become law.

It faces another vote in the House of Commons and a vote in the House of Lords. . . .

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/05/world/europe/uk-gay-marriage-vote/index.html

Woohoo!

I find England's approach to the relationship between church and state fascinating in contrast to our own. I also get a tiny kick out of the idea that the Church would, in fact, be forced by law to marry same-sex couples. At least I assume so.