Returning to running after injuries

Options
BigJayUK
BigJayUK Posts: 63 Member
Hi
I used to be a keen runner but a few injuries put me out for over a year. Now I am recovered and back into running.
I completed the c25k programme two months ago to build up my strength.
I am now running distances of 6 to 8 miles. Few weeks a ago I was running 10 minute miles, I am now down to 9 minute miles.
My overall plan is to compete in half marathons next year and work up to marathons in 2014.

I use Endomondo was my running app on my iphone and would like to have friends to add onto that application for support and advice.

Replies

• jeannel114
    jeannel114 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Congratulations on your recovery. Sounds like you took it slow, and smart. Am just starting my recovery. I ran two fulls and two halfs last year. Four races - combined with a prolonged fight with poison ivy ended the year for me on a low note. Tried to keep at it during first half of this year. After running my first (and only) half in May, decided I needed a break both mentally and physically. Am back at it now - and spending equal time on weight lifting - and hope that my recovery goes as well as yours.
  • pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi Jay,

I don't use that app but I could download it and I'll gladly offer support. I've been running 3 years and completed my first Marathon a few weeks ago.

Just don't pick the speed up to quickly ....... you're making me look bad. 9 min miles is as fast as I can go over any real distance. I did a 10K race in 52 minutes last year but I think I must have thought I was someone else that day.

I'm an Irish 40 year old bloke so we're running in the same kinda of weather these days.

Pabs
  • BigJayUK
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and support.

Completed another run this morning was around 5.5miles in 58 minutes.
    I did have the energy to go further however, I felt some discomfort in my shins. I know it is shin splints.
    I have had my gait anylsis done and have got a decent pair of trainers.

Jeanne - Sorry to hear about the poison ivy issue but you are back to running which is good. Keep up the good work.

Pabs - Good time for the 10k - Not been able to run that far yet. My 5k time is around 29 minutes. I live in a valley though so have a long steep climb which direction I run in. However, the hill is good for me when I do my interval training.

My plan is to enter the Great North Run next year which is a famous half marathon in England.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the shin splints. I have had mine for 6 weeks now & despite being told not to even walk heaps, I'm still running 10km a day on it. I know it hurts, I know I have to rest it... but my body & mind wont let me do that... so I'm still going & just telling the physiotherapist that I'm riding my bike instead. He has no idea & I know that my shin splint (it's only my left leg) is going to turn into a stress fracture & totally put me out.

Ice it.
    Massage the calf muscle
    Stretch the calf muscle as much as you can..... kinda like this

http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,8052,s6-6-0-2,00.html?bcpid=772559539001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAABjSC4E~,YBF36HfcFnZeqZMwmU2oQb7me4-NwQYO&bclid=1352464879&bctid=1299131504

I do that one about 6 times a day & it gets me through another day. It's bad when you wake up unable to walk cause you are in that much pain.
  • BigJayUK
    Options
    Hi, Pinkraynedrop

Thanks for the advice,
    I am exactly the same as you, I will push and push myself until I go too far.
    Strangely, the splints are only in my left leg too.

Thats really bad of you not telling your physio about the running tut tut tut LOL!!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Hi, Pinkraynedrop

Thanks for the advice,
    I am exactly the same as you, I will push and push myself until I go too far.
    Strangely, the splints are only in my left leg too.

Thats really bad of you not telling your physio about the running tut tut tut LOL!!!

I'm not even supposed to be able to walk as far as I do. I have a back injury that's got it so I'm in pain 24/7.... walking will kill me for days......running wont for some reason. So Dr & physio think I only walk...they think I've lost all my weight from walking...... hahahahaaa..... they have no idea what I been doing. Running I love, so I don't tell them I am running cause then I'll get into trouble. Physio won't know I been running every day this week when I see him on Thursday..... my splints are just as sore today, but strangely they were not even a little sore till I did the stretches he told me to do..... running today was sore :(