PCOS Diet... where to start?

Options
I was just diagnosed with PCOS last Monday. I have been reading a lot online and am so happy there is a group on here for those of us with the condition. What I would like to know is where do you start with the diet? Just start making moderate changes right away or jump in cold turkey and cut the carbs right away. I am currently reading the PCOS Diet Plan and a few others just to get my mind wrapped around this condition that I now know I have and I want to start taking better care of myself so that we can have children in the near future. Any thoughts or even encourage words are welcome!!

I have changed my goals to help with the carb intake on here and am going to strive to cook 5 days a week at home and stick to just water types of drinks, no more sodas, etc.

I am not really sure where to go beyond that though.

Replies

• fittyfittybumbum
    Options
    Going Gluten Free and eating foods with a Low Glycemic Index with exercise (at least 30 min) has worked wonders for me.
  • kimimila86
    Options
    It really depends on how you'd like to handle your diet... like what you can and cannot live without. I have found the most success on a paleo type diet that consists of mainly meats and veggies with fruits as a dessert.

You should also check out PCOS Diva... lots of wonderful ideas for foods. She even has a 7-day jump start program! Good luck and welcome to the community :flowerforyou:
  • crystalirene12
    crystalirene12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll. I figured I would try to eat more veggies and watch my sugar intake and add more fruit and protein as well. Baby steps!
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would say to just make sure you are getting GOOD carbs. If you cut down on carbs, but still get quick carbs from high GI foods, then that won't do as much good as eating high quality carbs from low GI foods. I haven't changed my daily carb intake at all, just the kind of carbs I eat, and there hasn't been any problem!
  • crystalirene12
    crystalirene12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat just whole grain carbs and nuts, and fruit, veggies etc. No more white breads, white rice, chips etc. So far so good. I am hoping by my follow apt I can be down a few pounds to show my Dr. I mean business. I really want a baby and if it took being diagnosed with this to get healthy well then so be it.
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree, PCOS Diva is great! Her meal plans are delicious and really healthy. I also agree with the above poster re: gluten free. Also, dairy free helps me as well with the acne.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I watch my carbs, but if I stay under my 1200 calories, USUALLY my carbs stay right where they need to be.
    Basically, pretend you are diabetic... it sucks, but that's the road PCOS people are heading down, if not already on it.
  • rebitanormaleata
    Options
    I know what works for me and that's a combination of lowered calories and carbs. There's research to show that if you watch carbs even if you eat more calories you'll lose weight. The problem I experiences (which not everyone does) is that for most people low carbs also blunts their appetite so that they also eat less. I was low carbing but eating like a man! So, now I watch carbs and calories. Well, actually I am getting back to that. I am watching calories and slowly titrating down the carbs. Here's the research. http://www.examiner.com/article/is-a-low-fat-or-low-carb-diet-the-best-choice-for-treating-pcos

I like Mark's Daily Apple because it's like paleo which makes sense but not as strict. So you can have a bit of dairy and some beans, etc and even some grains but just a small amount. I think he says to use the 80/20 rule. 80 percent of the time, avoid it but 20% indulge. I've learned that that way keeps me a bit more sane. Friend me if you want another buddy and to see what I am eating -- althouh, like I said -- I'm just re-starting and it aint always been pretty.
  • normatus
    normatus Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Check out the Women's Health Perfect Body Diet. It's not what it seems, lol. It uses a supplement called glucomannan. I have been using it for a month now and it helps tremendously with the weight loss and appetite control. google it. its natural. its a fiber and its only about 12 bucks a bottle.
  • kellison89
    kellison89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you want to try a low GI diet (or try a few substitutions to start) here is a link for a printable list with a few explanations:

http://www.lifetimefatloss.com/support-files/printablelglist4.2.11.pdf