Back to running after a long lay off

Options
BigJayUK
BigJayUK Posts: 63 Member
Hi
I used to be a keen runner but a few injuries put me out for over a year. Now I am recovered and back into running.
I completed the c25k programme two months ago to build up my strength.
I am now running distances of 6 to 8 miles. Few weeks a ago I was running 10 minute miles, I am now down to 9 minute miles.
My overall plan is to compete in half marathons next year and work up to marathons in 2014.

I use Endomondo was my running app on my iphone and would like to have friends to add onto that application for support and advice.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to the wonderful world of running. Good luck with your training (I'm aiming for my first marathon May 2013)

I'm not using any running apps (methinks at times my phone is smarter than I am or maybe I'm just a bit of a Luddite) but my goal is simple.....finish every day injury free.
  • BigJayUK
    Options
    Thank you Brian

I love to run. Not only that it gets me fitter and I lose the weight. It also gets my mind clear too. I find it helps me think and resolve issues that I have.

Was out running first thing this morning, ran about 5.5miles, could have done more but did not want to push it as I felt a little discomfort in my shins. Probably the good old shin splints.

Good luck with the marathon, my plan is to do a half marathon, we have one called The Great North Run which attracts the world class runners.
  • joyosplash
    Options
    Welcome back to running! I am getting ready to start again after a hip flexor injury caused me to miss a half marathon last month. Was my own fault for increasing my distance too quickly. Hoping to find some good motivation in this group to start slow and steady and stay injury free this time!
  • BigJayUK
    Options
    Hi Joyosplash,

I know that will be my major downfall pushing myself too far>
    Lessons learned from over the past year, so will be taking it easy
    My main issue at the moment is allowing myself rest days.

Jason
  • justrunjon
    Options
    Get yourself booked into a few 10k races, do a race specific plan and also head to your local parkrun as you will find many helpful people!

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to running myself and am always looking for friends to share support and info with.

I use mapmyrun to track my workouts.
  • jaimesoo
    jaimesoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am getting back to running after about 10mo off having a baby. I have downloaded edmondo but i really love using my mapmyrun app so i get really oerwhelmed with the others... but maybe if i had friends on there it would be more fun. :)