Freezeable, Make ahead Meals.....Suggestions??

Options
Hi, Folks. Part of my healthy lifestyle challenge is to plan meals ahead of time. I can PLAN them alright, but at the end of a long day, when I walk in the door and am exhausted, all too often throughout the week the hubby will just grab his keys and off we go out to find a meal--- as opposed to waiting for me to grab everything, prep it, cook it, and then clean up afterwards. And if I have to work any overtime, that all but seals our fate that we're eating out again. Hard on the budget, and HORRIBLE for the scale and health!

What I'd like to do is plan and prepare meals over the weekend, freeze them, so that all I have to do when I get home is plop them in the oven, pair it with a salad, or another quick side dish or two then VOILA.

Along those lines.....I'm looking for healthy "Freezeable Meal" ideas. Do you have any favorites? Please PLEASE share!!!

Thanks all!!!

Replies

• laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Pre cook a bunch of chicken breasts, shred and freeze-very versitle-can use in almost any recipe-bbq chicken, chicken tacos-salad, also I like to make a big pot of marinara-I divide it and freeze for use during week-chicken parm, spag, veggie lasagna, same with beef or pork-precook it and shred it another versitle item- easy to prepare meals-premake turkey burger patties-then come home throw on the grill or George Foreman.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Nice tomato based pasta sauces or bolognaise; they freeze well and all you have to do is cook some fresh pasta and make a salad.

I also have a slow cooker (crockpot), we often put a casserole type meal in there and leave it on low all day.
  • Rosezilla
    Options
    *Lasagne, meatless or otherwise, freezes very well; really, any pasta-based dish freezes well. And you can use the lasagne noodles that you don't have to pre-cook, to make it even faster when you are making it.
    *The little Green Giant packages of veggies that you nuke for 5 minutes are really good to go with it.
    *Chili and other things in the crockpot are great to come home to, and depending on the size of your crockpot, there are usually lovely left-overs.
    *You can bake potatoes in advance and then just heat them up when you're ready to eat. They are good for a few days to a week in the fridge.
    *If you have spaghetti sauce made in advance, it freezes well too, and then the spaghetti is quick to fix on the spot.
    *Any thing with eggs is quick to fix when you get home.
    *Cooked rice freezes well and then can be added to your dish.
    Good luck, I hope these help.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I braise a large pork butt, shred it, then bag & freeze it in single portions. I can just pull it out and heat it up whenever I want -- throw it over greens w/black beans or brown rice & mushrooms... endless possibilities.

Also keep a bag of frozen tilapia filets in the freezer -- easy defrost & quick cooking.

Turkey burger patties.

Frozen shrimp.
  • right2b
    right2b Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My motto when it comes time to cook meals during a work week is: "If it doesn't come out of the freezer, can, box or bag...it is not dinner"! You just don't have the time or energy to prep,cook, serve and clean after working FT+commute. So, I started organizing my fridge with ideas for meals. Salads were made and put in plastic bags ready to serve (lunches,too), fruits & veggies put in small snack bags. Make or buy a ready made roasted chicken, cut up/shred meat and divide up in 3-4 quart size freezer bags for quick meals for the week. I make chicken enchiladas, soup, salads, stir-fry and quesdillas. Basically, any meat can be prepped for meals ahead of time and frozen ready to make in any dish. I found that instead of cooking all day or weekend making complete meals to freeze for the week (not to mention the clean up time), by organizing my fridge and getting the groceries organized/prepped ahead of time was so much easier. Then all I had to do during the week was grab a baggie from the fridge/freezer (no prep), cook it and serve! Fresh, healthy home-style meals! Saved money, too!

I know you wanted freezer meals, too! You can balance both. I understand...after awhile what I found was that "make ahead and serve meals" take organizing and cooking too and I got to a point that my weekend is my time for having fun, shopping, family and not just cooking...again!!!

Here is a couple links I Googled up that you might like...check out the link: myfridgefood.com this site will take what is in your fridge and give you recipe ideas...and it breaks down the calorie counts, too! And: http://pinterest.com/veronicakb/meals-planning-freezer

http://pinterest.com/veronicakb/meals-planning-freezer/

Best dishes!:flowerforyou:
  • Gohomebay
    Gohomebay Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Love all the ideas so far. Peaked into my freezer just now. Loaded with tomato sauce I made over the summer to use for pasta, pizza, chicken parm, etc. Have a few bags of homemade soup as well. That is so great for an easy healthy side dish. I try and freeze whatever I can in ziplock bags then just thaw in some water so fast and easy. Also have a variety of homemade turkey burgers, spinach burgers etc also easy to just pop in the over or in a pan.
    We generally have a few turkeys in the fall, small ones. I will make one with baked root veggies will last a few days. The left over turkey i make a few pot pies and freeze so yummy and easy. Google healthy chicken pot pie lots of options. I will post my recipe later this year.
    Will post more if i think of something.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    The crockpot has become our best friend
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have really been enjoying the skinnytaste.com website. There are a ton of soups,stews and chili on that site that you could freeze. as well as other recipes that can be frozen. I have made a couple things and doubled the recipe so I could freeze. I bought a ton of plastic containers and froze in serving sizes so I can defrost exactly what I need.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I braise a large pork butt, shred it, then bag & freeze it in single portions. I can just pull it out and heat it up whenever I want -- throw it over greens w/black beans or brown rice & mushrooms... endless possibilities.

Also keep a bag of frozen tilapia filets in the freezer -- easy defrost & quick cooking.

Turkey burger patties.

Frozen shrimp.

I do the same thing with marinated chicken breast, brown rice and veggies. I love the grab and go without the high cost of individually pre-packaged foods. I love my food saver!!
  • 3springchicks
    3springchicks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Excellent Ideas and tips. I'm organizing my kitchen (fridge, pantry, etc), and will put some of these ideas and suggestions to the test this weekend! Thank you verymuch, folks, for taking the time to post them, :smile:
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Turkey chili with lots of beans
    lasagna make two, freeze one

saw this idea on a cooking show, instead of layering the lasagna noodles, which is time consuming. Spread the mixture on the whole noodle and roll up the noodle length wise and place rolled up noodle in your lasagna pan. This make a serving size and helps with portion control.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    My situation is probably different. Kids are grown, husband works out of town during the week, so I just have myself to feed. I make a couple full-recipe meals on the weekend, divide them into serving portions and put them in containers I can reheat in a microwave. I can either take one to work for lunch, then eat a salad for dinner, or salad for lunch and entree for dinner. I can also freeze them so I don't eat the same thing all week long. I am trying to be vegan, so I don't eat chicken breasts or other meats. But with the grains I use, they keep just as well as meats do in the freezer/fridge.
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This is an easy to make freezable dish I like....

Stewed Pork and Butternut Squash

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    1 medium garlic clove, minced
    1 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
    1 (15-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
    4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    Preparation
    1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add pork; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt, and red pepper; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until pork is almost tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in butternut squash; simmer 30 minutes or until pork and squash are tender.
    Cooking Light
    NOVEMBER 2009