Hello

Options
mandy0688
mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
Hey everyone, why don't we start off by introducing ourselves and doing a backround. I will start...

I am 24 yrs old and been smoking since i was 16. I started by stealing my older sisters cigs. From there it started by a few and hiding behind our shed and smoking then when i got my own car, i would give the money to my older friends for them to buy me cigs. Pretty soon I was addicted. It went from ten cigs a day to a pack to a pack and a half. I would smoke multiple cigs in one sitting. I did this for years being in a VERY stressful relationship everyone I knew smoked to the life I have now where i can be away from smoking.

Tell me your story how you got started on your addiction.

Replies

• knw32183
    Options
    I'm 29 years old and I have been a steady smoker since I was probably 14 or so. Even before that we used to snag packs of generic brand cigarettes, back in the day when they actually had them out where people could just grab them. Ironically, that was at the end of the candy aisle at the drug store :huh: I have cut down slightly in the last few weeks and only buy a pack every other day for the most part. I honestly don't know if I am 100% ready to quit yet, but I feel like I'm getting closer to being there. My husband quit recently but started up again after a couple of months. Hopefully when he's ready to try again, I'll be truly ready to try with him. Only time will tell, I guess :ohwell:
  • ledard
    ledard Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am 28 and I dip... Started in high school playing baseball kept going into college and now I hardly ever dont have one in. So I guess I'll go for this ride with you guys. I wish you luck and Ill prob. post alot
  • mandy0688
    Options
    knw32183 you HAVE to want this and be determined. My fiance is not a smoker so its just me and he supports me 100%. Not trying to scare you both but look up on google cancers associated with tobacco use. You will be shocked and its really bad. Makes you want it even more for your spouses and kids if you have some. You have to find a time you want to do so and if your spouse smokes too, do it together. Patches have been effective today on my first day and it will get harder. And for you knw32183 I will make sure i try to log in daily so you can read my journey. I want to be the one that does this and inspires others to do so. My manager put the idea in her head when her and her husband quit. Good luck to you and I will be here.
  • wjs0808
    Options
    hi i am wendy i had been smoking for 25 years apart from once i managed to give up for 2 years then stupidly had one cigarette and started straight back on them . But in August this year i decided to give up again and have now not had a cigarette for 91 days :smile: i have also saved £160 so far ..the only downside is that i have gained most of my weight back that i had lost since i joined mfp :frown: but hopefully it wont take me too long to lose it again
  • mandy0688
    Options
    hi i am wendy i had been smoking for 25 years apart from once i managed to give up for 2 years then stupidly had one cigarette and started straight back on them . But in August this year i decided to give up again and have now not had a cigarette for 91 days :smile: i have also saved £160 so far ..the only downside is that i have gained most of my weight back that i had lost since i joined mfp :frown: but hopefully it wont take me too long to lose it again

great job wendy! your an inspriation. This starts another chapter in my life and this site is great for quitting the habit as well. Thanks for the wonderful story and I am glad your 3rd post is on this topic here. Congrats and good luck with the weight loss. its worth those extra pounds when you have a healthier lifestyle
  • kathheen
    kathheen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Kath and i have been smoking for 24 years :noway: I smoked on average around 15 ciggys a day. I have just recently turned 40 and have been trying to stop unsucessfully over the last year and half - the longest i stopped was 4 months, my weakness is when :drinker: comes in and the wit goes out :blushing: I know i should stop drinking but i like it :laugh:

Im on the lowest patches only cause i had loads left from the last attempt so im topping up with lozenges and exercise!

These are my stats

I have stopped smoking for 1 day, 4 hours, 47 minutes and 17 seconds (1 days).

I've not smoked 19 death sticks, and saved £7.01.
    I've saved 1 hour and 35 minutes of my life.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL xx
  • mandy0688
    Options
    Hi Im Kath and i have been smoking for 24 years :noway: I smoked on average around 15 ciggys a day. I have just recently turned 40 and have been trying to stop unsucessfully over the last year and half - the longest i stopped was 4 months, my weakness is when :drinker: comes in and the wit goes out :blushing: I know i should stop drinking but i like it :laugh:

Im on the lowest patches only cause i had loads left from the last attempt so im topping up with lozenges and exercise!

These are my stats

I have stopped smoking for 1 day, 4 hours, 47 minutes and 17 seconds (1 days).

I've not smoked 19 death sticks, and saved £7.01.
    I've saved 1 hour and 35 minutes of my life.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL xx

I have quit for my third day and this morning I wanted to kill someone for a ciggy. Its very hard on me cause I know i want it but I hear it will be worse to quit before it gets easier. I am glad i gave my fiance my money cause I want a ciggy now.
  • wjs0808
    Options
    hi kath ... i too turned 40 in august which was one of the reasons i wanted to stop ... do u live in the uk because if u do u can get help with the 'live well' service (ask at your doctors). Its a 12 week programme which really helped me , i used the inhalator which u use to drag on to get ur nicotine fix ... but I know what u mean about drinking and having a *kitten* they go hand in hand but honestly the inhalator is working for me and my partner. Also hang onto the thought of how long u havent smoked remember you wont have to do those first few hours ever again ...good luck. you can add me as friend for support if you want