Holidays

Options
chemalurgy
chemalurgy Posts: 48 Member
How do you spend Thanksgiving and Christmas? (or other holidays)

Replies

• beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    we just go with the flow, my son gets Easter eggs, he gets presents at Christmas, we go to the local Thai temple for Thai new year & loy krathong mostly cause it has lots of Thai food stalls & a party atmosphere, we don't actually go into the temple itself, same as we don't go to church on Christmas or Easter & we celebrate Samhain by eating lots of sweets & hanging up scary stuff.

I don't see any point in ignoring the christian holidays, I live in a christian country, when we lived in thailand we went along with all the thai ones & having kids I think it is important for them to be included. Maybe when he (the boy) is older we (hubby & I) will go back to how we used to spend Christmas in Thailand, getting drunk on the beach & eating thai food, no presents, no decorations, no tree, just a day to have fun.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    We the traditional Thanksgiving: all get together and cook and eat.

Christmas, we usually do a morning thing. Eat breakfast together and open presents. Since all of my siblings are in their 20's and 30's now, we just put everyone's name in a hat and pick a name, each only buy one gift for whomever's name we have picked. Makes it much cheaper. We still usually all get presents for and from my Mom. Moms are exempt from the rules. :-)

This year will be interesting because we have to try to hit my family and my boyfriend's two families (his parents are divorced and each remarried). So, there will be more running around and less relaxing, but hopefully a great feeling of family, which is what the holidays are about to me.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    We never really did church on the holidays anyway, so the same as always. My mom is a believer, so I let her enjoy the religious aspect. Why should I try to take that away from her when she enjoys it?
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    I spend Thanksgiving with my fiance and his family, and christmas with my family. I still havent' come "out" that I"m an atheist yet. Too much drama there..dont' want to deal.
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In the UK Christmas is just one giant party. With only just under 50% of the population identifying themselves as religious, and the majority of those not even going to church, most people just treat it as family and party time. There's always a great vibe with lots of good will towards everyone, but very little mention of God. Many people here refer back to the ancient midwinter festival and the fact that it's a hump time after which the days start getting longer again, so treat it as that kind of a celebration too. No Thanksgiving for us though - which is probably just as well as it's difficult enough being sensible diet wise over Christmas and the New Year never mind adding another major feast day :happy:
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Holidays are just an excuse for us to eat, drink, and be merry. My sister-in-law is really the only religious one in my close family, and she's laid back and realizes that the rest of us are barely/not religious.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I hold competing parties on Thanksgiving and Christmas for atheists, orphans, and people who get really stressed out during the holidays and need a place to escape, not feel pressure to drink, not be bugged about being single and unemployed, etc., but still enjoy fun films, food, beverages and conversation.

By 6pm it's the biggest party on the block. :bigsmile:
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I hold competing parties on Thanksgiving and Christmas for atheists, orphans, and people who get really stressed out during the holidays and need a place to escape, not feel pressure to drink, not be bugged about being single and unemployed, etc., but still enjoy fun films, food, beverages and conversation.

By 6pm it's the biggest party on the block. :bigsmile:

I love that idea!
  • rachaldenise
    rachaldenise Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love presents so Christmas is in but no mention of the religious aspect. I don't even do Santa. My kids KNOW who paid for their presents lol. I've never done Easter but their Grandparents send baskets sometimes. All they know is that they got extra candy and toys that day.