Input Please!

Options
I'm scheduled to have Gastric Sleeve this month and I'm excited and nervous of course . If anyone has had this surgery can you please share your success stories with me!?!

Replies

• VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I had mine done on June 14th. It was the best decision I have ever made! I feel so good about myself and the decisions I have been making. I am currently down 81 pounds, and my self esteem is through the roof. :)

The day of the surgery I was a nervous wreck. I had never had a surgery before, but the docs will give you meds. to calm your nerves. :) I know a few people who have had the surgery, and they kept me calm before the surgery itself. :) Feel free to friend me and ask as many questions as you would like to ask!
  • pwbarton1
    pwbarton1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had mine on May 23rd and was also nervous as I'm in my 60s. My brother had his done two years ago in California so I had an idea what to expect and he came East to "be my advocate." The procedure took almost 4 hours with the majority of that time spent correcting a stubborn hernia. Everything went like a charm. I was up the same day and had a jello cup that night.

I think the techniques have improved greatly since my brother had his done because, according to his wife and my nephew, I advanced very rapidly and he was a bit distressed how well I was doing. The best advice I have is to keep a pillow nearby to brace your tummy when you cough. The support is needed as are the deep breaths you need to take to keep your lungs in good shape.

I kick myself that I didn't do this earlier I think of all the grazing that got me to where I was and love the sugar free popsicles of today. After surgery support groups are a great place to talk about feelings or anything strange. I found that several people had experienced symptoms I was having and got myself to my doctor who carefully reduced some of my blood pressure and diabetic medications. My body was healing itself and didn't need pharmacy help as much. Just another added plus to having more energy and feeling better about myself.
  • cass2515
    Options
    Thank you guys for replying! And congrats on your success!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 6/11/12 5 months ago yesterday! I don't regret it at all and wish I had done it a long time ago. I have lost around 105 pounds, 47 pre op from 2/1/12 to 6/11/12 and 58 post op. I am wearing size 12 pants from a 24W and size med or large tops from a size 2XL or 3XL. Wearing a pair of tall black boots today with skinny jeans tucked into them. Yes they are the wide calf ones but I have never worn a pair of boots like this and have wanted them for years! I love it!
    Good luck on your journey!
  • Willthemedic
    Willthemedic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was sleeve 4 weeks ago this Friday. I have lost 34lbs so far adn I have no regrets. Its a lifestyle change that you need to be ready for.
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve on Nov. 5th, I too was scared but it was so easy!! I had no pain from the surgery just trapped air pain, which goes away. It's a life style change and you need to be ready for it, and follow your doctors orders to a T!!!!! I already know it's the best thing that I have EVER done for ME!!!!
  • fletchfb
    fletchfb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My sleeve will be tomorrow (11-15). Was scheduled for July but experinced heart issues (AFIB) that casued a delay. Yes I am nervours but my wife had hers weeks ago and is doing very well to my eye. She does not weigh and we do not discuss weight. I am excited and nervous so you are very normal. In July i got to 5 days out and then had to reschedule and get recertified by the heart Doctor. I lost 65 lbs in pre-op planning and working hard. Need an added 100. I know this is a a real journey, but if i work it and pay attention I have every chance to be sucessful.

FF:wink: