I'm going to hellinahandbasket. how d'ya handle cravings??

Options
Kitsada
Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
Ack... I'm premenstrual, I'm going to blame that.

And tired, and I had a rough week, and just found out I've got two more of the same coming.

I decided a splurge was in order, and have consumed bad amounts of Joy Yee's, fried dumplings, and the basil beef chow fun... (I used to order this like twice a week)

I guess one meal won't kill me, even if it was big...

I've got leftovers though. Do I eat them for lunch tomorrow? Am I possibly strong enough to throw them out? (Outside, in the dumpster, so I don't eat them...lol) Eat some more?

My real question ladies... what do you do/buy/make.... when you just really want something you know just really can't be part of your everyday life anymore?

Replies

• vhansard
    vhansard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Give in every once in a while and then get right back to the healthy eating. I'd say eat the leftovers, but scale back to low low calories on the same day for your other meals. I've found it sometimes works for me. One thing I'll tell you though, if you totally cut out the complex carbs for about 3 or 4 days, you won't have those cravings any longer. Good luck to you! We can do this if we keep at it! :flowerforyou:
  • Rosezilla
    Options
    One of the things that helps me is not to consider any foods as something that I "can't" eat. But I think long and hard about if I really want certain things or not, so that I'm not just mindlessly eating. On the days when I eat enough fiber, in the form of veggies and fruits, and drink enough fluids, and balance my meals and snacks out, I don't get as hungry for the less wholesome foods. But once in a while a splurge is perfectly fine, and can actually help you continue to eat healthfully most of the time, because you want to and not because you have to! I'm gradually losing my taste for things that I previously found irresistible, and that is a major blessing! When you do eat something less than healthful, savor it, and don't apologize, to yourself or anyone else. Enjoy it thoroughly. Then go back to eating more healthfully the other days. I think this will help us make our new eating style a lifetime habit, if it is well balanced, with treats worked in too.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Since you have decided that you will not do this often, you are probably pretty safe. If u can, drink a cpl extra glasses of water right away. The water will help with the sodium you had from what was probably a pretty salty meal.
    Above all, don't be too hard on yourself because you are making great progress!
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If Im having a really bad day, or if I am premenstrual, its got to be pizza or cheesecake...or anything chocolatey!! I have a really bad addiction to chocolate and Im trying to work out how to stop my chocolate cravings, if its better to go cold turkey and not touch any chocolate. Someone once said it takes 21 days to break a habit. Good luck, Id say eat the leftovers, get it out of your system, draw a line under it then tomorrow is a fresh day!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    If Im having a really bad day, or if I am premenstrual, its got to be pizza or cheesecake...or anything chocolatey!! I have a really bad addiction to chocolate and Im trying to work out how to stop my chocolate cravings, if its better to go cold turkey and not touch any chocolate. Someone once said it takes 21 days to break a habit. Good luck, Id say eat the leftovers, get it out of your system, draw a line under it then tomorrow is a fresh day!

Same here "it IS the chocolate" like you, I do better cold turkey than a small piece everyday!
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is so addictive, if I didnt keep chocolate in the house it would be so much easier to wean myself off, but I have 3 children and they have chocolate snack bars for their school lunch every day and biscuits! My partner, annoyingly, is very underweight and has to eat alot, he is 6ft and weighs less than me so I feel as if Im always surrounded by tempting food that I shouldnt eat, so every day is a battle of wills!!!
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, Kit. It's been a terrible 2+ weeks at work and next week will be just as stressful. In fact, there's likely to be excess stress until at least mid-January. There are a few things that make me more successful dealing with this *IF* I remember to do them:

1. Drink plenty of water. Good for the body, helps prevent fluid retention, helps the belly not feel empty so much.
    2. PLAN my meals. ALL of them. That way I know my macros won't be too out of balance and my calories will stay under control.
    3. Get enough rest. I know you are like me with this, so I'll bet when you're stressed the tendency is to get even LESS sleep than usual, but it needs to be just the opposite. Alternate days if you have to where you force yourself to just let other stuff go and use the time to sleep. I know if you're stressed there's likely plenty that you HAVE to get done, but put your need to rest at a priority often enough and you'll feel and perform better both at work and personally.

When I catch myself craving something that is less than ideal, I take a minute to evaluate it. After all, we have to judge our success by looking at the overall pattern. Is the item or meal I'm considering part of an "All Things in Moderation" plan that won't really change my results over a week or two, or is it part of a pattern of splurge and excuses I make for myself? Is it a choice that might START that kind of trend? Example: At work this week I kept finding myself wishing for a sugar-sweetened Dr. Pepper. Multiple days, more than one time a day. I know it was mostly a stress thing. But I also recognize that this is something that done once, I might tend to repeat. And use one instance to excuse the next, and the next, until I'm in a pattern of consuming LOTS of excess calories in sugary soda. So I managed to remind myself of my goals, and more importantly my desire above all to NOT go backwards! So I skipped the soda. I drank more water. One day I made myself another cup of coffee late in the workday (only about 15-20 calories as I fix it). Another day I took a Tootsie Pop out of the communal candy dish and drank another 2 or 3 cups of water. That killed the sugar craving and didn't cost me what 250 calories of DP would have. What I have failed to do this week is keep my exercise going. Must get back to that!

I'm going to go get the laundry moving again momentarily and then sit down to work on meals for the next 7 days so that I have a plan and am prepared to make it work! Need to take a walk this afternoon before the temperatures drop off again too.

Good Luck!
  • Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the posts above. It is also a good idea to be aware of the calorie content in the "off limits" foods, not so we can beat ourselves up for eating them, because an occasional splurge is actually good for us. Sometimes knowing the calories we are consuming makes it easier to walk away from them. A few years ago, I had a huge craving for a Wendys chocolate frosty so I looked up the calories in it to see how it budgeted with my supper. I haven't had it yet!
  • Midwest_Yankee
    Options
    I love Thai food. It can be high in calories. When I went out last night I asked them to put half as much sauce on it as they normally would and I thought it actually tasted better. Maybe you can find lighter versions of what you like so you don't feel banned from any particular food.
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I plan my splurges. I strive to stay on target 6 days per week with the knowledge that I have the choice to splurge one day. In my mind I plan for the weekend for dinners out, parties and the like. Sometimes I indulge (and I try to make it a really good one that truly worth savoring) but often by the time the weekend comes I've forgotten about it and I just keep going. Also when i did weigh myself regularly I did it on Monday mornings and that helped to keep me in check on the weekend.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    If you do eat the leftovers, work them into your calorie budget.

I try to work anything I'm craving into my calorie budget, except when what I'm craving is a day away from weighing, measuring, planning. Then I take my day and have whatever I want, but it's always in the back of my mind to limit how much of it I have, especially things like bread, chips, pasta, white rice, etc.
  • mepeiffer
    mepeiffer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just have what you carave but in a small ortionand you will not crave it any more
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of hot chocolate and 2 graham crackers every night before bed. I look forward to it and it has stopped me from snacking (grazing) in the late afternoon because I want to make sure I have enough calories for that bedtime treat. I know as I get closer to my goal I will have to replace it with a healthier snack but right now it works for me and keeps me on track through out the day.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I find that if I log what I'm craving, BEFORE I eat it, I can SEE how bad it is for me & it usually stops me from eating it. If you simply can't resist, don't beat yourself up. One day per month isn't going to completely derail the train!
  • IslandRider
    Options
    i still give in every so often and just try to make up for it over the next several days. The thing that works best for me is substituting, though. I especially get cravings for chocolate. LIke a nice yummy Almond Joy bar, mmmm. Instead, I have a chocolate coconut exercise bar that has CLA as one of my snacks, and make sure I do my exercise for the day. I've found several flavors that taste so good to me I feel like I'm eating a candy bar even though I'm not.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    In the begings of my weight loss journey I would treat myself to a hot fudge sunday from the cheese cake factory I would eat half or less then half and walk away from the left overs. Did this twice a year for two years and havent had one for about a year.
  • juliesjuke
    juliesjuke Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That sounds really yummy.You have a lot of will power to leave some there. G:wink: ood for you.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, right? So for me, having a little bit of something I crave only makes me want more, so I usually avoid these things altogether. BUT....if I want to treat myself occasionally, I will buy whatever it is (ice cream, donut, etc.) out so I can get one serving only and won't have leftovers to tempt me. MFP works so well for me because I can check calories BEFORE I consume something, and usually, that helps to deter me. If I am successful at it most days, I consider that a WIN! Give yourself a break. We all have cravings, and sometimes we give in, but there's always tomorrow.......
  • right2b
    right2b Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    All good advise here! For me, I took my self off all sugar and flour...it's been since last June. I found that when I wanted something sweet...I replaced how I thought about my cravings. A nutritionist said to a group of people dieting at my old work that our bodies respond to what we have been feeding it-makes sense, right? So, cravings are our body requesting what we have taught it to like, enjoy eating and need. I do say need...because it becomes habitual. The key is to replace the food item(s) to break the habit. Keep it simple, too. Too much effort in trying to figure our calories, weighing...bla, bla, bal can defeat us. One thing I read in here was a comment from a gal (sorry I didn't stick the post here) who has coco and gram crackers each night-she made an allowance for her calorie count and gave herself permission to enjoy this little treat. Perfect! Simple and sweet!!! I do the same thing with cranraisins. I know when I need a little something sweet, I can go grab a handful and it is just enough to satisfy my craving. I make allowance for this, too. When I want potato chips...I eat something crunchy. Carrots & celery and I splurge with a healthy dip. Not every day, but I think you see the scheme of replacing high fat/calorie items with better, similar-like foods. After awhile, your body will begin to request the new foods you've introduced back into your regular eating habits. It is really amazing how our body works and responds to how it's treated. Be encouraged and start small and keep it simple...you are on your way!:flowerforyou:
  • 3springchicks
    3springchicks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I splurge. It's very hard NOT to occasionally. When I feel a splurge coming on, I will do a few things. I'll drink water. Till I'm at least 1/2 full and right before my "splurge". This helps me to immediately reduce the "Bad Calories" I would've otherwise consumed. Next....I check out the calorie content (or something very similar) to get a feel for the impact of it (calories / fat, etc.)Last.....I plan extra workout time. But while I am actually in the moment and splurging? I ENJOY IT. Since I minimize it before, and I reduce it's impact after through extra exercise....I may as well enjoy it in the moment, right? Just doing this Occasionally doesn't make me feel as "deprived" as I used to when I'd pass up other tasty treats.