How early did you feel your baby move?

Options
RBXChas
RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
I'm just curious about when you all felt your baby move. I figure I'd do a little survey :smile:

I am 12w1d today, and I thought I felt him/her last week. This is my second baby, so I know how it feels, I guess. Any doctor would probably have written it off as gas, but to me it feels different. It seems to happen at night, when I'm lying on my left side (my uterus tilts to my left a bit and straightens out normally during pregnancy). I just felt something a few minutes ago, which prompted me to write this. I'm not sure if I'm crazy or not.

With my first pregnancy, I didn't feel movement until after 20w; however, I had no idea what the feeling was like, so I may have felt movement earlier but didn't know it.

So when did you first feel your baby move, either with this pregnancy or a previous one?

Replies

• Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    17-18ish weeks. I'm 20 now and its still intermittent, usually when I start to worry I feel a weird movement again though ;)
  • lourdes1201
    lourdes1201 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I felt a small popping sound at 16 wks late at night and then did not feel anything again until my 19th week. Now I am at 24wks and I feel the baby much more, although I still hold my breath when I don't, but then the movement starts again :)
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Took me till about week 22 to really feel movement before that I would think I would feel it but wasn't sure so I didn't count it.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is my first baby but I felt her to start moving at almost 18 weeks. I'm 23 weeks now and she's starting to kick pretty hard.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I swore I felt first movements around 12-13 weeks. It wasn't until close to 18 where I felt them regularly
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I swore I felt first movements around 12-13 weeks. It wasn't until close to 18 where I felt them regularly

Chickybuns, I can't remember - is this your first baby? Just curious because apparently that can make a difference. I do have a friend, however, who posted when she was 12 weeks pregnant with her son that she felt him moving, and he was her first baby. I didn't believe her at the time (not that I told her that)! Now I'm thinking that she might have been right!
  • mandalu292
    mandalu292 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This post makes me so excited.... I'm 17 weeks along with my first and haven't felt anything yet. Can't wait to feel it!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options

This^^^ I'm also a FTM but I know I felt fluttering at 13 weeks!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    With my first, I felt movements right at 16 weeks. With my second, it was earlier. Now I'm 8 weeks with baby #3 and waiting to see when I will know for sure that this one is moving. Can't wait. :-)
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Took me till about week 22 to really feel movement before that I would think I would feel it but wasn't sure so I didn't count it.

This was me too, I'm pregnant with my first. I feel him all the time now, and even though sometimes it hurts I still love feeling him move around! My husband took a new fathers class last week and there was a doctor there who said one of the reasons for post partum depression (in addition to the hormone change) is that we miss being able to be with our babies all the time. It makes sense to me!
  • abitzan
    abitzan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I didn't feel my little one until 21 weeks.
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    With my first, it was about 20 weeks. My second about 18. My third was about 16. But I think I just knew what to look for with the movement. I am 39 weeks now and it is downright painful sometimes. She and I are ready for her to come out. It is pretty funny to see the looks on my husband and kids' faces when they see her move around. It looks like an alien is about to burst out. Feels like it, too.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I didnt feel a thing until about 18 weeks
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 weeks (22 on Thursday) and I first felt my baby move around 18 weeks. :happy:
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

Chickybuns, I can't remember - is this your first baby? Just curious because apparently that can make a difference. I do have a friend, however, who posted when she was 12 weeks pregnant with her son that she felt him moving, and he was her first baby. I didn't believe her at the time (not that I told her that)! Now I'm thinking that she might have been right!

Yes, this is my first. I woudln't just feel them if I was busy, but when I sat down and was calm I could sometimes feel the fluttering or like a little thing swimming around in there.
  • RBXChas
    Options

Yes, this is my first. I woudln't just feel them if I was busy, but when I sat down and was calm I could sometimes feel the fluttering or like a little thing swimming around in there.

I wonder if it starts early, the whole phenomenon of the baby moving around when you calm down (hence why we often feel them move around and kick more at night than during the day). One of the theories is that they are rocked to sleep during the day while you are moving around, and then they are awake at night when you are more or less sedentary.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    With my first I was about 19 weeks, with my second I was about 17 weeks, my third was 14 and this one was around 14 weeks as well. I wondered a few times around 13 weeks this time. But I can't confirm if it was gas or baby! I am currently 18 weeks and feel more frequent movement.
  • keyalus
    keyalus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I felt flutters at 16 weeks with my first. This time, I felt flutters at 15 weeks and a few other times. Now I'm almost 20 weeks and haven't felt anything in a while.

I'll confess, I bought a doppler because I kind of got freaked out that something was wrong! Is anyone else MUCH more paranoid with their second pregnancy?!? I keep reading that 2nd time mothers feel movement sooner and here I am almost halfway through and not feeling much of anything. I don't use the doppler every day, but it gives me piece of mind to hear the HB since I've felt nothing for 3 weeks.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    With my first pregnancy I felt her at 16wks. This pregnancy I started feeling him earlier, at 14wks I actually felt real bouncing movements by 15wks I felt him while I was walking around the house. I felt "butterflies" around 12-13 but wasn't 100% if it was him. I was really thin to start off my pregnancy and i heard that sometimes you can feel them earlier. With my DD I was chubbier when I was first pregnant so I kinda expected to feel this guy earlier since I felt her move so early on. It also depends on the placement of the placenta. :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I started feeling very light fluttering around 15 weeks, and it wasn't really obvious until 18-19 weeks. 12 weeks is too early to really feel it.