the fine line between "obsessive" and "careless"

Options
I just had a talk with one of the guys at work about how I kept visiting the chip box then walking away empty handed. His response was "who cares, you're supposed to gain weight right now, you'll lose it after the baby is here." Hubby has a similar sentiment and is afraid that I wont eat enough for baby if I pay attention to my weight.

I'm having a hard time finding a balance between an unhealthy obcession with the number on the scale and just not caring. I gained a ton of weight during the week I was evacuated, partially b/c no MFP, partially b/c of not cooking but a lot from being with my favorite friends to binge out with. I don't want to continue the trend of rapid weight gain but at the same time I don't want to be obsessive about calories while I'm pregnant and SUPPOSED to gain weight.

How did you find a balance? I am not constantly hungry but i'm NEVER full so I just eat, then sit down for a bit, or pace, then eat some more. UGH

P.S. I see some of the pics of you ladies in the weight gain thread talking about gaining 50+ pounds and you still look FANTASTIC so sometimes I think "maybe it's best to just let my body call the shots"

Replies

• MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    That is one of the hardest things to figure out!!!! For most of my first and second trimesters I ate what I wanted I guess bc I could! I kept watching the scale creep up and it didn't bother me much for some reason. The entire year before getting pregnant I lost a bunch of weight and was concise about what I ate and exercise and all I just wanted a break and i thought i was always hungry but it was deeper than that..i felt i had to eat all the time but i really didnt need to lol . It finally clicked when I was 28 weeks and I was like what the heck am I doing??? And since, I've been more aware of my weight gain and its helped me to eat healthier and when I just want something just because it helps me to think twice and ask myself if I'm really hungry or if I just want to put something in my mouth LOL I am eating quite a bit less than I was bc my appetite has decreased and all and am still exercising and my doctor is aware and has said that its okay and that my baby is still growing so there's no reason for me to worry. You know if you're eating enough, too much, or not enough! :) good luck girl
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm still early on (11w4d), but I am definitely fretting about this. With my first pregnancy I was totally careless, and my weight gain showed it. Unfortunately I continued to be careless even after giving birth, which led me to my highest non-pregnant adult weight ever, by a long shot! So I had to lose it all from there. I thought I would be obsessive this time, but I've been pretty easy on myself as far as eating more or less what I want, when I want, but like I said, I am fretting over my gain and the fact that none of my clothes fit and I'm too small for maternity clothes (plus I sold all my old maternity clothes because they were L-XXL, and I need S-M this time).

It's tough, but I'm trying to accept it. I saw your posts on the weight gain thread, and you can see my posts there, too, so I'm trying not to be too repetitive. It really is a fine line, like you said. I think most of us are going to straddle it, sometimes being a little ridiculous in watching what we eat and sometimes being like, "Eh, what the hey," and eating whatever. To me that is totally normal.

Just try to keep yourself sane, and as long as your baby is growing, you'll be ok. We can always get any excess weight off later.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    It is hard. I honeslty am kind of over calories...I log mostly to make sure I'm getting in my macros, because I'm often more hungry than I have calories for and I can't not eat when I'm hungry or I feel guilty. If you are truly hungry then eat, just try to eat more healthy than junk...your body knows what it's doing...listen to it :)
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I ate normally I never worried about calories and I did not count my calories. At 28 weeks I did go on a special diet to try to limit the babies growth because she was becoming too big, but the diet I feel like I eat more than I did before. I have only gained 7lbs and I am at 34 weeks. Just don't go crazy with the junk.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Wow blink! only 7 lbs that's awesome! I think I figured out my problem, I was a little *cough cough* backed up. After a good bowl movement my belly is a little more defined and I look less fat :laugh:

At about 13 weeks I felt like I had the cutest little bump then these last few weeks I've just felt like a fat cow....my belly still isn't as cute as it was at 13/14 weeks but it's better than it was at the beginning of this week hehe
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Wow blink! only 7 lbs that's awesome! I think I figured out my problem, I was a little *cough cough* backed up. After a good bowl movement my belly is a little more defined and I look less fat :laugh:

At about 13 weeks I felt like I had the cutest little bump then these last few weeks I've just felt like a fat cow....my belly still isn't as cute as it was at 13/14 weeks but it's better than it was at the beginning of this week hehe

Let me tell you, that does make a difference!!! I used to be so regular, and now I get, um, backed up, and it definitely makes me look bigger. Then I "go," and I look so much smaller :wink:
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Not trying to change the subject but...Emily and Rbx I hope yalls problem gets better! I've been constipated my whole pregnancy and have to take stool softeners on a regular basis but now that I am 36 weeks its gotten WAY worse! So my dr told me to take some milk of magnesia..we'll see! Side note, before getting pregnant I was the complete opposite!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Not trying to change the subject but...Emily and Rbx I hope yalls problem gets better! I've been constipated my whole pregnancy and have to take stool softeners on a regular basis but now that I am 36 weeks its gotten WAY worse! So my dr told me to take some milk of magnesia..we'll see! Side note, before getting pregnant I was the complete opposite!

On the "elimination" front, I just wanted to say that prune juice, pear juice, Fiber one bars, and coffee (one cup a day) all seem to help me. I also make this spinach-banana-prune smoothie thing that (hand to God) tastes delicious and seems to be relatively effective also.

Ok, back to the subject at hand...
  • MrsCarter00
    Options

On the "elimination" front, I just wanted to say that prune juice, pear juice, Fiber one bars, and coffee (one cup a day) all seem to help me. I also make this spinach-banana-prune smoothie thing that (hand to God) tastes delicious and seems to be relatively effective also.

Haha! Haven't tried the juices but I do eat plenty of fiber and drink 2 cups of coffee/day....that used to help me but not since I've been pregnant. Oh and I also am extremely anal about getting at least my 8 cups of water in/day (I just forget to log it) but I'm not complaining, I just have to hold on for a few more weeks!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Haha! Haven't tried the juices but I do eat plenty of fiber and drink 2 cups of coffee/day....that used to help me but not since I've been pregnant. Oh and I also am extremely anal about getting at least my 8 cups of water in/day (I just forget to log it) but I'm not complaining, I just have to hold on for a few more weeks!

Oh dear, sorry, I just stumbled upon this and had to share. I am definitely not advocating it, but it's funny. Definitely check out the comments section. http://jezebel.com/5959880/pepsi-is-releasing-a-new-brand-of-fat+blocking-cola-that-will-obviously-totally-work?utm_campaign=socialflow_jezebel_facebook&utm_source=jezebel_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options

hahahahaha you're "anal" about 8 cups of water
  • doubletnurse
    doubletnurse Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Fyi- taking a probiotic helps too!
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I dont focus much on what I eat...especially bc although I am 13w3d my nausea is worst and I got sick yesterday morning :( (only the second time since I have been pregnant, but even this morning it was hard to fight it off)........so I am just trying to eat a variety. I focus on getting my calcium,protein,fruit, and veggies and then I generally stay full. Its a struggle especially getting veggies with every meal. But I dont count calories. I just focus and enjoy a little bad here and there if I want it.
  • CountryGirl84
    CountryGirl84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My first pregnancy I gained 90lbs WAY TOO MUCH by eating everything and anything because I listened to everyone who said "it doesn't matter, you're supposed to gain weight while pregnant"

I didn't lose it easily afterward but eventually did...now this time around (almost 5 years later) I am 35 weeks pregnant and have gained 20lbs which is right on track. I really have no been counting calories at all I have just been trying to make healthier choices, I have worked with a dietician and they have said it's not about limiting the calories but making the calories count! eating healthy foods that provide your baby with the nutrition he/she needs...
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was doing well with my weight gain and then I got sick with a terrible cold a couple of weeks ago and I didn't log my food and I drank a TON of juice to get the extra vitmamin C and now I'm really only supposed to gain about 7 lbs more for the rest of my pregnancy. And I'm 23 weeks. My doctor's goal is 20-25 lbs and I've already gained 16 lbs. I will be personally happy if I keep it under 30 lbs. It's just harder than I thought it would be!!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options

hahahahaha you're "anal" about 8 cups of water

At least 8,l I'm not usually happy unless I get 10 or so lol I picked up the habit when I started losing weight. Before I got healthy I didn't really drink soda or anything but I was always one of those people who would/could go hours without drinking anything..which of course is no good!