Manufactured on Equipment….

Options
I have just recently been diagnosed with Celiac. I have contacted a few companies to ask about whether there is gluten in their products. A lot of them tell me they are gluten free but manufactured on equipment that processes other gluten items. Then they proceed to tell me the lines are washed down and so on.

When Companies tell you this do you trust eating this product?

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I have never had an issue. That is mostly a legal disclaimer.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    I have a friend with a severe wheat allergy. She can't eat out, because if her dish is cooked in a pan that previously held something with wheat, or if her salad contains a tiny crumb of crouton, she ends up in the ER.

For her, it matters. For most of us, it probably doesn't.

If it's a manufacturer I'd trust anyway, I don't worth about it.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    There *are* people who are sensitive enough that it really matters. Must make life hell, sometimes.
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    I am one of the super sensitives :-( I do not think it is the norm though. A few weeks ago I ate a bar that said gluten free on it. Within a few hours I had the blistery rash going down my neck and a few hours after that I had ulcers in my mouth. All followed by the few days of digestive agony, tiredness, and headaches. I could not figure out what did it because the gluten free snack bar was the only processed out of the ordinary thing I had eaten for days. I got the wrapper out of the trash and on the back it said made on shared equipment with wheat. I can't remember if you're the type that reacts to gluten but you'll figure out how sensitive you are to possible continuation from shared equipment.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on how sensitive you are. the more sensitive you are the more you're going to only want to use a place that is completely gluten free.

i dont know any commercial brands like that, but it seems that there are more and more restaurants. i live in the bay area are there are about 5 restaurants that i know for certain are 100% gluten free with everything. that just makes everything so much easier
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I won't do it even if they are wash you never know how well. even if your not having issue with it still in your body and can do damage.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this the other day :)!

I really wonder how things are going to change in the future with food lables with the alergy increase gluten seems to be having. I have researched a lot of places to eat in Seattle area am excited to see at least two places I can eat :)! that are 100% gluten free... I about pee my pants when I realized I actually HAVE A CHOICE!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this the other day :)!

I really wonder how things are going to change in the future with food lables with the alergy increase gluten seems to be having. I have researched a lot of places to eat in Seattle area am excited to see at least two places I can eat :)! that are 100% gluten free... I about pee my pants when I realized I actually HAVE A CHOICE!

seattle i'm sure has a few completely gluten free bakeries!

i found 2 near me and i'm so excited because this means i can have stuffing this t-day. stuffing i by far my absolute fave thanksgiving food, so :drinker: one of them is even offering to do a full thanksgiving day spread for you. i'll be spending the day with friends, but i'm thinking of ordering the dinner for 1 from the bakery because i know at my friends i'm going to have to pick and choose stuff and probably only end up eating dry *kitten* turkey :laugh:
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I found a store (its like Whole foods but smaller) that offers gluten-free thanksgiving dinners for 2-10 people. I was so excited! my poor husband thought we step into a hippie compound he was looking for a drum circle ;)! He is supportive however I dont think he really understands that anxiety/stress that happens when you have to look at EVERY food lable to to ensure that X product was not glutened during the manufactured procress.

The lady at the store told me that foods that are certified gluten free just means that the item is ensured to not be manufactured/process on equipment that has had wheat/etc.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think if you've been diagnosed with Celiac disease that you need to be extra careful. The effects can be life-threatening. I, myself, have only a wheat allergy that keeps me up at night coughing and choking -- can't lay down. If a product contains wheat, that needs to be listed on the ingredients and I'm very glad of that. I've started reading labels on everything. When we eat out at new places I talk to the wait staff about gluten-free items and they usually check with the chef/cook. If there is a doubt, I stick with salads, no croutons.

Good luck.
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just the opinion I have adopted..... there is NOTHING that tastes good enough to risk my health.

No, I don't trust it. The trust would only be as good at the person working that shift doing the washing.

Risk is not worth it to me.

And no, I have not eaten out since February, and never will again. Only one other person I trust to prepare food for me. God Bless my son for understanding! I have eaten twice at his house and never got sick. He must luv his mama!