Thanksgiving

Options
I need some advice. My stepmother is at a loss as to what to do for me. I'm Gluten Free (just diagnosed January 2012), and just about everything all my families make contains Gluten. Does anyone have any ideas for things I can make and take myself? Cheap and Easy items? They want me to feel included, and I want that, too. I don't want to pig out or anything, but I want to be able to enjoy dinner with my family. And I don't want them feeling sorry for me, or self conscious that they might offend me. I don't want any misunderstandings between us at all.

I'm sure the turkey and ham will be fine, but they do all kinds of crazy things with the sides. And the rolls! Oh, I'll miss not being able to have those soft, home-made, delicious rolls! What am I going to do?!!! Someone please help.

Replies

• jnoring
    Options
    I am making myself plain old mashed potatos. TBH I am only going to eat what I bring. That way I know its safe, not very fun but what can ya do! :P
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that stuffing is not safe... if they are intending to stuff the turkey then it will be contaminated. you could always offer to make the stuffing yourself. Make sure any mashed potatoes have no added flour. You can also bring your own gravy.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that stuffing is not safe... if they are intending to stuff the turkey then it will be contaminated. you could always offer to make the stuffing yourself. Make sure any mashed potatoes have no added flour. You can also bring your own gravy.

I the spirit of this ^ quote I suggest this recipe I found on Linda's Low Carb:
    Yes is was intended for a low carb dieter but it's gluten free too!

MUSHROOM CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
    3-4 cups diced cooked chicken
    1 pound pork sausage
    1 stalk celery, chopped fine
    1 tablespoon onion, chopped
    1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower, cooked well and drained
    8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
    Salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Paprika, optional

Brown the sausage with the celery, onion and mushrooms (I added sage too). Stir the softened cream cheese into the sausage mixture until well blended. Coarsely chop the cooked cauliflower. Mix all of the ingredients and spread in a greased 9x13" baking dish. If desired, dust the top with paprika (I also added, a blend of crushed pork rinds & parmesan cheese). Bake at 350º for about 40 minutes until the top is nicely browned.

Of course you can tweak it to make it what you need for it to be but it really does taste like Thanksgiving turkey & stuffing. I subbed hot italian turkey sausage because some brands of pork sausage makes my stomach hurt. I'll also suggest to use the breast of the chicken or turkey because the dark meat made it a lil more oily. Omit or add what you like and you can make a personal sized pan just for you to take with you and enjoy. You won't be disappointed. :tongue: Hope this helps!
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you like to eat. Just take and eat something you like.

Bear in mind, people do not understand fully and are not careful. You eat anything on that table, and you run the risk of being contaminated. Should they use a spoon in an unsafe thing, and then dip into something you thought was safe, you could be contaminated. Its up to you the risk you want to take with your health.

I will be eating before I go to the dinner. I even take my own drink. Who knows how carefully a glass or cup is washed?
  • JMStockman1979
    Options
    I am making myself plain old mashed potatos. TBH I am only going to eat what I bring. That way I know its safe, not very fun but what can ya do! :P

Thanks! That's a very good idea!
  • JMStockman1979
    Options

Thank you. I am quite concerned about that as well. I intend to ask how they'll make the turkey and if they'll stuff it or not. And my own mashed potatoes; good idea! I'm not big on gravy, so that will be just one less thing for me to worry about! I appreciate the advice!
  • JMStockman1979
    Options

I the spirit of this ^ quote I suggest this recipe I found on Linda's Low Carb:
    Yes is was intended for a low carb dieter but it's gluten free too!

MUSHROOM CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
    3-4 cups diced cooked chicken
    1 pound pork sausage
    1 stalk celery, chopped fine
    1 tablespoon onion, chopped
    1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower, cooked well and drained
    8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
    Salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Paprika, optional

Brown the sausage with the celery, onion and mushrooms (I added sage too). Stir the softened cream cheese into the sausage mixture until well blended. Coarsely chop the cooked cauliflower. Mix all of the ingredients and spread in a greased 9x13" baking dish. If desired, dust the top with paprika (I also added, a blend of crushed pork rinds & parmesan cheese). Bake at 350º for about 40 minutes until the top is nicely browned.

Of course you can tweak it to make it what you need for it to be but it really does taste like Thanksgiving turkey & stuffing. I subbed hot italian turkey sausage because some brands of pork sausage makes my stomach hurt. I'll also suggest to use the breast of the chicken or turkey because the dark meat made it a lil more oily. Omit or add what you like and you can make a personal sized pan just for you to take with you and enjoy. You won't be disappointed. :tongue: Hope this helps!

Thanks so much! I might have to use this! Great recipe!
  • JMStockman1979
    Options
    I have no idea what you like to eat. Just take and eat something you like.

Bear in mind, people do not understand fully and are not careful. You eat anything on that table, and you run the risk of being contaminated. Should they use a spoon in an unsafe thing, and then dip into something you thought was safe, you could be contaminated. Its up to you the risk you want to take with your health.

I will be eating before I go to the dinner. I even take my own drink. Who knows how carefully a glass or cup is washed?

Thanks! I'm quite concerned about cross-contamination; I've always been very picky when cooking myself, and my worst fears about other people not being so conscious of the issue when working with a new cook at my last job.

I think my stepmom will be most upset that I'll be unable to eat any of their pies and cookies and other desserts. And boy, will I miss those rolls! Oh, well. I will just have to remind myself of the consequences!

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Thank you all so much for the replies! I appreciate you all so very much!
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am in Canada and our Thanksgiving was last month. I had everyone to our house for dinner and did all the cooking so that I was in control of what was in the meal. This was my first big get together since having to go gluten free and I am pleased to say it was a great success!

I did the whole meal gluten free! I did have regular rolls for everyone else but I was able to have gluten free for myself. I made a gluten free stuffing and gravy and even did a gluten free cheese cake for dessert - I did have a regular pie for anyone that preferred that.

I didn't tell anyone that it was a gluten free meal until they were all done and said how good it was!

I went on the hunt for recipes and will use most of them again. Here is a link to the Gluten Free Goddess thanksgiving ideas and tips, one of my favorite places to get new recipes.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.ca/

Good Luck!
  • JMStockman1979
    Options
    I am in Canada and our Thanksgiving was last month. I had everyone to our house for dinner and did all the cooking so that I was in control of what was in the meal. This was my first big get together since having to go gluten free and I am pleased to say it was a great success!

I did the whole meal gluten free! I did have regular rolls for everyone else but I was able to have gluten free for myself. I made a gluten free stuffing and gravy and even did a gluten free cheese cake for dessert - I did have a regular pie for anyone that preferred that.

I didn't tell anyone that it was a gluten free meal until they were all done and said how good it was!

I went on the hunt for recipes and will use most of them again. Here is a link to the Gluten Free Goddess thanksgiving ideas and tips, one of my favorite places to get new recipes.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.ca/

Good Luck!

Oh, thank you so much! I wish I could have everyone over here and make the entire meal myself, but I just don't have the money or the room to do so. I'm definitely going to check out that webite! I get a few email news letters that are all Gluten free, but I've never heard of that site; can't wait to check it out.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have been GF for about 8 months now and this holiday season will be my first run at this :) I am having a tad bit of anxiety about the food I want to eat but cant!

My husbands family is a tad confused as to what gluten is so I offered to host this year... also because I can control whats in the food >:) I am doing a Low carb diet but last week I decided to branch out a little and try gluten free corn bread.. it was so good!

My work is also having a holiday get together and 90% of the food is off limits :(! One of my clients is GF also so I offered to make him and myself a "meal" that we can both have. I have noticed there is alot of confusion from people as to what gluten is :/ Like some mushroom soup or soup in general has wheat in it... I found out the hard way!
  • Erin1712
    Erin1712 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am Canadian as well and I just watched like a hawk so no flour was used that and my husband helped make the meal so he watched close too. Also I baked all the bread the day before for my MIL and my mother to put in the stuffing so we could all enjoy because it would be hard as my 3 boys and I all need GF. The big thing I did not think of until dessert at the first supper was all the desserts have gluten! My MIL thought cheese cake was GF (uh what about the crust) so we made sure to make and bring dessert the next night.
  • Diane_58
    Diane_58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to make sure there's turkey, a simple fruit salad, and mashed potatoes with butter available as a minimum, even if I have to pass everything else up. My daughter needs to be GF, too, and I'm hoping he bring a GF pie to the dinner. He gave me one for my birthday and got his first kiss on the cheek from me!
  • rcaton3
    rcaton3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    offer to help cook. then you have some control on what ingredients are in some of the food. it's the stuffings, cakes, breads that get ya! I'm planning on making desserts that are gluten free, and no one will know but me!