Warm Up Sets

Options
prietys
prietys Posts: 11 Member
Hi Everyone,
I have a question about the warm up sets.
So, Mehdi has come up with following guidelines

135lb
2x5 45lb : this means 2 sets of 5 repetition
3x75lb : 3x what does this mean 3 sets of 1 repetition : then should't it be written like 3x1. ( like in deadlift he writes 1x5 )
2x110lb : 2x means 2 sets of 1 repetition.
5x5 135lb : 5 sets of 5 rep.

Please help.
thanks in advance.

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. well I do my warmup sets differently. Yesterday I did 100 lbs on squat.

I did 1x5 of just the bar and then 1x5 of 70 lbs, then I did my 5x5 of 100 lbs.

On deads I did 135 lbs, so I did 1x5 of 65 lbs, then 95 lbs, then 115 lbs, and then my working set of 135 lbs.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    ^^^What buffcupcake said. I don't really have it down to an art, just start light with a set or two and work up to my working set. Not sure if that's right, but it seems to be working for me for now.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I would stagger my 2 warm up sets for each exercise. Empty bar, then halfway between empty and workset. Except DL...I would subtract 30 lbs and 15 lbs from my workset.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I do
    50% of working weight x5
    75% of working weight x5

fe in my working weight is 100 lbs
    I would warm up with 50 and 75 lbs (always counting the bar)
  • prietys
    prietys Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thnx everyone,
    hasn't logged into the site in a while.
    appreciate the inputs.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Its not super important, just get warm.

I do like 1 set of 5 with the bar, 1 set of 5 with a moderate amount of weight, 1 set of 3 with a higher amount of weight, then go.

But it depends kind of on you - I work out at night so I'm already fairly warm just from being up and about. If you work out first thing in the morning you might want to do a lot more warming up - I'd probably do 5-10 minutes of cardio too.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thanks! I'm always a slacker on warming up but I know I need to do more once I start lifting heavy.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm not very good at warming up. I think I need to do better. I don't even warm up for bench press... I just do like 3 reps with the bar by itself and then go on to my regular weight, which was only 55lb lol. I am going to start warming up with dumbells I think... I think that's really the only option I have...

but for sqauts I usually just do a couple sets of just the bar, and then one set of maybe 65lbs or so... then I do my regular weight which is 90 pounds...

And I also don't warm up very well with deadlifts. I feel like I need to rush through those because there's not really any specific spot to do them so I just take a bar from one of the bench press racks and put it on the ground in the space in front of/next to the bench. I feel like I'm not supposed to do that? No one has ever said anything to me or looked at me funny. I have never seen anyone else do a deadlift at my gym. I saw one person do them once but they did it with the smith machine... o_O
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure either, hesn92. I think the floor is ideally reinforced for deadlifts, so I've done them in the power rack area because that's the reinforced area and where other people were doing them. My gym is changing though, and I think there's now another area to do them. Maybe it's best to just ask if nobody else is doing them?

I usually do less reps as I get closer to my workweight. So for squats, I might do a couple of sets of 5 with the bar, then one heavier set of 4, then a heavier set of 3, then a final warmup of just two reps, then my workweight sets. (ETA: don't take as advice! This is just what I do :)).