Coat Recommendations

Options
kristen6022
kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
I was hoping the tall ladies of this group would help me out with some coat recommendations. I'd like to keep it under $150, I would either wear a S-M (5'11 148). Something really warm - live in OH and we have unpredictable winters. I really never had a hard time finding them when I was larger (you just get a bigger size) but now that I'm slim I find that if the coat is too big you just look frumpy. Of course sleeve length is a concern, as well as one long enough to cover my behind...

Thanks ahead of time!

Replies

• jessicaj_824
    jessicaj_824 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Victoria's Secret cataloge has cute coats avaiable in Tall. I bought one years ago and its the only coat I own that covers my wrists :-)
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristen!

I personally have had the best luck with longer sleeve coats at either New York and Company or JCPenney. My coat last year was only $75 and it is extremely long, a purple Worthington peacoat. I tried one on at NY and CO for $140 that I may go back and buy, they have ridiculous sales all of the time and I can probably get it for under $100 no problem with a sale.
  • kristen6022
    Options
    Victoria's Secret cataloge has cute coats avaiable in Tall. I bought one years ago and its the only coat I own that covers my wrists :-)

I just checked, they don't sell Talls in Coats any more! Lame!
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of awesomely warm winter coats from LL Bean.

I have this one in brown:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/42359?feat=610-GN1&page=ultrawarm-coat-long

and this one in purple orchid:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70420?feat=610-GN1&page=mountain-laurel-down-jacket

I got them on clearance last February for cheaper than what is listed on the site. I had to get an XL because of my weight, and the sleeves are a bit on the long side, not that I mind. What I really like about both of them is that although they are down or puff filled, neither one makes me look fatter than I actually am, and the second one (the mountain laurel jacket) is nicely cut so that it is actually kind of flattering!

Another nice thing about the LL Bean site is that there are loads of reviews. One thing about the reviews: some people say that the warmth ratings are baloney, but the ratings are based on not only the outdoor temperature, but also what else you're wearing and what you're doing at the time. Here's what they say about the temperature range:

"Our comfort ranges are based on tests simulating a 28-year-old man of average build wearing appropriate layers. When a range is shown, the first temperature indicates the product's comfort rating during light to moderate activity, such as walking slowly. The second temperature indicates the comfort rating during moderate activity, such as jogging a short distance or snowshoeing. When selecting outerwear or footwear, please consider your personal response to cold, your activity level and local weather conditions."

I hope you find a jacket that you like!
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Not sure how dressy you are looking for but Old Navy has some cute jackets in tall. I order a lot of jeans, tees and sweaters from there and they all run really long.
  • kristen6022
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I ended up finding one at a resale shop and since I sold clothes it turned out to be free. I like free - but I'll keep my eyes open for others go on clearance in the upcoming months for a different one!
  • kristen_lynn
    kristen_lynn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i have a beautiful oxblood long coat from h&m. thirty dollars a few years ago and has held up beautifully. i'm 5'11" and very picky and it has definitely lived up to my standards :)