Any Other Ironman Enthusiasts Out There

Options

Replies

• Chelseamousy
    Chelseamousy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there I have done one Ironman in 2009 and I have entered my first full Half Ironman since then. Its in November this year, I am still lacking the motivation to get back on my bike. Its like starting at zero. I was just a finisher in 2009 and I loved every minute of it. I want my mojo back. Thats why I am on here and are piece by piece building my wee base. I am a New Zealander anyone doing any races down here?
  • Islandqueenfl
    Islandqueenfl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for my first full, Ironman Florida, on Nov. 3. Really excited to attempt this distance!
  • jess_two_goats
    Options
    I will be doing Ironman Melbourne with my husband in March. It will be our first full ironman after doing the Busselton 70.3 (our first half) in May this year :)
  • jess_two_goats
    Options
    Brown should be great inspiration for you, a champion Kiwi!
    This image is on my desktop, I went & watched this race & am doing it next year.
    The running between Brown & Crowie was phenomenal.

http://www.twogoats.com.au/images/Ao4UCRQCEAA7tL_.jpg-large.jpeg
  • runmama262
    Options
    My first half IM (and second triathlon, eek) is next July.

If all goes well, I'll register for Lake Placid 2014!

The swim frightens me!
  • bondgirl13
    bondgirl13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've got Sheparton 70.3 in November and my first ironman in June next year-IM Cairns. Oh dear...what have I done?
  • klwtrask
    klwtrask Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have done 4 Ironman distance races; however, I am taking some time off. I got very burn out on the training. Perhaps in another year or two I will do another race, but it will be a race to qualify. In the mean time I would like to get my weight down to a more competitive level, focus on the international and half distance, and work on my transistion times. Flying mount anyone?

I would love to be an encouragement to anyone who is training, just send me a friend request. Especially if you are training alone, I know from experience it can be down right horrible at times.
  • kywh
    kywh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm training for IMAZ in November! It will be my first Ironman. I have had a hard time losing weight while training hard. I recommend taking some time to focus on weight loss for about 8 weeks before hitting the Ironman training hard.
  • klwtrask
    klwtrask Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just curious if there are any Ironman athletes in the Winston-Salem, NC area...
  • kywh
    Options
    Finished a 70.3 today--4 weeks to Ironman AZ!!
  • brits111383
    Options
    I'm debating whether or not I want to drop the $600 to do IMTX for a second time. My first one my bike fit (shoes) were wrong, so my bike was horrible. I'd love a rematch ... but it's so expensive! I'm also wondering if all of the weight training I'm doing will make a difference in weight loss (and my speed) by May.
  • kywh
    Options
    Have you looked at the HITS calendar? If there's a race in your area, their fees are usually much less than Ironman fees. http://hitstriathlonseries.com/
  • KCinthePark
    Options
    Dear Brits

Contratulations on figuring out how valuable weight training is. As I've aged, I've become more and more of a believer in the values you state. It certainly can't entirely take the place of swimming, biking and running (and eating, stretching, sleeping, .... gee, we do a lot to get to the finish line at IM don't we) but strength to weigh ratio tends to be the most common limiter to age groupers.

I know that IM is expensive (and that isn't including the time, swim lessons, nutrition, 2-3 pairs of runners, tires, electrolyte, .... that we'll also spend on during the training), but is there any better investment than giving yourself a lofty goal to motivate you to become a healthier you?

It's an exciting year for me. With the end of IMC in Penticton I'm breaking my rule of and IM every three years (1 year training and 2 years rekindling my relationship with my family!!) and have signed up for the Irondistance Challenge race on the same course). It will be interesting to see what training is like without two years off (though the two months following IMC this year were spent over eating, as usual).
  • kywh
    Options
    I am officially an Ironman!! I completed Ironman AZ on Sunday!
  • obrats
    obrats Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Getting back to MFP. I did complete my first IM back in August (IMNYC). But I have now put on 25 pounds since the race. So I am here to get me back on track.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I just started running last fall and ran my first half marathon a few weeks ago. My swimming technique is horrible and I don't own a bike. I would like to do my first full marathon by the end of 2014. I plan to start with a Sprint Triathlon after my first marathon this summer and then do a half ironman before preparing for the full distance,
  • bdiverse
    bdiverse Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of hoping to revive this thread a little bit, because I LOVE the idea of connecting with some like-minded (perhaps also "equally crazy") friends!

I've been more running-oriented in the past, but now that I have 11 marathons, a 50-mile run and a few century rides under my belt..., I'm looking to the next big challenge.

Somehow, I was able to sneak into IMAZ 2013 (in the 40-seconds that online registration was open)... and I'm THRILLED... :smile: and a little bit terrified. :noway:

I've been spending the Winter months working on my swim efficiency and endurance!
  • kywh
    Options
    I'm kind of hoping to revive this thread a little bit, because I LOVE the idea of connecting with some like-minded (perhaps also "equally crazy") friends!

I've been more running-oriented in the past, but now that I have 11 marathons, a 50-mile run and a few century rides under my belt..., I'm looking to the next big challenge.

Somehow, I was able to sneak into IMAZ 2013 (in the 40-seconds that online registration was open)... and I'm THRILLED... :smile: and a little bit terrified. :noway:

I've been spending the Winter months working on my swim efficiency and endurance!

Congrats on getting in!! It fills so quickly! It's a great course. The water is calm and the rest of the course is relatively flat. If you have a chance (and live in the area), I'd recommend trying one of the Red Rock Co races--they cover a lot of the same ground as IMAZ so it's a nice preview for the IMAZ course.
  • KCinthePark
    Options
    One month until Challenge Pentiction ("ironman distance" race - note small 'I' :-). I'm always worried that I haven't done enough, but it's still going to be great. I'll update everyone on how this goes with the new company running the race.

Having watched some videos on Challenge Roth, with a quarter million fans along the course, It popped onto my radar as a 'bucket list' race. Imagine my surprise when it sold out (6000 spots) in less than 4 minutes!! Guess I'll have to be serious if I decide to do it (and get permission from the boss!!).
  • KCinthePark
    Options
    I'm signed up for two 70.3 distance races next year (Great White North and Challenge Pentiction). Considering also trying to get to IM Cozumel. Has anyone else done that one. Any comments on the race, location, SWIM!!!, .....