Christmas parties how to handle it all

Options
Gohomebay
Gohomebay Posts: 116 Member
hey ladies,
Well been thinking about this crazy busy party season. How to deal with all the savory nibbles, different cocktails etc!?
Let's share some tips!
I was thinking if it is just a cocktail nibble party I would eat half a dinner first so not starving and hope that after a few drinks I would not then keep eating too much.
Also try try to drink water during the party.....I am not very good at that one!
Ideas?
Erin

Replies

• laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am going to try to be more involved with people at parties this year-instead of focusing on all the yuimmy food that is there-I tell myself "I have had that before, yes I know it is delicious but Sara Jane means more to me than the food" Also a glass of water w/a slice of lemon-lime-orange in it can be a drink of healthy for us-maybe have a cocktail then water-cocktail-water. Good luck to us all
  • Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'd say...

1. Good idea, don't arrive to the thing starving. Eat something, a salad, some cheese, something... beforehand. Not a whole or even a half dinner though. Best to leave yourself with some calories to work with, I think.

2. White wine spritzers can feel festive and alcoholy tasting with less calorie impact.

3. Stay near the veggie/fruit plate. Even if you eat some of the dip, (probably ranch or onion dip), its going to be better than a lot of the other savory choices, I think.

4. The desserts. Gosh, I just don't even know. Eat fruit instead? HAHAHAHAA.... maybe have half of one very tiny one, or a bite or two of a friend's...

Yup, good luck to us all!
  • ruthmiriam
    ruthmiriam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If they are asking people to bring something, bring veggies and hummus. Then mostly stick to that, maybe having little samples of other appetizers if they look really good.

I agree with the drinking water, and definitely limiting the alcohol.

My usual rule on desserts is that store bought is never worth the calories. They usually just don't taste that great. However, home made desserts are usually worth at least a taste.

My general rule for any party is just to think before putting any food in my mouth. Is the momentary pleasure of tasting it worth the work it will take to get those calories back off my body?
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the food table. I always have a hard time resisting if it is within my reaching distance. Take a small plate, or better still a napkin and put some healthy food on that. You won't be able to get a lot on there, especially if you are juggling it with a glass of water at the same time. If it's a potluck, take a couple of dishes that you know the calories for that you are able to eat and use those to fill you somewhat. Avoid the creamy dips. Get salsa for your veg. Avoid puff pastry and fatty cheesy things. Arrive a little late and leave a little early. Drink LOTS of water before you go. Ask the host(ess) to brew a pot of your special tea or coffee-even if you have to bring it along so you can keep the booze calories as low as possible. I am often involved in a lot of potluck things and I nearly always take my own beverage and even my own food. I also contribute the yummy fatty stuff that everyone else likes so I feel like I'm doing my fair share. I am really fortunate to have a great group of friends and business associates who let me be eccentric and are very gracious about my "special needs" for food. I bet more ppl would be that way if they knew how to be helpful.

Barb
  • jinglett
    Options
    Volunteer to be designated driver if you are going with some one. I have hosted many winter parties for various reasons and the fresh fruit bowl is always the first thing depleted. I think everyone is starved for the fresh taste in Minnesota by December. If you don't want to bring it all mixed up...make small fruit kabobs. People love them because they can be eaten one handed. As for the other treats find a place that is hard to get of and sit there. Basically trap your self in conversation if possible. If the event includes dancing, get out and dance. As for the rest of the treats think about a limit/goal ahead of time. Maybe it's pick 2 of your all time favorite treats and choose those and enjoy every bite and add the fresh stuff on the rest of the plate. Plan ahead to exercise the day before and the day of and eat some healthier low cal choices. Remember though many times the day after is the real trouble spot because you used up all "your good" behavior the day before. Plan your meals ahead of time for the day after. Seriously! I mean this....think of how often you were good at a holiday event and the next day you totally crashed. :drinker: