New Here and Hoping Some Can Relate

Options
andiimarie
andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
Hi all! I'm new to the group, just diagnosed with PCOS and Metabolic Syndrome Monday. I have been having difficulty losing weight for about 5 years now. Most doctors just wrote off my complaints and referred me to WW. Last year I finally went to see an endocrinologist, but the only thing he had to say was that I was hypoglycemic. I went on believing that I was just "doing it wrong" when it came to diet and exercise. I played so many games in my head about measuring food, counting calories, etc. constantly doubting myself. I was losing, but so painfully slow. I hit a plateau at 250 lbs and could not break through it.

After a particularly emotional and frustrating evening, a friend said to me "Only you know deep down if something just does not seem right with your body." to prove to myself I wasn't "doing it wrong" I buckled down on the diet and exercise, even put the scale away, and when I weighed one month later, I lost absolutely nothing.

So back to the doctor I went, and then to a new endocrinologist. Looking at the same labs from 2011 he was so certain that I have PCOS he started me on Metformin that same day. I had new labs done yesterday and see the doc again on Monday. In one way I'm relieved to have a diagnosis, but since a couple days have passed I am now overwhelmed trying to figure out what this all means.

I would love to find other women who are experiencing this to add as friends. Please add me if you are interested!

Replies

• Jeanlk4
    Options
    You're definitely not alone! It's such a huge frustration. I once had a doctor say to me, "you'll have to work twice as hard, twice as long, for half the result of a normal person" (nice motivation, eh?).

But in a little over a month I've lost 6 pounds. It's more then I've lost in years. I seem to finally have found the right mixture of calories vs exercise that makes my body go, "oh, THAT'S what you're doing!". I really just had to say screw any funky diets, or weird plans. I decided to just make healthier choices and count the calories, work out 6 days a week, and do what feels right.

Hang in there, I hope you find something that works for you!
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    6 pounds is great! Way to go!

I'm having trouble figuring out what will work diet wise. I'm thinking maybe I should see a dietitian. I should probably start writing down all the questions I come up with so I remember to ask them at my next appointment. :o/
  • Jeanlk4
    Options
    I've been debating seeing a dietician as well! Certainly can't hurt.

I had myself knocked down to 1500 calories a day and gained 3 pounds. My sister said maybe it was too low so I raised it to 1730 and boom, I start seeing results. Totally counter-intuitive, but I guess it just wasn't the right chemistry for my body. So don't lose hope, you'll figure out what works for you sooner or later, key is to not give up! :-)
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I had a doctor suggest South Beach Diet and I love it. I can see myself eating this way the rest of my life. In a little more than a year I have lost 65 pounds. Also I go to the gym 3 times a week. I still have a long way to go, but I am slowly getting there. Either of you can add me if you like.
  • morgycg
    morgycg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was fortunate in that I got diagnosed with PCOS when I was only 17, so now I know a lot about this condition. But I definitely feel you regarding struggling harder than regular people to lose weight. Feel free to add me!