srarting my journey... help

Options
I'm starting my journey to surgery but having sad thoughts about giving up food! Is this normal? Is cooking still going to be enjoyable? Am I going to be satisfied eating 3 oz of food ina sitting? Canny someone give me some insite? :smile:

Replies

• cass2515
    Options
    I have my surgery Nov 26 so I cant say from experience how its going to be but I have a lot of friends that have done it and they say, Yes you will ask yourself "why did I do this?" and that you will miss food, but only for the 1st few weeks. After that they say its the best decision they've made and their only regret was not doing it sooner. I also remind myself that my "love" of food is what got me here and Im trying to look at food differently! Good luck on your journey! :)
  • lcardullo
    Options
    When did you have your sleeve done? I am also unable to speak from personal experience but I have heard from so many people that it is the best thing they have ever done. Yes, some say that they miss certain foods but that the benefit far outweighs any desire. I'm hoping this holds true for me as I'm scheduled to have my sleeve on 11/26. I can't wait!
  • DonnaLRB
    DonnaLRB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on October 10, and I am thrilled that I did it! My husband has to wait until January, and he's actually jealous of me rather than the other way around.

Self-described "Foodies", we both love to cook, love to eat, and love to go out to eat. After the first few weeks, I have been able to TASTE pretty much what ever I wanted to, BUT I am satisfied (FULL) after only a few bites. I do try to eat healthy as much as possible, but we went on vacation for a week, and I STILL lost weight!

I found a great cookbook on Amazon.com called Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery. The foods are lowfat, high protein, and can be pureed or served as is. The author had lap band surgery, and has lots of recipes that can be used for bariatric patients and "normal" people. She gives adaptations for lap band, gastric bypass, and duodenal switch. She doesn't mention the sleeve, I think because the book was published in 2004, before gastric sleeve surgery became the popular option.
  • JaynaErickson
    JaynaErickson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank u all for ur impute.. I'm just starting out. Ive had my psyc evaluation, a apt with a nutritionest (I have two more apt with her) and attended two meetings so far. My next apt with my doc is in two weeks. I'm thinking hewill schedule me at that time. I seem to be talking myself in and out of this journey.. but there's only so many dam chairs that u can brake before you say enough!!!!!! I'm really glad I found this group. It makes me feel better Athenian can reach out. Good luck to you all. Please keep us posted on ur progress..
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve done in June this year. Yes I do miss being able to eat large meals and lots of what I like. Cooking is different, either a small portion or a large one spolit into portions and frozen. Your attitude towards food does change. I now have to concentrate on getting enough calories and goodness in rather than restricting myself, my body now does that part for me. Yes I still have to make sure I choose the good stuff but that is getting more of an easy habit the longer I go.
  • JaynaErickson
    Options
    Are you guys having problems with all the vitamins that you have to take? Do we need chewables for ever? Are theft easy to find or do u have to order it all off the Internet?
    Thank u for helping me
  • mum_of_one
    Options
    Had my sleeve done on 30th Oct. Never, not once, have I ever questioned my decision or regretted it, not for one second. Lying in pre surgical waiting to be wheeled through I did ask myself if I was doing the right thing but it was only in jest and was nerves speaking to me :)
    In the last week or so, cooking dinner for my family and smelling the lovely smells I have tasted the odd thing, or licked my fingers etc. But its only minute amounts, not chewing a mouthful.
    I do have times when I feel hungry, but I am satisfied so easily and it is never a problem or lasting hunger. If I felt I REALLY, REALLY had to have a particular thing, I would likely taste it and that would be enough, but I havent had an urge that strong as yet.

I bought chewable vitamins and I hate the taste of them. So I have been cutting them up and swallowing instead. I have taken all other vitamins, swallowed without issue, they seem to slide down ok.

Right now I'm not missing any food, its far outweighed by feeling so much better having lost some weight already and fitting some clothes that I havent worn for years. I'm loving the new me so far, but still have a long way to go.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am having a problem with multivitamins. Forceval which I was prescribed made me sick, bariatric advantage chewables gave me migraines and others are too big to swallow. I am on my docs advice back on my kids chewables which are easy to take. I am losing hair though so am having blood tests done in Jan.

I have lost nearly 8 stone since Jan and there is no way I could have done that without surgery so whatever complications it throws at me it has given me a second chance at life. I need to make the most of it.
  • JaynaErickson
    Options
    Have yo tried childrens flinstone vitimans? My doc says two of them will do. There not great but not bad either. I'm looking forward to fitting in some old cloths and just feeling better about myself. Does anyone have a fear of gaining the weight back?
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 16 months ago and it really is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I can still eat the things I used to, but I personally have chosen not to reintroduce some things back into my diet. These are things I really have a hard time controlling, my trigger foods if you will. Again, this is my choice, so I really don't feel deprived. As for eating as much as I used to at one sitting? That's really not an issue for me. Probably because I can eat what I want, and I just choose carefully. After all, you don't go through this whole process just to gain it all back. The changes are lifelong, lifestyle changes, or the weight will come back.

I still have 96 pounds to lose so I'm still on my journey. I'm happy with the progress I've made so far and excited every time I have to buy new clothes because the ones I'm wearing are too big! There is so much positive that I just can't be bothered missing anything I've chosen to give up. Not the ice cream, the cheddar & sour cream chips, and not the portion sizes. Those things just aren't important when compared to how great I feel, how much better my mobility is and how wonderful I'm beginning to look.

Good luck in your journey.
  • skalicky3
    Options
    I was sleeved on July 26th and am down 66 pounds! The first 2 months were really hard but I am so glad I did it! I did have good days as well as bad days but keep the prize in sight. I feel fantastic am finally in a size 12 and still dropping. So keep the faith! :-)
  • skalicky3
    Options
    And a big old ditto to this. There are some foods I need to stay away from. I do not going to go back so the greasy burgers and fries are out. I still need to watch what I eat, but now it is worth it.
  • pwbarton1
    pwbarton1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sleeved on May 23rd, I don't regret it. Most foods are fine in much smaller quantity but some cheeses are difficult. Just find a different recipie for lasagna and don't graze. I think I was a bit frightened the first time I had a small piece of cake at a birthday party. It was far too good but I find that planning your day and perhaps the next will allow the occasional treat without doing violence to your diet.

I thought I was doing fine on vitamins until I had blood work for a physical and got a phone call that afternoon from the office telling me to get on vitamin D PDQ. I thought that a couple of Viactive a day was going to handle it - wrong. So right now I'm on D and B and a multi vitamin that, right now, is chewable Bariatric life style from Healthy and Fit. Previously I was using Centrum silver chewables and have an order in with Unjury to try theirs. I find the sublinguals and chewables at the right time are the best for me.

Keeping in touch with the bariatric medical team for the follow up program and your regular physician is important as they can identify any problems you might encounter. I am excited that my physician has brought me off of two diabetic meds and halved the last one, eliminated two blood pressure meds, halved my main colesterol med and eliminated another after just 6 months. He seems as delighted as I am with the results.