Off the bike winter training

Options
I would love to hear what all of you are doing off the bike this winter to stay in shape. I have been using this time of year as a chance to really add some overall body strength with a combination of 1-2 rides/week, some extra mountain biking, crossfit, and heavy lifting like squats, deadlifts, power cleans, bench and military presses. I have been doing some mobility work and core strengthening as well.

Replies

• jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wow you are really going at it. I have a recumbent exercise bike that I ride 3 or 4 times a week for 60 to 90 minutes. I also just bought a Concept 2 model D rower. Now if I could only get my dog to chase me lol
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I ride in the winter.

Bigger tires, lower psi.

Fun times.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I saw this on BikeRadar & thought of this thread...

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/resistance-training-for-cyclists-35771/

The comments at the bottom of the page are quite amusing though :lol:
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am doing things a little differently this winter. Instead of lifting and doing a bunch of base miles, I'm trying to improve my power at VO2max and get my functional threshold power to be a higher percentage of my power at VO2max.

So far, the results have been impressive (not to mention, enormous calorie burners).
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I ride through the Winter...cycling Rule #9 :-)
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I ride through the Winter...cycling Rule #9 :-)

Exactly. See also rule #5...

Cylink, what kind of workouts are you doing then? Massive interval training?
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I ride in the winter.

Bigger tires, lower psi.

Fun times.

Oh, you're such a badass :wink:

I keep my butt on the spin bike and do tons of strength training. I've been doing some major slacking but it's time to get serious again!
  • dtpss188
    Options
    I'm shedding another 20 lbs. Riding whenever passable/possible, stationary bike at high cadence, elliptical, lifting weights (high reps, little rest time, supersets/complexes), continued core strengthening. Oh yeah, probably some running too...
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    6 months to Ironman Texas. Training starts Monday so I'll be doing a whole lot of swimming, biking (trainer and outdoors), and running.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I am doing things a little differently this winter. Instead of lifting and doing a bunch of base miles, I'm trying to improve my power at VO2max and get my functional threshold power to be a higher percentage of my power at VO2max.

So far, the results have been impressive (not to mention, enormous calorie burners).

I'm guessing that's going to be some pretty solid "sweet spot" and "threshold" sessions... Painful at times, but certainly effective ;)
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options

I'm guessing that's going to be some pretty solid "sweet spot" and "threshold" sessions... Painful at times, but certainly effective ;)

This month:
    Monday/Friday: off or recovery ride
    Tuesday/Thursday: 2x20's at threshold power (255 right now, but I'm testing again Saturday)
    Wednesday: no intervals, just ride, but usually on courses with 5 to 8 minute climbs that make really nice VO2 efforts

Saturday: 30:00 sweet spot (230 watts) followed by 8:00 VO2 (295 watts) intervals until avg power drops by 10% (7 minute recovery to make a nice 15-minute block) (so far, my best is 5 repeats)
    Sunday: 2:00+ ride "how I feel". Aggressive if I'm feeling good; easy if I'm feeling bad.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I saw this on BikeRadar & thought of this thread...

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/resistance-training-for-cyclists-35771/

The comments at the bottom of the page are quite amusing though :lol:

Good article. Thanks
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I don't ride in the winter - I hate frozen hands and face. I like to spin when I can get into class. I just see it as an oppertunity to do something different and shake up the routine. I started TABATA too this winter. That's giving the core a work out.