Does anything really work?

Options
chickybuns
chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
For all of you already mamas out there, I was wondering if anything really helps to start labor? I will be 40 weeks Saturday and really don't want to be induced. I've heard all the things...sex, bouncing on a ball, walking to name a few. I was wondering if you had experience with this and/or if anything really seemed to help. I figured I would try some things regardless. Thanks.

Replies

• Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    First baby- I did EVERYthing (except castor oil) they say to do. We had sex like 4 times in one day once (sorry if TMI)! Walked all the time, bounced on the ball, ate spicy food, drank certain teas, blah blah. Never dilated and had to be induced at 4 days overdue. I think those things can speed things along if your body is ready, so they're worth trying. But at the end of the day, the baby will come when he/she wants!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Honestly I do not think any of it really works. My first was a week early and I felt fine through the whole pregnancy I did walk a lot about 3 weeks prior to birth but not sure that it actually worked. Wouldn't hurt to try but I went into labor on my own after eating dinner at applebees you maybe could try that :laugh:
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I went for a three mile walk and that's when my contractions really started getting going (but I was coaching softball for 2 hours before that and had been doing silly things like jumping jacks and lunges to motivate my silly 6th graders - so it may have been a combo of strenous activity). Honestly, looking back I should have just slept and let baby work on his own time (I say that full well knowing when this baby is close I'll probably do it all over again! LOL). Good luck!
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, when your baby is ready to come, they will come, but there are some natural ways to help induce labor. Make sure that before using any herbs to consult with your practitioner, and castor oil is rarely reccomended. Sex was always my go- to labor inducer. I went into labor with my second and third within an hour of sex. There are prostaglndins in semen that soften the cervix. Good luck. I know, that the waiting game sucks, but remember, your babies lungs are brain continue to develop until birth, so your baby will come when that are all done cooking!
  • chickybuns
    Options
    I'm not in a big hurry, just urging him to come before I have to be induced. I will start doing some of these things more frequently, now that I only have one more day of work. Hopefully it wil help, I still have about 10 days before they will want to schedule an induction...so there is still time :)
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I ate a LOT of pineapples at the end of my pregnancy. Pineapples are suppose to soften the cervix. Mine was 90% soften when I went to get induced and I started dilating more. I was at a 1cm most of the time after 36wks and when I went to the dr to get induced I got to a 2.5-3cm, I did a lot of walking and pineapples. lol. I also worked on my feet all day up until 39wks, and my job required a lot of up and down on the stairs and lifting. NOTHING WORKED, but I am sure had I not gotten induced for medical reasons, I would have gone on my own within a week. My cervix progressed very fast with pitocin so she told me that i would have gone on my own soon. She also mentioned that if I have another baby and I get into labor to rush to the hospital cause I dilate very fast. I am hoping to go on my own. After I am full term, I will start doing A LOT of things to kick start it. good luck!!!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I don't think so.

I tried so many things!

Walking, sex, pineapple, spicy food, exercise ball, red raspberry tea ... My husband and I even went for nightly car rides down the bumpiest dirt roads we could find. I also went over speed bumps without slowing down!

I was still induced at 41w1d. I wasn't dilated at all the day before the induction.

What will be will be. Baby's in the driver's seat now :)

Still have fun trying though!!!
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    Off topic, but at this moment my co-worker is 4 centimeters and 80% and just workin' away....
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I tried the castor oil and the raspberry leaf tea w the midwives permission.. also walked a lot went to the mall everyday since it was freezing outside, walk the stairs, use the elliptical to get the baby out. at 39 weeks she stripped the membrane. but no luck.. i went 7 days over my due date and got induced. I wished i waited at least another few days because there was no medical urgency. My midwife kept pressuring me and convinced me my son will be HUGE. i was scared I'd be pushing out a 10lb baby. he turned out to be an average 7lbs 13oz.. Am guessing she just wanted one of her patience off the list considering he was born a week before christmas.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I sat on the yoga ball for two days and ate a plateful of Buffalo Wild Wings Jamaican Jerk and Asian Zing wings...water broke in the middle of dinner :smile:
  • chickybuns
    Options
    Well I read that the average spontaneous labor for a FTM is 41w1d, so that should be right before induction. Thanks for the comments ladies...I really appreciate it. He could just want to be a Thanksgiving baby :)
  • JulaMonster
    JulaMonster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! Today is my due date. I'm scheduled for an NST and ultrasound for next Wednesday and we'll go from there. Unfortunately, because I'm trying for a VBAC, I can't have a 'typical' induction (increases risk of uterine rupture), so I have to go on my own or it's a repeat c/s for me :( (Well, if my cervix is favorable, they can do a foley catheter induction, but my cervix has to cooperate for that to be an option. Currently 1cm dilated and not effaced at all). My midwives have reiterated that labor is strictly hormonal. Walking, while it's good for you, won't start labor. It might help things pick up if it has started on its own, but walking itself won't start labor. Sex is best, as there are prostoglandins in semen that help soften the cervix (cydatek is the synthetic drug often used in inductions before pitocin to ripen the cervix), and oxytocin is released when you orgasm (pitocin, the main induction drug, is a synthetic version of oxytocin). Nipple stimulation also releases oxytocin, though it takes a LOT of stimulation to cause a contraction. I asked about using a breast pump, which will definitely get contractions going, but if the cervix isn't favorable or if labor hasn't already started on its own, they'll just be braxton hicks contractions, and you have to be careful to stop stimulating the nipples during a contraction, or the contraction can be very prolonged. So even with natural releases of these hormones, bottom line is if baby and cervix are not ready, they won't do anything productive for you. Bummer, I know.

At my appointment yesterday, baby was head down but very high, she wasn't on my cervix at all, and my midwife had difficulty checking my cervix because of it. Kinda discouraged by that, but hope is not lost yet! She recommended sitting on the edge of my seat and keeping my knees apart, sitting on an exercise ball, doing lunges, wiggling my hips (think belly dancing, LOL!), anything to help baby get down in there (as baby's head pressing on the cervix helps ripen the cervix). She could feel that my pelvis has plenty of room for baby, so there's no physiological reason she could tell for why baby isn't down.

And even though they're not hormone-related, I've been drinking raspberry leaf tea every day for weeks, and taking evening primrose oil for a couple weeks now. I'm a fan of herbal medicine, even if the evidence for its effectiveness is largely anecdotal. I'll try anything (except castor oil... that just sounds nasty) ;) Good luck to you!!!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Make plans.

I was 38w pregnant with my son, and we decided to plan a movie night the following weekend (when I turned over to 39w). Turns out I couldn't make it because I'd had a baby that Thursday morning.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant with my first, but three people who recently had babies have told me that they went into labor within hours after having sex, so maybe there's something to that after all :-)
  • final10
    final10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Did anyone mention acupuncture? Specifically done to induce labor? I did it with my 3rd, it takes 24 to 48 hours. I did it Monday morning and by Wednesday afternoon I had my baby in my fastest, easiest labor. Another mom about knocked me down at the birth center by opening the door for me b/c waiting to get the name of my acupuncturist, she was 40+ weeks and couldn't go over any more days because then she wouldn't be allowed to deliver there. She went in Wednesday for acupuncture and on Friday morning when I took my baby in for her 2 day visit she had just had her baby and invited me in her room to show me her 10lb, 41 week boy.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym on my due date and walked on the treadmill at the highest speed my achy hips could handle, and while I got some contractions going, it didn't do anything (they died down shortly after I got home).

I agree with JulaMonster that it is hormonal. I knew for sure at 40w2d that it was "the day" based on how out of whack I was hormonally (I felt like I had major PMS x a million), and sure enough the bloody show started that night, then went into labour/delivered baby the next day.

I understand wanting to go on your own before being induced, but baby will arrive when he's ready! If there's no medical reason for inducing on the date they've selected for you, would your doctor be open to waiting a few more days to see if you go on your own? (Here it's 41w3d before they schedule anything).
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym on my due date and walked on the treadmill at the highest speed my achy hips could handle, and while I got some contractions going, it didn't do anything (they died down shortly after I got home).

I agree with JulaMonster that it is hormonal. I knew for sure at 40w2d that it was "the day" based on how out of whack I was hormonally (I felt like I had major PMS x a million), and sure enough the bloody show started that night, then went into labour/delivered baby the next day.

I understand wanting to go on your own before being induced, but baby will arrive when he's ready! If there's no medical reason for inducing on the date they've selected for you, would your doctor be open to waiting a few more days to see if you go on your own? (Here it's 41w3d before they schedule anything).

^Totally agreed!

I had a doctor's appointment on a Tuesday afternoon, then on Wednesday I was having minor contractions all day (nothing painful or consistent, so I assumed Braxton-Hicks), and I lost my mucous plug. I went into labor late that night and had my son on Thursday morning. Sometimes the doctor checking you gets things going, but I shouldn't have ignored my instincts all day Wednesday that something was up, especially because I worked right up until I went into labor!