Chest Press and weight bench height

Options
yecatsml
yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
I just started 5x5 last night and in trying to do the chest press, my feet hang off the ground when I lay flat on the bench. I'm 5'5" but have shorter legs. I tried putting blocks under my feet but it seemed like I had to put some pretty tall ones down before I felt like I could really press through my upper back and not worry about my lower back arching. Any other suggestions? Should your thighs be parallel with the ground when chest pressing?

I'm thrilled to have actually started. I did lots of reps/sets with just the bar and lighter weight to get the form down first.

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I hope someone answers this for you as I'm 5' 10" and have lanky legs, lol but I have seen a small lady at my gym stack weight plates on the floor to put her feet on. I don't think you have to have thighs parallel with the floor as long as your feet are firmly flat on the floor and you can push yourself down on the bench :smile:
  • All_Out_Attack
    Options
    ((edit - double posted duh!))
  • All_Out_Attack
    Options
    Are you sure your form is correct? Your shoulders should be pressed into the bench, back arched, hips down, and heels on the floor. I'm not sure how much difference your height should make since I'm over 5'9" so haven't run into this issue. There are other girls in my gym that are shorter than me and haven't seen that problem either, but I'll have to be more aware of it next time I go.

Here's a picture of "proper" bench form:
    http://www.powerliftingab.com/Bench.jpg
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I use plastic soda crates under my feet. The kind that 20 oz bottles are stacked in at the stores. My husband works for Pepsi, so we end up accumulating those crates.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I just stack plates on the floor....works fine.
  • yecatsml
    Options
    Are you sure your form is correct? Your shoulders should be pressed into the bench, back arched, hips down, and heels on the floor. I'm not sure how much difference your height should make since I'm over 5'9" so haven't run into this issue. There are other girls in my gym that are shorter than me and haven't seen that problem either, but I'll have to be more aware of it next time I go.

Here's a picture of "proper" bench form:
    http://www.powerliftingab.com/Bench.jpg

Yep - I am correct in form, I just feel like to be able to push my shoulders into the bench I end up on my tip toes because I can't get my whole foot flat. The stacks of books helped, and good to know about the soda crates! I think I have some 1/2 height milk crates I may try. I felt like during the set I was thinking more about my lower body as it was not comfortable than upper, which is not good!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I put an aerobic step under my feet and that seems to work fine
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and if I don't stack plates I can't get my back to stay flat. Of course I have a big butt too so that causes issues also. :)
    Usually two plates is enough, but I like the idea of using the step bench, I may try that next time.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    i've seen small girls stack plates on the ground. I'm tall so I don't have this issue..
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I just stack plates on the floor....works fine.
    I'm 4' 10 1/2", so I'm pretty damned short. This is what I do and it works great.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Your back is supposed to arch. But yeah, use plates.
  • yecatsml
    Options
    The aerobic step bench worked perfect!
  • McAlyna
    McAlyna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" but I don't use anything. I seem to touch the floor just fine.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I don't use anything either I am 5 foot 5 and I also arch my back as I am lifting pretty heavy now. (this really helps get that lift going, watch the powerlifters, quite scary but a good technique for when you get over 50kg/110lbs)