Starting Late - Need Support

Options
morschjodo
morschjodo Posts: 22 Member
I had my little guy 7 months ago @ 28 weeks. I was down to my pp weight almost right away (he was only 1lb 5oz.) but the 92 days in the NICU took a toll then transitioning to home and now to work I'm up 20ish lbs. I am starting to log my food again, and looking in to fitting in some exercise at home maybe on DVD. I don't BF but I do pump 4 times a day for about 24 oz. Does anyone know if it matters whether you pump or breastfeed for the calories you add?

Replies

• Erin1712
    Erin1712 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding or pumping is essentially the same. You are still producing milk. I can`t remember if you add 300 or 500 calories daily. Good luck with your son. And if you feel a drop in your supply up your calories a bit. And good for you for pumping that much I have never gotten more than 5 oz!
  • joslin2005
    Options
    Breastfeeding and pumping takes the same amount of calories. You body burns calories producing the milk. Your calorie burn comes from the making of the milk.
  • tararaem
    tararaem Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It depends on how often you are nursing/pumping. If you add "breastfeeding" as a food to your log it will give you several options, chose the one that most closely describes your situation and it will add negative calories for you.