Metformin

Options
Hey everyone, I am new here, so I apologize for the topic as it has probably been covered a thousand times.

Has anyone seen any weight loss esults while using Metformin? I know the other values of it are beneficial for women with PCOS, but in regards specifically to pcos, has it helped you at all? What was your dosage? I am taking 500 x3 per day and it just makes me feel like crap so far.

Thanks!

Replies

• truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I am taking 500mg BID and well to be honest sometimes I forget one dose or the other. In any case I personally haven't seen any benefits with it other than bringing my insulin resistance down. I have heard from others that it helps as an apatite suppressant and that they don't eat as much as they use too. I didn't really notice that. I did however notice that when I increase my water intake I don't eat as much and that has helped with weight loss
  • Jeanlk4
    Jeanlk4 Posts: 18
    Options
    I have heard of the appetite suppressant too but it definitely hasn't done that for me yet either!

Our of curiosity, what is BID?
  • truddy6647
    Options
    sorry I'm a certified Medical assistant and just get in the habit of using abrv. BID is 2xs a day.

QD= once daily
    Qam= every am
    BID= twice daily
    TID= three times a day
    just to name a few
  • healthyMSk
    healthyMSk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm only on 500 once a day & have lost over 20lbs. I tried it years ago with no results except being sick all the time.
    I think the weight loss has more to do with I was very careful from day one not to eat any simple carbs because I wanted to avoid the side effects. I have had two back to back cycles since starting it which is beyond rare for me.
  • truddy6647
    Options
    wow haven't had that. My cycles are still all messed up, I've been on this last cycle for over 3 months
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Metformin will help with weight loss in this way: When you are insulin resistant your insulin (think of it as the key to unlocking your cells and letting glucose in) does not work properly. This means that if you eat carbs - good OR bad, you will have too much insulin and too much glucose floating around in your system. Do you know what glucose turns to when it's not used? Fat.

So, by making your body more sensitive to the insulin you will be decreasing the amount of glucose just floating around and turning to fat. It will normalize your blood sugar so that weight loss is POSSIBLE. If you are sitting around eating crap and not exercising:
    1. You will have a horrible belly ache
    2. You will not lose weight
    3. You can gain weight just as easily.

Good luck. Im cheering for you!
  • Angieh0811
    Angieh0811 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Metformin can cause a dificiency in B vitamins and B is very important for those of us with PCOS so just make sure you are taking a good B vitamin. Good Luck
  • Jeanlk4
    Jeanlk4 Posts: 18
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys, that really helps.

I have heard about the vitamin deficiency part and just take a daily vitamin for that.

It makes more sense now. Metformin isn't a weight loss tool, but is almost just a side effect of what metformin really does, which is helping your insulin. Am I sort of on track here?

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It's really helpful to see others with PCOS and having successful journeys. :-)
  • truddy6647
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys, that really helps.

I have heard about the vitamin deficiency part and just take a daily vitamin for that.

It makes more sense now. Metformin isn't a weight loss tool, but is almost just a side effect of what metformin really does, which is helping your insulin. Am I sort of on track here?

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It's really helpful to see others with PCOS and having successful journeys. :-)

Yes I would say you are on track. and yes I agree it is helpful to see others with PCOS and having success in their journeys
  • Boombeana
    Boombeana Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im new here. I saw your post and wanted to share my Metformin experience.

I was first diagnosed in 2005. But in 2007-2008, I was refered to an endocronologist and she prescribed Metformin.

I lost 10lbs in 7 days. She immediately changed my dosage. I gained approx 1 lbs a day for about 2 weeks. The Dr. changed my prescription again and prescribed the generic brand. I was miserable the whole time. I couldn't eat. Even whole wheat bread was going through me like water. I felt weak. I stopped taking it 6 mths after i started it and my body has never been the same.
  • PurpleCherry00
    PurpleCherry00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hiya. I've been on Metformin from May now, and has had really heavy period, up until end of Sept, then it disappeared and haven't had one since end of Sept.

I don't think I'm pregnant, but I'm not entirely sure, should I go to the doctor about the sudden lack of period and should I do a pregnancy test?

Thanks for any advice

Kim xxx
  • dbtman
    dbtman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think you should definitely take a test and call the doctor. After having periods every month, it doesn't seem right that they would stop all of a sudden.

Good luck.
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Metformin hasn't helped me with weight loss, but it does seem to help me not gain weight as quickly. Also, I find I have more energy and stamina on it, I guess because my muscles can use glucose as energy instead of not being able to. I have had no stomach troubles on it at all. But I take a small dose: only 500 mg per day.
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Never had results before, except the upset stomach. Doctor has put me back on it and only doing 500mg a day. And it has my stomach tore up lol. Hopefully it will work itself out. Going to try to stick with it this time.
  • mk_hammer
    Options
    Hi. I've been on Metformin for about 2 years now, and I've lost about 60 lbs (some of it was before Metformin, though). I'm not sure how much the Metformin has helped my weight loss, but the doctor seems to think it's helped. I do know that it's been easier for me to stick to a healthy eating plan since I've been on it.

It can cause upset stomach, though, so make sure you take it WITH food. I'm on 500 mg 2x per day, so I take it with breakfast and dinner.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to add me if you want to follow and encourage each other! :smile:
  • mrswaite08
    mrswaite08 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been on metformin since September of this year. I have not lost any additional weight since I lost 30 lbs over the summer, but I have not gained any weight back either. (kind of lost my motivation mid October) I was having 100 day cycles and my last one was 31 days & I just saw a positive ovulation predictor yesterday, so I'm on my way to having a cycle that is less than 35 days again. So the metformin is working. I did just start with a low amylose (no root veggies, sugar, wheat, oats, rice, bananas or corn). It seems do able, I was able to eat all day long & stayed under my calorie goal. So hopefully I see some weight loss from this.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm on 500 mg per day, extended-release. If you're taking it with a full meal and full glass of water and still having stomach issues, ask your doctor if you can take the extended-release. I take it right after dinner, and I've never had any issues.

It doesn't help with weight loss, other than making sure your body functions as it's supposed to. So, in a way, it does help because insulin reistance can stall weight loss and/or make you gain weight. I just mean it isn't a diet pill, which I'm sure you know. You still have to eat right and exercise. I'm losing about 1.5 - 1.8 pounds per week on it, which is way better than 0.

I've noticed that if I eat too many carbs/too much sugar, I'm STARVING the next day. It feels just like it did before I started taking metformin. Metformin is just a tool; I still have to eat correctly. Otherwise, my insulin gets overwhelmed by all the glucose and it's just like it was in the "before" days. My doctor warned me that would happen, but I guess I had to see for myself. I'll never do that again. I was miserable. :-P