The cons of nursing that bad?

Options
I am trying to make a decision once and for all about my career. I have been considering nursing, but wonder how current nurses feel about these "cons" that I have read about. Are they a big deal to you? Have you been able to avoid the issues from gaining skills or working in different settings?

~back problems from dealing with obese patients
~getting yelled at by docs and pt families...really? That doesn't happen often does it?
~"nurses eat their young" coupled with how a lot of new grads don't feel 100% confident in themselves as nurses
~I also read that moving around from specialty to specialty is not as easy as it used to be?

Because of the high stress aspect, I considered sonography. But I think I already have carpel tunnel. I have also considered radiation therapy, and I might do that although I am aware that the programs might be even more competitive than nursing AND there are less jobs than nursing.

I am someone who gets confident in myself and my skills with time, competency, and a little encouragement. I don't think I would want to work on the highest stress jobs very long, but feel its necessary that I would do so in order to be a competent nurse.

So all in all I am asking, is are the positives of nursing far outweighing the negatives?

positives:

~alleviating suffering
~possibly flexible scheduling
~different settings available
~lots of jobs
~adequate pay (subjective)

negatives:

~mess ups are noticed but doing well isn't always
~hard on the body
~lack of respect among nurses, docs, or patients
~some unsafe situations
~feeling like you are always behind

I wish I could just decide for sure and know that I would at least reasonably like my career. Maybe you all could shed some light? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Romans624
    Options
    Honestly, the main thing I am worried about is making mistakes or not being amazing at it. I would have a hard time being the one to go fix a patient that is about to die, and either not know something or how to do something. If nursing school prepares you for that (you get out what you put in), then I think I should be fine... but I can't bear the thought of not being excellent at something that has so much at stake.

Edit to add: and how many new nurses are really excellent? Is it possible to be so in all required senses right out of school? How important is it for that first or second work crew that you work with to "have your back" and "support you"/ like you?
  • circuspixie
    Options
    tough call. I'm a nurse. I've worked lots of different jobs. And for me- I know I am a nurse at heart- however the JOB of nursing isn't always the best match for a person.

I don't want to bash nursing on a whole- so I won't post too much here, but feel free to add me on &/or message me. :)

~Tanya, aka CircusPixie~
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    You don't go into nursing for the "pros". You go into to nursing for the career. It is a physical and mentally demanding job.

My opinions:

~back problems from dealing with obese patients
    You learn proper body mechanics and never move a patient without asking for help. Most facilities offer devices to aide in moving a patient. I was lucky, never had more than a minor back ache.

~getting yelled at by docs and pt families...really? That doesn't happen often does it?
    Yes it happens. Deal with it. Families are terrified and feel helpless. You are the nearest, and most available target. If you look at it that way, it's much easier to deal with the families. And truthfully it is a rare occurrence that a family will lash out. . Most Docs are pretty decent people, this has never been a problem. If you treat them with respect, it is usually reciprocated.

~"nurses eat their young" coupled with how a lot of new grads don't feel 100% confident in themselves as nurses
    I have never met, or precepted a new grad who was 100% confident in her/himself. Who would be? {including myself, I was terrified!!} Orientation can last 6-8 weeks or longer, until they feel you are ready to go on your own. And there is always someone close by to ask questions. And in 20+ years , I can count on less than one hand, the amount of nurses who did not like to help out, and mentor a new grad.

~I also read that moving around from specialty to specialty is not as easy as it used to be?
    This I cannot give an opinion. I started out as a new grad in ICU, and never left.
  • locoducky
    locoducky Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with alot that has been said above. The families yelling at the nurses depends some on the nurse (if a family doesn't perceive the nurse as caring then they may get even more upset than the stressful situation had already brought on), depends on the family (some families just are like that), but mostly depends on frustration and worry. Same goes with a patient yelling, a patient is more likely to get upset when in pain. I have had patient's families flat out ask for someone else to put in an IV, I try very hard to not take it personally, some people just really don't like dealing with pain. I really haven't had many families yell at me and really only had one or two patient's yell at me.

As for the nurses eating their young. I have only met 2 nurses that I would say are this way. The ones that are really hard on students or new nurses. This is a chance to step up your game and learn from them. On the other hand, I have a couple of coworkers that are awesome and really helpful in teaching. They understand that I am not confident but that I am growing. As long as I grow instead of just staying at the level I am at, they understand. And I have only had 1 provider treat me like I don't know enough, alot of providers really like to teach also. Keep in mind, the nurses and providers will have times where they are really just swamped and it may come off as rude or angry. Although (and I would like other nurse's opinions), I have heard that surgeons are the ones that tend to treat nurses the worst. Anyone else dealt with this?

Nursing has to be right for you and unfortunately I don't know if a pros and cons list will say whether it is or not. Take the 12 hour shifts, if you had ever asked me before if I would want to work a 12 hour shift overnight, I would have said no. But actually, I love it! I love helping others. I love having a patient sigh a sigh of relief because I was able to help them be more comfortable or have more dignity, or just explain what to expect so the fear of the unknown isn't so bad. And I have had more patients thank me (in the 6 months I have been here) than I have yell at me. I even got a thank you card from my charge nurse for good patient care because a patient and family pointed out by name the kind nurses. And I personally love the sciency part of it too. Thinking about what a med will do in a person's body and what you should look for. I can't wait for the day that I feel like a competent nurse, but until then, I will focus on how I am growing.

Good luck with your decision!