Sugar Alcohol

Options
Italian_Buju
Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
I bought a new protein bar today. It has sugar alcohol in it. It has been maybe 16 years since I ate anything with sugar alcohol and am having a hard time remembering what the rule is for net carbs with it. The internet is no help, all different answers, so I thought I would ask here.

Do you subtract the fiber AND sugar alcohol from the carb count when taking insulin or just the fiber??

Replies

• espirene
    Options
    Just the fiber when it's over 5 grams. Subtract fiber from carb count.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    If the fiber is over five, or the sugar alcohol?
  • Saucy_Yoda
    Saucy_Yoda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There's different ways to do this. I subtract all fiber from carbs. It works well for me! Other people subtract half to calculate net carbs, or only if over 5 grams of fiber.

Sugar alcohol is the same. Some people ignore it. Others subtract it from carbs. Others follow the if sugar alcohol is over 5 g, subtract half of it from carbs rule. Sugar alcohol does have some effect on blood sugar, but not as much as other types of carbohydrates. Experiment a little with sugar alcohol's effect on your blood sugar, so that you can get a more accurate, customized answer.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Ok, called my nutritionist this morning, lol

She said to subtract all fiber, over 5 grams or not

and to subtract HALF the number of sugar alcohol, because it has more effect on blood sugar than artificial sweetener, but not near as much as actual carbs

I try not to bug her between visits, but I was lost.....