Back Flexibility

Weebs628
Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
Does anyone have any tips or stretches to gain more flexibility in the back? I feel like whenever we do a cambre back in class, I can't go very far. This one girl in there (granted, she 14, I'm 25) pretty much bends so far back her body is level with the barre. It looks so beautiful! I want to do that! I also notice it when I sit in my splits (one leg in front, one behind) I can't keep my body upright. I'm thinking that working this would also help my arabesque. Or maybe I just need to develop those muscles more. Thoughts?

Replies

• TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    I ran into that too. I'm sure it just takes practice. It's almost like my stupid vertebrae are in the way and it locks. Up and over!!
  • katja_sifaka
    katja_sifaka Posts: 3 Member
    Standing facing away from a wall and walking your hands own the wall into a back bend then back up again is good for back flexibility. Keep in mind that you always want to be lengthening the back and putting space between the vertebrae or you'll just get stuck. Another good one, especially for uper back is to face a wall and put yuor hands on it, a bit above your head level and sink into the wall tryng to reach your armpits to the wall but, again continually stretching the back and putting space between the vertebrae. When your arms are flat against the wall you can start with your hands lower a nd make a more profound bend. eventually you can start walking your feet towards the wall to deepen it further.

Once walking your backbend to the floor is easy, try tying each end of a rope to a railing to make a loop, standing inside it and then using it to support you as you work on going into backbends from standing. When you have your hands on the floor wlak the in towards your feet while trying arch your back higher and with as even a curve as possible.
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Standing facing away from a wall and walking your hands own the wall into a back bend then back up again is good for back flexibility. Keep in mind that you always want to be lengthening the back and putting space between the vertebrae or you'll just get stuck. Another good one, especially for uper back is to face a wall and put yuor hands on it, a bit above your head level and sink into the wall tryng to reach your armpits to the wall but, again continually stretching the back and putting space between the vertebrae. When your arms are flat against the wall you can start with your hands lower a nd make a more profound bend. eventually you can start walking your feet towards the wall to deepen it further.

Once walking your backbend to the floor is easy, try tying each end of a rope to a railing to make a loop, standing inside it and then using it to support you as you work on going into backbends from standing. When you have your hands on the floor wlak the in towards your feet while trying arch your back higher and with as even a curve as possible.

^^ This!!

I was going to suggest walking back bends too! Yoga helps me as well. Stretching the back muscles out both forward and back ward in some of the hatha poses had limbered me up a bit. I am nowhere near ready for a cambre back or an arabesque ... but I will get back to it someday ... right now, I'm just working on flexibility.

Also, as childish as it sounds, I lift from the floor into a back bend to limber up as well. This helps me work on stretching out those back muscles AND it helps me to build balance and strength in my arms.

Try some or all of these things at home on days you dont have class. Push yourself to stretch a little more or a little longer each week and eventually you'll be even with the barre too!