What did you say to me?!?! ):0 11/19

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Ok, this is a mental challenge! This week or on Thursday thru the weekend we may experience stress with family, friends...you folks who get on your nerves!! Or you may experience anxiety to get all the cooking and cleaning done and expect perfection of self and others.
If the turkey is not a perfectly almond brown...you have a meltdown.
Bobby ate the crab dip even though you told HIM 3 TIMES "there is crab in there don't eat it" now his face is swollen like a blow fish and you all have to race to the ER!!!!
Uncle Joe is a little...no he is a lot drunk and causing a scene.
For some they may be so bored because everyone is sitting with hands folded doing nothing...sigh!

Try not to expect perfection. People are people are people and we cannot change them only ourselves and how we REACT to them. This is a time to be thankful for at least one thing!
Focus on the goal of the event...be thankful for something! Write it down, meditate on it or pray on it. Perfection and high expectations will make for a big fall.

If you get frustrated go to a quiet place even if for just 2 min and say to yourself "I can do this because this is not forever and only momentary" Think again on the reasons you are thankful and go back in there. YOUR routine will return soon.

Challenge: Make sure as a MFPer said yesterday you find ways to cope in a healthy way.

Peace,
WW

Replies

• BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    thank you, i needed this; though my stress is not from thanksgiving I still needed to hear it!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Hoping for a good one with my parents since it will probably be my last as next year Jr will be in the picture and I will be non existent
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    AWESOME.
  • kriskerans
    kriskerans Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanking and praying for everyone, there are so many homeless, its not my year to have everyone at my house so not cooking...
    Going to feed the thousands @ Dinner in the Park, that should keep me very busy, and walking from parking lot, through park, standing and serving, and walking back, should help if I decide to go eat out. Bless you all, You are amazing, Terific, Inspiring...
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Thanking and praying for everyone, there are so many homeless, its not my year to have everyone at my house so not cooking...
    Going to feed the thousands @ Dinner in the Park, that should keep me very busy, and walking from parking lot, through park, standing and serving, and walking back, should help if I decide to go eat out. Bless you all, You are amazing, Terific, Inspiring...

YOU are amazing!
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

YOU are amazing!

I second that!
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I really like this post because I tend to stress eat, especially around the holidays. I think what I'm going to challenge myself to do when things get crazy and I'm feeling a little stressed out by the extended family, or more than likely my mother, is go take a walk or play with my younger cousins outside as opposed to grabbing an extra dessert or pouring another glass of wine. It is definitely a healthier option and one that I know I will appreciate myself for making in the long run.

I hope that everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving and enjoys spending time with friends and family this week. :smile:
  • billydlyon
    Options
    I was swimming this morning, and today i was doing time trials, timing my speed at different distances to measure progress. an older woman that is a regular at the pool came into my lane in the middle of my time trial. I have seen her many times before, shared a lane with her before, and spoken with her many times, she is a very sweet old lady. Today, however, i found myself getting upset that "she was in my way"... when i finished my laps she asked if she could share the lane with me. I said yes, of course, but that is not what i was thinking. She said "you are so fast, i do not want to get in your way." I laughed and explained it was time trial day etc... she laughed and said she swims just to stay flexible. It made me think of how i need to remain flexible during the holiday season with my loved ones and strangers too.

I smiled at her and said "so do I." :wink:
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Aggie...EXCELLENT plan! YOU will be the 'cool' adult!

Billy...we all are a 'work in progress' and learning constantly! I am so happy you shared!
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am learning to accept imperfect progress as an achievement. I may not be where I want to be but I am not where I used to be. Today I apologized to someone for my bad attitude that I felt justified to have. I have to say a weight has been lifted. Once I apologized I was able to recognize all the wonderful qualities about the person I was so angry with. I even pointed out all the things I was so thankful to her for.