new to crossfit and have a diet question

Options
scottc561
scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
I just finished my 2nd week of the beginner classes. I have seen alot of improvement since I started. My main goal is to lose weight at this time. Anyways my coach recommended me to try the paleo diet. Well the last couple of days I did a strict diet of meat, vegis and nuts while drinking lots of water. Today after 2 days of this diet I was soo tired and had no energy, I beleive due to the fact my glucos levels were empty from no to very low carbs the last couple of days.

Do you guys recommend this diet and if so how do you get past this extreme weakness from no carbs and working out so hard? I'm pretty discouraged with todays workout, as I have to walk a lot of the running portion and felt very weak. My last workout on thursday nite I felt great, did great and had lot more energy because I had carbs during the day.

Replies

• christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    add complex carbs. You can have some sweet potatoes, they are paleo friendly.
  • blinkinglight
    Options
    What you're feeling is totally normal. Your body is used to running on carbs/sugar for energy. It's transitioning to using fat for energy. I felt this way for the first week or two of paleo. Paleo does NOT have to be low carb though, eat more sweet potatoes and squash. Your energy will come back, stick with it. ;)
  • scottc561
    Options
    i'm also debating doing a cycle where everyother day doing paleo and the other days doing regular diets. I find it hard to imagine ever having a lot of energy doing the paleo, but maybe I just need to adjust idk.

Thanks, ill try the sweet potatoes
  • bowmab21
    bowmab21 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Paleo works because paleo foods have less calories then processed foods. Fewer cals consumed than burned, equals weight loss. Make sure you are still eating enough Cals to train intensely, and you should be fine.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Paleo works because paleo foods have less calories then processed foods. Fewer cals consumed than burned, equals weight loss. Make sure you are still eating enough Cals to train intensely, and you should be fine.

i eat the same amount of paleo calories as i did "regular" calories... but the difference is my body feels better, i don't have energy spikes and crashes, and i have realized that i felt like crap a lot of the time before due to food sensitivities i learned i had while eating paleo. i don't think alternating days will allow you the full benefits of paleo eating.

i eat moderate carb, getting most of my carbs in after my WOD to help rebuild my muscles (from sweet potato usually.) throughout the rest of the day i get carbs from starchy veggies such as squash, beets, carrots, mashed cauliflower, or recipes using coconut flour. once you get over the hump of your body adjusting to the clean diet your energy should be a lot better! your body needs to "detox" depending on how much processed food you ate before... good luck!
  • scottc561
    Options
    thanks for the help, im thinking about going full on paleo, just concerned with what to eat everyday. i need to research more into it before hand so i can be ready.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i eat about 2000 cal a day... my shopping list staples are:
    eggs
    bacon
    chicken thigh (higher fat- better taste)
    beef of sort (grassfed if its on sale)
    maybe some pork or buffalo...
    coconut oil
    coconut flakes
    coconut milk (full fat!)
    greek yogurt (i eat primal so limited dairy is OK)
    macadamia nuts or almonds
    spaghetti squash
    sweet potato
    berries (sale or frozen)
    VEGGIES lots- whatever is on sale- im not sure where you live, but farmers markets or Sprouts supermarket are cheapest for veggies in san diego...
    i buy other things... it just depends what is on sale.

i work a ton, so usually i make a big old batch of something in the crock pot- beef stew, curry, bean-free chili, and portion it out for the week... super easy!

some good sites to check if you want to get some recipes are:
    www.paleomg.com
    http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/
    http://www.health-bent.com/
  • lafalot30
    Options
    Two tips - first don't worry about what to eat, just ditch all grains. Second, if it has a label don't eat it. That leaves fresh whole foods, meat, eggs, cheese, some fruit (be careful with the fruit if you are losing weight - too much can slow you down). It really is a man's lifestyle, if you have a bbq and a knife, you don't really need much else.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

too frickin' funny.

if you're not eating paleo you're not doing crossfit right.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Scott,
    First of all, give yourself a break. You are taking action in your life and change is not easy. It takes years to get out of shape and to gain unwanted pounds. To be in your first weeks of CrossFit and getting frustrated with the diet, how you feel and not being able to do WOD's without walking a little will only make you want to stop what can be an incredible journey. I think that a paleo diet is a great thing to aspire to but you know the old saying, it takes 21 days to set a new habit. Trying to change too many habits at the same time can set us up for failure. What I see all the time is that someone is eating clean and exercising regularly when they first start CrossFit, then they make a little slip and all of those good habits get derailed. Here are some things that worked for me.

1. Just do CrossFit. Get consistent in going to the gym and working out. That's a huge step. You will get better in the beginning, even without much dietary intervention. Once you are in the routine, you can approach your diet.

2. Find a good source of information: Advice from our CF instructors, Internet forms and blogs can be helpful, but also all over the place with conflicting ideas. Having a consolidated source of quality information is very valuable. There are 2 books about the paleo diet that CrossFitters treat like religious scripture. The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson and The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. The Primal Blueprint is a less strict version of paleo and is written in more layman's terms. The Paleo Solution is more strict and a little geekier. If you really like almost academic detail, go with The Paleo Solution. However, as a CrossFit coach, I recommend The Primal Blueprint to most new clients as it is an easier read and a more manageable approach to eating. That said, you can't go wrong with either one.

3. Pick one meal and get it right: trying to change all 3 major meals from day one is tough. Just start with breakfast. One of the above books will give you some guidelines.

I hope this helps, Scott. Congratulations on getting started!
  • scottc561
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone. I especially appreciate the suggestion to take it slow before I dive head first into the diet while still learning crossfit. I think this will help me as this time of the year is extremely difficult for me to diet anyways with all the stuff we have going on. I've only been doing crossfit for about 3 weeks now and I love it. I'm going to keep researching the diet and read one of those books. In the near future I'll jump into the diet and give it 30 days to see how I feel. My coach says it takes 30 days to really feel better and I hope I get to feel better and lose some weight.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    About five months after starting Crossfit, I started researching Paleo. It has worked well for me. I'm actually more Primal. It's a little less restrictive than Paleo, so it was a good place for me to get started. I recommend Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint: 21-Day Challenge. Good luck on your journey!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I try to do zone/mediterranean. I don't want to restrict myself too much by being Paleo. My problem is wine.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I try to do zone/mediterranean. I don't want to restrict myself too much by being Paleo. My problem is wine.

i thought wine was the SOLUTION to problems?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options

i thought wine was the SOLUTION to problems?

Most of the time :drinker:
  • ricestephanie11
    ricestephanie11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Two tips - first don't worry about what to eat, just ditch all grains. Second, if it has a label don't eat it. That leaves fresh whole foods, meat, eggs, cheese, some fruit (be careful with the fruit if you are losing weight - too much can slow you down). It really is a man's lifestyle, if you have a bbq and a knife, you don't really need much else.

A crockpot helps too ;)