Piriformis Syndrome- How long did you have to rest?

Options
Cheeta_HH
Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
I went to the doctor last week to get my pain checked out, and as I suspected, it is my piriformis. (The pain started the last week of October. I rested for the week so I could run a 15K on November 4. The pain set back in that night and has been bothering me off and on ever since.)

I went a few days with no pain, so I ran a 3 mile "fun run" Wednesday night. Not my best idea.

I convinced myself that a couple light weeks is all I will need, but now I'm not so sure! I'm registered for a 6 mile run on Thanksgiving morning and I'm not very optimistic about being able to run it!

Anyone else who has had this problem- how long was it before you could run again?

Also, any advice on how to speed it up? I've been icing, foam rolling, stretching, resting, and taking ibuprofen.

Thanks!

Replies

• KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    6 weeks and counting :(

I trained quite hard after an HM in mid September and it flared up, went to physio and then had to stop because I was heading overseas for a holiday, once overseas I didn't run but had to walk everywhere plus little princess wasn't cooperating so had to carry her half the time while walking, which made PF even worse (the plane ride didn't help either)

Came back, went to more physio sessions, am now seeing the worse of it over I think, physio is going to put me on treadmill next week and hopefully give me OK to run very short and flat distances.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I had this - took 6 weeks to get over with 2-3 sesions with a physio a week and NO runing (i cried every day!) - after 6 weeks i was back on the road and got a bit excited, overtrain and did the other leg.

NOw 1 week into treatment no better - crying everyday again...
  • Cheeta_HH
    Options
    Oh no! That is what I'm afraid of! The doctor seemed to think a couple weeks of rest would do the trick, but now it seems like I'm going to need more. Walking is a challenge at the moment.

I'm so afraid that the progress I made will go down the drain!

Do you use the elliptical? How about yoga or any strength training? I don't want to aggravate it, but I can't just sit around and gain all the weight I've lost!

Not being able to do something I love is a bigger concern for me than gaining weight, though. : (
  • KWKY
    Options
    Oh no! That is what I'm afraid of! The doctor seemed to think a couple weeks of rest would do the trick, but now it seems like I'm going to need more. Walking is a challenge at the moment.

I'm so afraid that the progress I made will go down the drain!

Do you use the elliptical? How about yoga or any strength training? I don't want to aggravate it, but I can't just sit around and gain all the weight I've lost!

Not being able to do something I love is a bigger concern for me than gaining weight, though. : (

I am doing a lot of exercise biking and a bit of elliptical, but am finding that with the bike, I can't lean forward as it aggravates the pain, and the elliptical I can't do much more than 20 mins a session otherwise it all starts to hurt again. With the exercise bike I have had to work very hard to get my heart rate up to what I would normally reach when I run, so I am not really enjoying it.

Am definitely eating more now that my hunger isn't suppressed by running :(

Oh I was told not to row, not entirely sure why, but have stayed away from that machine.

Let's hope we all get better soon!
  • Cheeta_HH
    Options
    Thanks!
    I hope you are feeling better too!
  • KWKY
    Options
    Thanks!
    I hope you are feeling better too!

Have finally got the all clear from the physio, so can now do 20 min runs to start, am going to try it on the treadmill tomorrow!

How are you going?
  • Cheeta_HH
    Options
    That is great news for you! How did the treadmill go?

I rested completely for 5 days in a row and went to my yoga class on Tuesday. I had a race today. I was feeling absolutely fine for the past two days, but I really struggled in my race today. Pain set in around the second mile. (Not excrutiating, but uncomfortable.) Also, it was one of those runs when I just never found my rhythm. I think all the resting threw me off. I was really hurting when I finished, but after lots of stretching and ibuprofen, I'm back to feeling fine.

I'm not sure where I'll go from here. I guess I'm going to have to rest more!