What type of dance do you do?

Options
I do mainly ballet. I did some contemporary, jazz, and tap over the summer, though, which was really fun

Replies

• daveinlancs
    daveinlancs Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ballroom, Sequence and a bit of Latin. We take 2 or 3 classes each week and usually find a social dance to go to at the weekend.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My preferred style is zouk - but I also do a lot of samba de gafieira/samba funkeado through an organisation I work for (promoting and teaching Brazilian styles in New Zealand - classes, workshops, festivals, shows and events). Most weeks I'll throw in a little salsa, bachata, merengue, cha or ceroc just to mix it up - but the Brazilian styles are definitely my forte.
  • Quin_Kirk_K
    Quin_Kirk_K Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started dancing 2 years ago with Single time Swing, taking it as a fun class to balance out my harder course work, I then moved into Social Ballroom and Latin, for a few months before taking a class and learning the steps and technique, I then went into more of the Technical Ballroom and Latin side. As well starting West Coast Swing and other club dances. I was on my college's performance team for a few months before I injured my knee causing me to have to leave the team as well as shift away from most of my Latin. I have a basic knowledge of most Partner dances, Country Swing to Viennese Waltz to Paso Doble and Argentine Tango even a little Balboa and Blues. But my main focus and knowledge is West Coast Swing, I'm a competitive West Coast Swing dancer and I love it.
  • jerzanka
    jerzanka Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone :)
    I started my adventure with dance year ago when I joined a semi-amateur group of Irish and Scottish dancers at an University in my city. Now I am lower primary in Irish and still progressing ;) My dream which at my age might never come true (but still it gives me lots of motivation) is to compete at a local feis (championships) some day.
    I can't imagine my life without regular trainings, it's so much fun.
  • Sarah0335
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I stated doing ballroom a couple of years ago. I do mainly American style (so Rhythm and Smooth). I have been taking about one private lesson a week and will go to group glasses one to two days a week. I haven't started competing yet, but I have been thinking about it a lot. One of my motivations for losing weight is for increasing my confidence to help out my dancing.
  • jerzanka
    jerzanka Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sarah: it's a great motivation for sure. Mine is the same: to be faster, lighter and to jump higher. Fortunately dancing is a great fat burner and awesome for muscle building. I don't see much progress in my weight, but recently I bought jeans one size smaller than I did half year ago :)
  • DianaBizak
    DianaBizak Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go dancing close to weekly. We know West Coast Swing, East Coast Swing, Waltz, Salsa, Sweet Heart Schottische, Cowboy Cha-cha, Hustle and Night Club Two Step. I, also, linedance and do Zumba.
  • rkleine74
    Options
    A few months back I started Argentine Tango. I hope to start Salsa this summer, as well. Right now with my job and graduate class, I don't have time for more than one. I love it, though! I started on a whim, and it is so much fun!
  • eternity365
    eternity365 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi, I"m from Lithuania and at the moment I dance salsa, bachata, kizomba. I like all kinds off dancing from folklore to house or modern.
    I started dancing again 4 years ago when I found first group for adults. till then in my town all dancing was for children up till 16:(. It was street dance group, and at that moment I weighted 88 kg. After half a year studio created jazz dance group so from then I danced 4 days a week, 2 days street 2 days jazz. After a year, to that i added salsa as one of my friends from street dance was dancing it and nagged me for about a half year to join her:). from then for a half a year i dance every day except saturday. every day salsa+jazz or street and some days both. Because of my weight and age I had few big injuries and decided to stay with afro latin dances that are not so hard on my body. Tanks to dancing currently I weight 76.5 in summer I was down to 72.9.
  • JasmineOravec
    JasmineOravec Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, I live in the mountains of beautiful Western North Carolina and I practice NIA 2-3 days a week and have for a year and a half. If you haven't heard of NIA, here is a little info about it from their website, nianow.com, where you can also search for class locations worldwide.

"Nia is a sensory-based movement practice that draws from martial arts, dance arts and healing arts. It empowers people of all shapes and sizes by connecting the body, mind, emotions and spirit. Classes are taken barefoot to soul-stirring music in more than 45 countries."

I just started myfitnesspal and I'm really looking forward to reading the topics and posts with this group. I'd also really like to start a NIA group and just need a few new friends to join with me. It is a great way to work out and I read that you can burn anywhere from 400-650 calories in one class. If you are interested in learning more, please send me a message and we can start another fun dancing group.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    belly dancer here!
  • pinkkeith
    Options
    Pretty quiet in this group. I just started up taking dance two months ago. I'm learning waltz, foxtrot, rumba, cha cha and salsa.