Rather proud of myself...

Options
I have been in love with a man for almost a year now. I finally told him so last night. We are very good friends, so it honestly was a complete toss up as to how it would turn out, but I knew I needed to tell him regardless of the outcome. It didn't turn out the way I had hoped, but the funny thing about it is that I'm more relieved than anything. I am so glad that I told him, because it led to an almost two hour conversation between us in which we parted even better friends than before.

No, he doesn't love me back, but that doesn't mean my life is over. It means I can finally stop putting my life on hold to be the person I always thought he wanted and start doing the things I need to do. I would always hesitate about applying to a graduate school across the country (or out of the country), I would worry about an audition which could possibly take me out of state for up to three months. Well, no longer. I don't have to wonder what he is thinking, and I can be free to pursue my life's calling. For the first time in my life, I'm not afraid to be single.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this, perhaps this newfound courage will last all of two weeks, but I've noticed over the past few months that in many ways, I am becoming a much stronger person. This is just one more misconception about myself that I've managed to smash through and emerge victorious, albeit a bit shaken. This isn't going to be the last one either. There just comes a point in your life where you have to live. This is my time. I'm finally ready for it.

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I gotta confess that I teared up a little reading this...I am so proud of you! I think it is great that you went for what you wanted, and even though it didn't work out, now you know and you'll not spend the rest of your life wondering "what if?"

Kudos to you!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the outcome, I applaud your bravery and confidence going through that! It was time to have an answer and finally move on. :flowerforyou:
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    WOW. My heart breaks for u but it also envies you.

I would be very freakin proud of myself if I were in your shoes. Do what you gotta do...be who you gotta be and enjoy every second of it. You deserve it. You earned it.

;)
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Incredible!

What you did takes a lot of courage... A LOT. And to take all of this away from it... Even better!
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Good for you. It's liberating, isn't it? I had a similar situation with a guy once. Told him how I felt and he didn't reciprocate. We became incredibly close best friends not too long after that, and although it never grew into more and my feelings never completely subsided (even now, years later, I still feel something for him in my heart of hearts), it helped to know. At least I didn't have to go through life pining for him.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Love ya Kate! :heart:
  • browneyedgirl7928
    browneyedgirl7928 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I am glad you told him how you felt and now can pursue your dreams. I'm hoping a friend of mine can follow your path as well. She is in a similar situation. She told the guy how she felt and now he is just weird around her and she is ticked off about it. She feels good that she told him, but she was hoping for a much different outcome then him saying he has to think about it. She has gone back and forth on this guy since spring. I swear it changes weekly -- one week she's head over heels and the next week she wants nothing to do with him. I hope she can find the clarity you have found and begin to do the things she loves.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Proud of you. I don't know if I would have had the courage to do what you did but it must be liberating.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    So proud of you. It seems that you have found yourself in this even though there was pain. You can do so much now!
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Kate! The sky is the limit now and you have nothing holding you back. :flowerforyou: Finding the courage to do what you did is tough, but it gets easier from here on out. You have so much to be proud of and look forward to.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! I'm the same way... I just want to know so I can figure out what I need to do. You should be so proud of yourself!! Now you really can focus on yourself anf what YOU want!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    You're awesome. I hope you live the rest of your incredible life with such courage and power as you feel now :)
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    And so you should be! Brava!!
  • Katefab26
    Options
    Thank you all! :heart: :heart:

I do have to give a special thanks to pa_jorg, who was her usual kind and gracious self by making me pancakes and listening to my craziness afterward :tongue: