Maize

Options
Hi,
I was tested a couple of weeks ago for coeliacs disease and it came back as negative. A week ago I started a new way of eating by cutting out wheat, gluten, corn and a couple of other things. I felt so much better until Sunday when I couldn't resist a yorkshire pudding and have felt so badly fatigued last couple of days. I've decided to really try and stick to this new way of eating (if nothing else it has taken me back to cooking healthy and fresh and loving it) but was wondering about maize? I see it is in a lot of gluten free products here in the UK and was wondering if I should still try and eliminate all corn and maize or just try gluten free for a while. Any thoughts?

As a child I had a lactose intolerance but outgrew it. Since I was in my twenties though I have suffered from fatigue, depression, weight management issues, headaches, bloating and constipation. I am now wondering if I am wheat or gluten intolerant as so many of the stories on this group ring true with me.

Anyway, any comments on the maize thing would be welcome :smile:
Kelly

Replies

• dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Resisting food that make me feel ill is easy. To me, nothing tastes as good as feeling well feels.

For years I suffered like you, with more issues also. One being raging un-treatable heartburn.

When I quit wheat in all forms, I felt very good, for the first time in years! My heartburn seemed cured.
    But I began to crave corn things, things I hadn't even eaten in years. So, of course, I ate gluten free corn things.
    But I noticed every time I ate ANY amount of corn, in any form, my stomach would gurgle and within a half an hour my heartburn began. It was down hill from there. Stomach bloating, stopped up head, lethargy, immediate weight gain.

I stopped eating corn, in any form. IF I can stay away from it, I am healthy, vibrant, pain free, energetic. Avoiding wheat is easy compared to corn.

Corn, in the US is VERY hard to avoid, since they use citric acid on fresh foods without labeling them as such. Corn derivatives are hidden everywhere. Corn allergies are on the rise.

I am now grain free, except occasionally a little rice flour.
    What have you got to lose by avoiding grains? Maybe some inflammation, pain, misery? Try eliminating things from your diet for at least two weeks and then test that by having some. Your body will tell you what the test may not have.

Good luck to you!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I am also grain-free.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Some celiacs have minor issues with corn, others no problem. It's kind of a trial and error, elimination thing to know.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    By the way, there is a grain free group if you are looking for help here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/8246-grain-free