Vacation with new baby?

Options
chickybuns
chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
I am a first timer and was wondering how difficult you think it would be to take baby on a vacation in January, which he will be about 2 months then. My parents are renting a condo on the beach in Florida and have invited us for a free stay basically. I figured it would be nice to get away and have live in babysitters for a week! Hubby might come too, just depends on his work. It is about a 14 hour drive, but we would break it up into two days. I assumed we would have to stop every 3 or so hours for him to eat and change him, just wanting opinions!

Replies

• EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm all about continuing with life after tha baby is born and still having fun. Everyone I know said better to travel with a newborn than a toddler b/c newborns don't need entertainment.

Do you need to commit to it now? When my due date gets close I'm not comitting to anything for at least 2 or 3 months because who knows how you'll feel about it when the time comes. Maybe he's a total sweety and love car rides, maybe he cries a lot and hates his car seat (though I think most babies like that car)
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    We did that with our son when he was 2months. Also went to FL but lived there for 2.5months just to get away from the brutal coldness we have in OH. It was a good 17hr drive for us. and it was very peaceful. He slept the entire time, other then the stops for feeding and changing diapers. It was a very smooth ride. But if ur baby will hate driving which some do. It will be torture. My kids fall asleep as soon as they are in the car for a few mins. So traveling with them short or long distance was never stressful. Hopefully urs will enjoy the car rides as well and u'll get to enjoy some sun.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It sounds wonderful. Be prepared that you won't have everything you need when you get there - it is inevitable with a baby that young that you forget some things. Be flexible on your drive and stop when you need to. Most important - have fun.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    It will be fine, so long as you are ok with making regular stops, and breaking up the drive over two days will help a lot. We did a nearby stay in a condo for a week with my parents when our son was five months old, and it was fine. You will need a lot of baby gear, but if you are driving, that shouldn't be a big deal, plus you'll have your car to run out for anything your forgot or need to replenish.
  • ChelseaHamman
    ChelseaHamman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sounds fabulous...as long as you're flexible and/or give lots of time with the drive, you should be fine. If your hubby can't go, I wouldn't suggest all the driving alone BUT if it cant be helped I wouldn't let it stop me! :)
  • mandalu292
    mandalu292 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mom just yet but it sounds great to me! I agree that breaking up the drive over a couple of days should make it easier. We are hoping to do some camping this summer after our baby is born and he/she will only be a couple of months as well. Granted we are staying closer to home (within a few hours) but it will still be interested to camp in a pop up camper with a little one. We shall see!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm a first-timer, so I have no advice to give other than if you Google this topic, you'll probably find a bunch of blogs with advice on how to do it. I know two of my favorite blogs (Rockstar Diaries and Cup of Jo) both did relatively recent posts on traveling with the minis.

My step-son is having his bar mitzvah in Israel this summer, and I'll be traveling with a 9 month old. My husband's ex-wife (step-son's mom) is also pregnant, due in May, and will be traveling with a 3 month old. As it gets closer to the time, I'm going to be researching this topic obsessively.
  • smte
    smte Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My DH and I packed up our 4 wk old, 21 month old and 4 yr old and headed to Arizona for a week....just to get away and hang out as a family. We drove, too (we live in CO, cant remember how long of a drive it was, but we broke it out into 2 days). It went so well on that trip, that we packed the girls up again when the baby was 8 weeks old and drove to California!

It's totally do-able as long as you are flexible and have patience!! I say go for it...especially with the grandparents there!
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear all the positive stories :smile:

Has anyone flown with a baby? We'll be flying from Australia to the US once the baby is 2 months........ SO nervous.
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, this is so do-able. It is true that some babies don't enjoy the car seat. My first always slept in the car, infact when we had tough nights my hubby would take him for a drive! My little girl, who was and still is a bit of a tummy sleeper, HATED the car seat and would just cry even for short journeys, but if I sat in the back next to her and looked at her, stroked her hand she was calmer and did eventually sleep.

We also flew with my boy when he was 4 months old, from NZ to UK. I have to say getting the passport photo was much more challenging than the flight!! You have a bassinet in the bulkhead, so bubba has a place to lie down, main issue with that is that if the seatbelt light is on bubba has to be on your lap with a seatbelt that attaches to yours. A couple of times we had to wake him up to put his seatbelt on and then he didn't get back to sleep. He also stuck completely to his routine, which often meant us being up awake when all the cabin lights were off!

I guess the one thing that would make both more challenging is if breastfeeding doesn't go well. I've no experience of bottle feeding, but it seems much less convenient than just whipping your boob out!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I'm a first-timer, so I have no advice to give other than if you Google this topic, you'll probably find a bunch of blogs with advice on how to do it. I know two of my favorite blogs (Rockstar Diaries and Cup of Jo) both did relatively recent posts on traveling with the minis.

My step-son is having his bar mitzvah in Israel this summer, and I'll be traveling with a 9 month old. My husband's ex-wife (step-son's mom) is also pregnant, due in May, and will be traveling with a 3 month old. As it gets closer to the time, I'm going to be researching this topic obsessively.

For the 9 month old - have plenty of snacks and drinks. Get a bunch of new toys and books (dollar store will even work for some of this). Don't show the toys until you are traveling. About 1 new toy every 1-2 hours seems to work pretty well. That is how we made it through a long trip with 2 very young children.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Traveling with a baby is easy! Especially if you are breastfeeding and babywearing. The big carseat and stroller can be cumbersome, so I would recommend a moby wrap or sling carrier.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Even if the hubby doens't go, I am riding with my parents so there will be people to help along the way. They also have a van which leaves room for all the baby stuff I will have to take!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Good question! We are planning on taking a trip a few months after ours is born too, and it'll be a two-day drive.

Good info here.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

Has anyone flown with a baby? We'll be flying from Australia to the US once the baby is 2 months........ SO nervous.

Hey girl,

I have not flown with a baby, but my sister has. She flew from SC to NJ (obviously much shorter than your flight) when her older son was maybe three months old, and she was by herself (her husband had to stay home). I know carseats are allowed on planes (which you might want so that you can use it in while driving around in the US), but you'd have to buy a seat for your baby. My sister works in aviation law and knows a lot of people who work at the FAA, so she did a lot of research on how to safely travel on a plane with a baby without having to purchase a seat for him. Apparently there is some product called the Baby B'Air that she bought and loved:

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=323&cm_ven=RKG_GoogleBase&cm_cat=OSA_Non-Brand&cm_pla=GoogleBase&cm_ite=GoogleBase&orderType=2&utm_source=RKG_GoogleProducts&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=product&utm_term=GoogleBase

I also know a couple who flew from Atlanta to London recently with their 10-month-old, and I believe they flew Air France, which provided a little bassinet thingie for their baby. However, I believe that they were flying first or business class (fortunately for them, they can afford it). They also brought her infant carrier so that they could use it while traveling around England by car, but I don't believe they had it on the plane.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    PS: I found that Cup of Jo post I mentioned that had travel tips for traveling with babes. Again, I have no idea if these will, in fact, work. Just super-hopeful!!

http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2011/05/motherhood-mondays-traveling-with-baby.html
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Hey girl,

I have not flown with a baby, but my sister has. She flew from SC to NJ (obviously much shorter than your flight) when her older son was maybe three months old, and she was by herself (her husband had to stay home). I know carseats are allowed on planes (which you might want so that you can use it in while driving around in the US), but you'd have to buy a seat for your baby. My sister works in aviation law and knows a lot of people who work at the FAA, so she did a lot of research on how to safely travel on a plane with a baby without having to purchase a seat for him. Apparently there is some product called the Baby B'Air that she bought and loved:

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=323&cm_ven=RKG_GoogleBase&cm_cat=OSA_Non-Brand&cm_pla=GoogleBase&cm_ite=GoogleBase&orderType=2&utm_source=RKG_GoogleProducts&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=product&utm_term=GoogleBase

I also know a couple who flew from Atlanta to London recently with their 10-month-old, and I believe they flew Air France, which provided a little bassinet thingie for their baby. However, I believe that they were flying first or business class (fortunately for them, they can afford it). They also brought her infant carrier so that they could use it while traveling around England by car, but I don't believe they had it on the plane.

From what I gather, you can have an infant in your lap or strapped into a baby carrier that attaches to you. Most airlines will also gate-check strollers and car seats at no extra charge.
  • rubybeach
    Options
    I agree with the others, this is so do-able. It is true that some babies don't enjoy the car seat. My first always slept in the car, infact when we had tough nights my hubby would take him for a drive! My little girl, who was and still is a bit of a tummy sleeper, HATED the car seat and would just cry even for short journeys, but if I sat in the back next to her and looked at her, stroked her hand she was calmer and did eventually sleep.

We also flew with my boy when he was 4 months old, from NZ to UK. I have to say getting the passport photo was much more challenging than the flight!! You have a bassinet in the bulkhead, so bubba has a place to lie down, main issue with that is that if the seatbelt light is on bubba has to be on your lap with a seatbelt that attaches to yours. A couple of times we had to wake him up to put his seatbelt on and then he didn't get back to sleep. He also stuck completely to his routine, which often meant us being up awake when all the cabin lights were off!

I guess the one thing that would make both more challenging is if breastfeeding doesn't go well. I've no experience of bottle feeding, but it seems much less convenient than just whipping your boob out!

Thanks Rachy,

Would you recommend still getting a bassinet even if we will have a seat just for the Bub?

• rubybeach
    Options

Hey girl,

Great tips! Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    We moved 12 hours away when my son was 3 weeks old. It was not that bad we split it up over 2 days and had to stop a lot to feed and change. Its definitely a possibility as long as the people you are with do not mind a new baby.